Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant seem to find it anywhere with search nor on the Victory website. Can anyone lead me to a link?

Is there any downside to replacing the stock long antenna with the short one? even with the Trunk on?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Cant seem to find it anywhere with search nor on the Victory website. Can anyone lead me to a link?

Is there any downside to replacing the stock long antenna with the short one? even with the Trunk on?

Thanks
Believe Blue Bird said he purchased one from Auto Zone and it installed into factory mount.

quote:The antenna I bought from Auto Zone. It is still rigidbut it is much shorter than the stock, because it is spiral wrapped. It screwed right into the factory mount with no mods.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree. As far as I know, Victory does not make a short antenna replacement. I've read different places where folks just go to an auto parts store and buy one off the shelf and either modify it to work or it works as is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks
A Universal AW-RMF2 spiral mast antenna will work. Auto-Zone has them.... about $15 as I recall. Packaged under "Raptor" brand name.... made in China

·
Registered
6 Posts
Crebri..... just installed... haven't had a chance to ride in last few days (rain & Easter).... As I recall, on the VMC site, most all said as good or better reception.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought the spiral wound one from Advance Auto Parts. If you unscrew the antenna out of the little mounting base, it will screw right into the OEM mount on the XC.

I was thinking I got it from Auto Zone, but it was Advance.

Mine did not affect the reception at all.

J

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bought mine from Advanced Auto. It is extremely flexible and have heard others say you can actually bend it and strap it to the side bag supports to hide it completely if you like. Mine just sticks out the back about a foot. No change in reception at all. It does come with several adaptors but none of them fit the stock conector so I found a bolt that fit and cut off the head and it worked. Cost me $7.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Advance Auto, at least out here does NOT have part # AW-RMF2 in their database. They had CF-RMF2 , universal spiral replacement mast from Metra (china). $10 bucks. Figured Id try to see if it works. the adapter screws provided do not fit. Figure Ill go to the store and see if I can find a matching bolt like Ranman did...

However, in looking at the stock antenna, I started wondering if you could simply cut it down and put the rubber cap back on????

UPDATE: Picked up a Hex screw- M6 35. Cut off the hex head and it fits perfect. I still wonder if cutting down the stock antenna would be a free mod. Unless the spiral antennas have something in there to amplify the reception to compensate for its shorter length... if thats even an issue?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Harpo,

A. You need the overall length of the element for proper reception. I think it is 32"s
B. Take a good look at that antenna. The spiral wound part has a threaded end and is screwed into that tapered base.
Mine unscrewed out of the base. You can then screw the antenna directly into the mount on the bike.(no adapter needed):D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I understand correctly, yes, my stock antenna screwed out of the mounting base. However, the antenna portion was fitted in a sleeve and crimped, so I could not remove the antenna portion.

The new shorter antenna does not have a threaded screw already in there. I was supposed to use one of the adapter screws to screw in one end into the short antenna base, and the other end into the mount. None of them fit the mount, but the thread for the mount is the same as the short antenna base. Maybe that is the difference in the part numbers of the antennas we got from Advance Auto?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Advance Auto, at least out here does NOT have part # AW-RMF2 in their database. They had CF-RMF2 , universal spiral replacement mast from Metra (china). $10 bucks. Figured Id try to see if it works. the adapter screws provided do not fit. Figure Ill go to the store and see if I can find a matching bolt like Ranman did...

However, in looking at the stock antenna, I started wondering if you could simply cut it down and put the rubber cap back on????

UPDATE: Picked up a Hex screw- M6 35. Cut off the hex head and it fits perfect. I still wonder if cutting down the stock antenna would be a free mod. Unless the spiral antennas have something in there to amplify the reception to compensate for its shorter length... if thats even an issue?
Bought mine from Auto Zone, Spiral wound about 15" long none of the adaptors worked, so I figured out that the Antena unsrewed form the base and then screwed directly into Victory mount as Jared stated. Sorry about not having P/N, through out package. But is was the only Antena that short that was spiral wound that looked like Jared's pic of bike. ( Under thead "another Blue one")

·
Registered
26 Posts
Harpo,

Look closely at your new antenna. If it is the same one we bought, the spiral wound part will unscrew out of the base. I wish I was home, so I could take a quick photo and show you.

I guess it doesn't really matter if you have already gone through the trouble of adapting it.

No worriescheers

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought one of the spiral jobbies from Auto Zone and made it work with some adaptaion. When riding on one of my favorite runs last weekend noticed a definite degradation in signal strength. WIll probably go back to the stock attenae for now.

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
I used a flexible antenna from Biketronics. Made an adapter screw from a fully threaded brass bolt I had laying around and put a bit of dielectric grease on both ends for best connection and reception. Works as good as stock; at least in my area.

https://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BT89

Edit: In response to "SimpleTruth's" post below; I think it's a fantastic alternative to the Auto Zone or Advanced Auto products but I don't think it's any better than the "Biketronics" product simply because Biketronics has these dang thing made to a different level of quality over the Auto places. I really can't emphasis enough; the Biketronics antenna are made for bikes and they keep their product cost in line with the car product.

Just sayin' folks...

PS: The Biketronics company is a small but caring (about bikers) company. I think they deserve our business, even if for no other reason, they're family. JMHO. Let's take care of our own, aye. :)

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I bought one of the spiral jobbies from Auto Zone and made it work with some adaptaion. When riding on one of my favorite runs last weekend noticed a definite degradation in signal strength. WIll probably go back to the stock attenae for now.
I had the same problem with my Short Spiral from Auto Zone once I got a little out of town I started to loose reception. I believe I found a better antena from Auto Zone that is still short. It is the Raptor AW-RMBC High Performance Amplified Replacement Mast. I installed it today the took a ride about 25 miles out side of town. I did not lose any reception, as a mater of fact I picked up a few stations I couldn't get with other antena. Had to do one mod, and that was cut off the bolt head of a M6-1.00x30 metric cap screw. I cut about 2 threads down from the Cap of the screw, screwed the bolt stud into the base of the Antena then screwed Antena into the Vic Antena mount.
Now I got good reception without a 3' Antena sticking out of my Luggage rack. Also this new antena telescopes.
I'm going to attempt to post picks of how it looks on Bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Autozone raptor 14" antenna $8 and one 6x1mm screw ($.50from what I remember) that I cut off the head and screwed in. Took 5 mins...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just did the Raptor AW-RMBC antenna mod about 4 days ago. I'm in central FL and it seems to be working well. Well pleased with the reception and looks.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Old thread but still valid

Hey, I just found something that may or may not be useful to others.

My wife's XCT is like all others. We don't like that huge eye poker of an antenna that Vic thinks is a good idea. I had always planned on either removing it (she listens almost exclusively to XM) or find something shorter that is just as functional.

Well, on an interesting side story, my wife's Mini Cooper Convertible had an antenna that was about 1.5' and mounted directly centered on top of the windshield. A Mini stubby antenna was in order.

When I unscrewed the longer Mini antenna I thought that it would be a PERFECT ANTENNA FOR THE XCT. Holy crap!

So, on comparing both the OEM Vic and Mini antennas, both had the same threaded stud but the Mini's was much shorter. It wouldn't reach the threaded part on the bike without shaving some rubber.

With a little trimming of the rubber on the bottom of the Mini antenna, it screwed into the XCT with zero issues.

Before I swapped them, I put on a radio station that wasn't coming in totally clear. A little static was present. After I screwed in the Mini antenna the station was clear.

Go figure. An antenna on a BMW/Mini works perfectly on the Vic.

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
Good find Mike! Can you give us a direct link to the exact part that will work? The link below has lots of BMW Mini antennae to choose from. I'm fairly happy with the one I used from Biketronics but if the Mini antennae is better; what the heck. Especially if it's in the 20-30 dollar range!

http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=140

1 - 20 of 41 Posts