Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much extra air pressure are you adding to the suggested pressure after you install the 1.5" drop, 10%? 20%?

thanks all
Renoooorider

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I haven't lowered my XR, but I'll take a flyer and suggest 25 psi for a start. If the rear feels too harsh, loose some air. If to soft, add some air. Its really quite subjective and personal.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Personally, I didn't change the setting in the rear shock after my drop kit. I went with a 1" drop kit and I stayed at my setting from there. I run 31 psi in mine and I kept the setting the same.

·
Premium Member
13,609 Posts
I dropped mine 1" and found 50 psi to be about right but it really depends on your weight and if you're gonna have a passenger.

The thing you don't want is for your shock to bottom out. It will lose its ability to hold air if it happens enough times.

·
13,172 Posts
Keep in mind you can't add air in the middle of the ride. Start out with maybe 50 and go from there. It depends on how big you are

·
13,172 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
How much extra air pressure are you adding to the suggested pressure after you install the 1.5" drop, 10%? 20%?

thanks all
Renoooorider
The decal on the underside of the right bag has air pressures for "LOW". Mine says 42 pounds for a 200 pound rider.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Keep in mind you can't add air in the middle of the ride.
Huh, why not? I like to keep my ride as cushy as possible but if I find myself on a stretch of particularly dippy road that has me bouncing up and down it's very easy to pull over and add some air to stiffen up the ride, let it back out when back on smoother surface.

·
Premium Member
13,609 Posts
Huh, why not? I like to keep my ride as cushy as possible but if I find myself on a stretch of particularly dippy road that has me bouncing up and down it's very easy to pull over and add some air to stiffen up the ride, let it back out when back on smoother surface.
I think he meant as you ride down the road but if someone has a compressor set up it could be as simple as pushing a button. I've often thought any premium touring bike with air shocks should have them stock or at least have it as a reasonably priced option; like under $500.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think he meant as you ride down the road but if someone has a compressor set up it could be as simple as pushing a button. I've often thought any premium touring bike with air shocks should have them stock or at least have it as a reasonably priced option; like under $500.
Keep in mind that you have to use a low pressure air pump for the air shock or you will rupture the air bladder inside the shock. Never hook a compressor driven source up that air shock unless you can limit the pressure to extremely low pressures. Ask me how i know this............:grin

·
Premium Member
13,609 Posts
You can buy kits for this. HMD and Witchdoctors comes to mind. They are governed so you don't blow the bladder in the shock. You can lower or increase the psi with the push of a button.

Some custom builds use the shock as a kick stand by lowering the frame all the way down so it sits on 4 spots built into or bolted to the frame.

But yes, as far as using hand held or shop compressors to pump up the shock, it's not a good idea.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Ok I get it, I misunderstood the comment. Yes I have a lossless low pressure hand pump and it is so easy to check or change the pressure on the fly, but you do have to stop and get off the bike to do it.

For what it's worth, a few days ago I finally raised my bike back up as I was bottoming out in dips with a passenger. My bike was lowered when I got it used last spring and we have had to be careful on dippy roads to avoid that jarring jolt which would seem to come out of nowhere. Finally got tired of that and put the bike on a lift a few days ago to see how far the thing was really lowered, and see if I could raise it back up an inch or so. To my great pleasure I discovered the previous owner had used an ADJUSTABLE LINK which he had dialed almost all the way down. I cranked it up 1.25" and noticed no discernable difference in ride quality of handling, and really hardly any difference visually either. The bike still looks lowered and mean. It rode fine for me but with a passenger we immediately scraped exhaust tips leaving the driveway. That's when I remembered I had never added any air back into the shock after adjusting the link (on zero). Pull over and add 30lbs - took off and found a real good dip that would have jammed our spines before, and glided over that puppy like buttah!!

·
13,172 Posts
Incase your wondering what a shock looks like all a part here you go. From what the guy said at old post here you could rebuild it

Attachments

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
A ways back, someone posted about disassembling and rebuilding a rear shock. Anyone got that and can you post a link here?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts