Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I'm a new rider, never owned a motorcycle until three weeks ago. I took the MSF course and I feel reasonably confident on my 2008 Kingpin. However, I sometimes feel I'm in the wrong gear. I get a lot of chuffing when I shift into higher gears. I also get a lot of pounding noises when I shift sometimes, but not always. Sometimes it's smooth as silk. Any advice? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Hi mate, just stay always above 2200 or 2500 RPM, then it will go smoother, also shift up you can easily go to 4000 RPM

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
My bike doesn't have a tach.
Advice remains true: if the engine is lugging, you’re shifting too early. The motors in Victory bikes love to rev.

Try letting the motor rev a bit higher before you shift up a gear and see what that does to the feel of the ride.

Reactions: SportyDoug

·
13,262 Posts
jamesclaborn
Did you get owner's book? do you know you have to stand the bike upright to check the oil level?
You can not do it on the kickstand

Reactions: jamesclaborn

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

Just google an owners manual for your bike. Now these speeds to shift are kind of a ball park suggestion. Say fir instance 3rd gear to 4th you can probably hit 45 or 50 if your pulling onto a busy road say. But it should give you some guide line.

Reactions: otab

·
Registered
117 Posts
View attachment 252097
Just google an owners manual for your bike. Now these speeds to shift are kind of a ball park suggestion. Say fir instance 3rd gear to 4th you can probably hit 45 or 50 if your pulling onto a busy road say. But it should give you some guide line.
Factory shift points are conservative, I believe, in order to get the rider out of the warranty period. Run second and third out a little bit, and then feel safe at:
60 in 4th
70 in 5th

Those speeds are still conservative, but a safe place to get you used to the bike.

Clutch adjustment is always worth looking at as well.

Best wishes for many fun miles on your Kingpin.

Vic Gunner 2 15.jpg

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yea kind of what I was pointing to. They give you a range to start with. Youll find as you ride more comfortable shift points. It will drop into gear easier. Everytime I have changed bikes the suift points take time to figure out. Be safe have fune and above all pay attention to what the heck is going on around you. Because they sure as hell aint.

Reactions: SportyDoug

·
Registered
78 Posts
Before I got my ‘14 Hammer I was riding a Yamaha cruiser. It didn’t mind if I shifted at a lower rpm’s even with a smaller engine (kinda like the Harleys).
But with a Victory you can make the engine rev like rice burner and it loves it! That took me a while to adjust to, but now I find the higher the rpm when up-shifting the more I’m in the optimal power range once I’m in the next gear.
As far as the clunking shift noise, that’s another Victory anomaly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts