Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my last few thousand miles on my XC before I trade for an Indian, so I cheaped out a bit and put a Shinko on the rear. (I've read that they aren't a bad tire) With my OEM tires, my TPMS shows that my front increases about 3-4 psi as it heats up and the rear increases about 4-5 psi. This has been a consistent situation for about 12K miles now. The Shinko increases about 8 psi as it warms up! Assuming the generalization that there is a 1 psi gain for every 10 degrees of temp increase, that means the Shinko is running 30-40 degrees warmer than the OEM tire did. Interesting....

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've yet to hear anything good about shinkos other than "they're cheap" so I'm not terribly surprised that they would build up excessive heat. Heat in any tire is the result of carcass/tread flex and the resulting friction. On a bike that flex is primarily the result of braking and acceleration forces, followed by cornering loads, and lastly rolling resistance. Given the style of bike we're talking about I would guess that brake/accel/corner loading isn't huge (it's not a sport bike after all) so that implies the heat buildup is just the result of flex/friction from simply rolling down the road. I haven't looked into the tires enough to know much about the actual product line but again the implication here is that the tire simply isn't built to handle the weight of a larger bike so the carcass is flexing too much resulting in excess heat buildup.

Cheap parts have their place (as in your case, the last couple k's before trading in) but beyond that i dunno.

·
Registered
545 Posts
This is my last few thousand miles on my XC before I trade for an Indian, so I cheaped out a bit and put a Shinko on the rear. (I've read that they aren't a bad tire) With my OEM tires, my TPMS shows that my front increases about 3-4 psi as it heats up and the rear increases about 4-5 psi. This has been a consistent situation for about 12K miles now. The Shinko increases about 8 psi as it warms up! Assuming the generalization that there is a 1 psi gain for every 10 degrees of temp increase, that means the Shinko is running 30-40 degrees warmer than the OEM tire did. Interesting....

I would be interested to know which Shinko tire model # and size that you put on...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shinko Journey
OEM size (180/60/16)

Load rating is 74 (827 lbs)
OEM load rating was 80 (992 lbs)

The new load rating is substantially less, but far exceeds the weight I have on the rear tire.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Shinko Journey
OEM size (180/60/16)

Load rating is 74 (827 lbs)
OEM load rating was 80 (992 lbs)

The new load rating is substantially less, but far exceeds the weight I have on the rear tire.
That's why it runs hotter... it is a reduced speed and load rated tire so it working harder. Has nothing to do with the quality aspect of the Shinko tires... I am sorry that more and more people are buying them because the price keeps going up.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I just bought 2 of the 005 Advance tires for my bike. The reviews I have read on them are 'fair to good'.... but for the money you cant expect "excellent".

If you want to spend $300 per tire for excellence then thats a choice you have, but for a street touring model bike (not a race track bike) then these tires are good enough.

Mind you also that Shinko is a derivative of Yokohama tire company in that the molds used are all Yokohama molds. They are manufactured in South Korea but designed by Japanese engineers that designed the Yokohama car tires which are "EXCELLENT" tires for on track and street.

So consider the 'source'.... thumb up

·
Registered
611 Posts
I just bought 2 of the 005 Advance tires for my bike. The reviews I have read on them are 'fair to good'.... but for the money you cant expect "excellent".

If you want to spend $300 per tire for excellence then thats a choice you have, but for a street touring model bike (not a race track bike) then these tires are good enough.

Mind you also that Shinko is a derivative of Yokohama tire company in that the molds used are all Yokohama molds. They are manufactured in South Korea but designed by Japanese engineers that designed the Yokohama car tires which are "EXCELLENT" tires for on track and street.

So consider the 'source'.... thumb up
Didn't know that about yokohama. However, the same argument could be made that Dnepr's are good bikes because they are made from the same tooling that BMW used....

·
12,983 Posts
I have a Metzler 880 on the front and it will grow 4 psi after a hundred day ride.
It the rear I have a CT 195/55-16 and it will grow 3 psi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts