Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used/using them?
what Ive heard Shinko bought all Yokohamas tooling and are now producing decent tyres for reasonable money....I googled and landed on a HD forum and they were raving about them.,
Anyone here had experience with Shinko's 777 tyres?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I wouldn't....

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Anyone used/using them?
what Ive heard Shinko bought all Yokohamas tooling and are now producing decent tyres for reasonable money....I googled and landed on a HD forum and they were raving about them.,
Anyone here had experience with Shinko's 777 tyres?
I used their white walls on my highball. Never had an issue. I didn't ride as hard as you do, but when I traded in my highball for my XC, the shinko tires(tyres) had 7800 miles/ 12,552 kms on them and still looked great to me. Handled better than the stock dunlop, that's for sure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I bought my 2013 Judge in July 2017, it had a new 777 on the rear and a new Route 66 tire on front. I thought that I would replace these tires right away since I have always used Metzler 888s and now Michelin Commander 2s on my other bike which is a VTX, but I have been impressed with both tires. They handle good, and still look good after 8-9 months so I do not plan to replace them until I need to. I got catch in a rain storm a few days ago about 50 miles from home and was impressed with the way they handed the wet weather. They seem like good tires to me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ran two sets of Shinkos on my Vstrom 1000. No complaints other than I wear them out between 7 - 8,000 miles..

·
Registered
103 Posts
I will be putting them on the KingPin this year. Im not putting as many miles on it since I got the FJR so the cost is a big factor. I have been running Shinko on my vintage Z1900's and they handle well

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ran two sets of Shinkos on my Vstrom 1000. No complaints other than I wear them out between 7 - 8,000 miles..
Well thats good mileage for me anyway as DownUnder we get less mileage than in the Northern Hemisphere..
I get 8000kms out of a rear Night Dragon and probably double that since Ive gone to the fatter XC front wheel / ND tyre combo.
Thats kms , miles would be 5K
No burnouts .
Quite strange really your dynos show greater power yet your tyres last much longer, and it cant be just cos its spelled differently...
Anyway good to get an honest opinion as opposed to fear driven propaganda and brainwashing .
Thanks, and keep those answers and opinions coming...

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Well thats good mileage for me anyway as DownUnder we get less mileage than in the Northern Hemisphere..
I get 8000kms out of a rear Night Dragon and probably double that since Ive gone to the fatter XC front wheel / ND tyre combo.
Thats kms , miles would be 5K
No burnouts .
Quite strange really your dynos show greater power yet your tyres last much longer, and it cant be just cos its spelled differently...
Anyway good to get an honest opinion as opposed to fear driven propaganda and brainwashing .
Thanks, and keep those answers and opinions coming...
How does the hemisphere relate to tire wear?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ran about 3k on them this year over 100 plenty of times. Good tires no complaints at all. Way better than the stock dunlops but that's not saying much. I had cobras on my meanstreak and they were close to par with them. I give them a solid 7 closer to an 8. Probably be my tire for life of the vic.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How does the hemisphere relate to tire wear?
I dont really know but we wear out tyres faster!...
And the same engine dynoed up there produces less power here.
I doubt that you Northerners would deliberately doctor your dynos and engines and cars shipped here never make their claimed power output.
I suspect its something to do with the Earths magnetic field...after all the water swirls down the plughole in a different direction and our storms rotate in opposite directions so one would think theres bigger forces at play that affect such things.
Or maybe Aussies just ride harder to make up for the power defecit:smile

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought you just put on some night dragons?
Yeah was on a big trip at Easter and the bike shops at my destination Bathurst didnt have anything 180 55 18
Only the Hardly shop at Orange and they wanted Hardly prices for a D407 Dunny!
So I changed it prematurely at Tamworth rather than risk going bald (tyre not me)
In the middle of nowhere or copping a double demerit fine at a police stop.
It was Easter after all.....
Next set will only be a few months away so Im planning ahead...
Considerable saving on a grippy tyre is not to be sneezed at.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ran about 3k on them this year over 100 plenty of times. Good tires no complaints at all. Way better than the stock dunlops but that's not saying much. I had cobras on my meanstreak and they were close to par with them. I give them a solid 7 closer to an 8. Probably be my tire for life of the vic.
Cool, thanks mate, I see youre running similar mods and output to me too.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Metzeler's on my Sportster developed cracks all over the sidewalls at 6k miles. Next tires will be Shinko's or Kenda's.
Were they German or Brazillian Metzelers?
Gonna try a pair of Shinko 777's next time but Kendas?? No ..wouldnt use them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I read where this happened on the dyno. Do you want to put your life on a cheap tire
How do we know if this is in fact a Shinko tyre VJ and if it is, do we know the history of it?

I used to run Metzeler Marathons on my Harley and had nothing but trouble with them once they swapped to Brazilian manufacture.

If Metzeler can go from being good to being rubbish then surely another company can do the opposite and create an improved product. I'd be prepared to give these Shinkos a go.

Our Victories aren't exactly MotoGP bikes boys!

Actually MBX, you've got me thinking now. Seeing as the rear hoop on my Road King's now well and truly worn out I'll have a look at the specs of one of these Shinkos and give one a whirl if it measures up okay.

Russ.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
How do we know if this is in fact a Shinko tyre VJ and if it is, do we know the history of it?

I used to run Metzeler Marathons on my Harley and had nothing but trouble with them once they swapped to Brazilian manufacture.

If Metzeler can go from being good to being rubbish then surely another company can do the opposite and create an improved product. I'd be prepared to give these Shinkos a go.

Our Victories aren't exactly MotoGP bikes boys!

Actually MBX, you've got me thinking now. Seeing as the rear hoop on my Road King's now well and truly worn out I'll have a look at the specs of one of these Shinkos and give one a whirl if it measures up okay.

Russ.
It was a Harley forum I chanced upon when I googled them.
I was doing a search on ebay for 180 55 18 as I knew Bathurst trip would hit the treadwear indicators.
I saw a matched pair for $380 Aust and $25 shipping from Melb
Heres the link

http://r.ebay.com/Lpm9cm

Considering I paid $350 fitted for a rear Night Dragon at Tamworth for $55 more I coulda had a front tyre too.
Say 10-20 each to fit em if I take the wheels off....makes sense to me.
And like you say we arent riding Moto GP .
Or Gixxers or Ducatis either for that fact.
Theres plenty unused rubber on the sides of my tyres and my pegs are fairly worn down.
Night Dragons are great, dont get me wrong, but are overkill on a 200kph speed limited cruiser.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have a shinko on the back of my Cross Country. I like it. I saw a metzler come aprt like that on a Dino once.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts