Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several videos on moving the shock valve on my cross country. My goal is to put it in a place that is easily accessible without having to remove the side cover. Ideally it would be somewhat concealed but in the end I want it easy to get to. Just wondering what places you guys out there have put it. Thanks! Adam

·
Premium Member
244 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I have seen several videos on moving the shock valve on my cross country. My goal is to put it in a place that is easily accessible without having to remove the side cover. Ideally it would be somewhat concealed but in the end I want it easy to get to. Just wondering what places you guys out there have put it. Thanks! Adam
Three years ago I put up a detailed write-up on my web site of accomplishing that. See:

Adding an External Schrader Valve for the Air Shock on a Victory Cross Country Motorcycle

I wound up drilling through the right side cover, but don't get freaked out by that (as I'm aware that drilling through perfectly good plastic isn't something that many folks like to do) -- I also have a link in that article to two threads here:

1) Shock Air Hose Detachable? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum -- I brought up this issue.

2) http://www.victoryforums.com/34-victory-cross-country-cross-roads/59042-quick-ez-way-relocate-shock-filler-nipple.html -- @MTVic actually accomplished this.

It's that second thread that you'll want to read. No cutting or drilling involved, and placement on both sides of the bike (near the back end of the gas tank, underneath) is discussed in assorted responses.

You may still want to read my DIY page, to get an idea of the products involved, the size of the socket needed, and maybe some other useful tidbits.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I check my CCT rear shock air pressure every few weeks. I never found removing the side cover to be an issue or an inconvenience. What are you guys experiencing that I'm not?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I check my CCT rear shock air pressure every few weeks. I never found removing the side cover to be an issue or an inconvenience. What are you guys experiencing that I'm not?
Well, maybe you're not as ham-handed as some of us.

Before I did my shock-relocation mod (see Adding an External Schrader Valve for the Air Shock on a Victory Cross Country Motorcycle ), I was constantly bumping into the saddlebag guard and/or the edge of the passenger mini-board, risking scratching the side cover. I soon changed my procedure to put a rag around that guard, and a second one draped over the mini-board, to prevent that.

(I know from prior posts that some folks with XRs and XCs don't quite realize the XCT problem, because those bikes don't have as much interference -- an inch or so away -- regarding the side covers. But since you have an XCT, you know what I'm talking about.)

Additionally, every time you remove a side cover, even if you don't scratch it you risk, possibly, breaking a barb, or damaging or losing a grommet. Or not putting the three barbs securely back in, in which case you risk losing a side cover. (By contrast, the new Yamaha Venture, which I saw at Americade yesterday), has a lock on one side and dzus fasteners on the other, in addition to barbs. And it also has a straight shot at removing the cover.)

So, that's it. Nothing insurmountable with removing the cover, but much more enjoyable not to have to mess with it at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I rerouted mine to the left side, just in front of the side cover. If you look (at least on my XC) there is a plastic tab/ear with a hole in it. I just took a drill, bored the hole a bit and rerouted my line to there. No need to remove the cover to check the air.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
That is what I did with mine as well, it is write up number 2 that wspollack mentioned. I have he saddlebag guards which made it more of a pain but the biggest problem I had was that after taking off and removing the cover sometimes twice a week the barbs got to where they were not holding very well.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I rerouted mine to the left side, just in front of the side cover. If you look (at least on my XC) there is a plastic tab/ear with a hole in it. I just took a drill, bored the hole a bit and rerouted my line to there. No need to remove the cover to check the air.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Did you have to put an extension on the hose and if so how long? or was the original long enough?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Did you have to put an extension on the hose and if so how long? or was the original long enough?

Thanks
I'm not @AzRocket, but I can tell you that you'll need an extension. Take a few minutes to read the threads -- and my over-kill variant DIY (which has lots of pictures) -- I cited in post #5 above, and you can see how it's done.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
I believe in simple and easy. Here's my extension simply zip-tied in place so it just peeks out from behind the side cover and the rear cylinder. I have the hoses made for me at an air/oil supply firm. 9" length does the trick.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts