Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my XCT
I installed an adj lowering link and need a bit more lean on the stand.

I'm thinking I'd make a pair of cuts at 45 degree angle mid-shaft and put a heavy bevel on the ends and have someone TIG it back up. Then dress the welds myself if needed and hit with a rattle can.

Tigging would run me about $30 as opposed to $ 140 for the WD shorty stand. And I could dictate the finished length. I only lowered the bike an inch. I know WD says a shorty stand isn't needed but my bike def needs to lean a bit more.

I don't know if the bar is mild steel or 4140 or other alloy.

Anyone done this?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
huh, i run my stock stand with 2" drop, no issues, have to watch where i park at times but thats it.

ive shortened stock stands on other bikes but not this one, it wont take much shortening of it to lean more. some have just taken the rubber pad off the bottom, but that also acts as a cushion i believe when its up

·
13,177 Posts
don't use any heat of any kind on the stand. It will weaken steel and fail on you one day.
Find a bike shop or some with a press and bend the stand. Lay the stand across two steel block and bend in the middle. Is the best way.
Not your bike but this trick works great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzJf2PRTJH0

·
Registered
418 Posts
My stock stand bent on it's own on my XCT, I would not do anything to weaken the stock stand. My bike is stock height too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have run the stock stand since lowering the bike 1" when it was new. No issues of any kind.
All of my friends that lowered the bike and changed the kickstand have gone back to stock.
YMMV

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you are dead set on a shorter kickstand, I have one. I thought i would need it because i was initally planning on lowering further than where I ended up. Brand new never bolted it on. $40 plus shipping . I wouldn't try heating or bending personally on stock one for the simple "what if" situation is not gonna be very pretty if it does fail.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sent you a PM

thanks

If you are dead set on a shorter kickstand, I have one. I thought i would need it because i was initally planning on lowering further than where I ended up. Brand new never bolted it on. $40 plus shipping . I wouldn't try heating or bending personally on stock one for the simple "what if" situation is not gonna be very pretty if it does fail.[/Q

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are dead set on a shorter kickstand, I have one. I thought i would need it because i was initally planning on lowering further than where I ended up. Brand new never bolted it on. $40 plus shipping . I wouldn't try heating or bending personally on stock one for the simple "what if" situation is not gonna be very pretty if it does fail.
Sincere thanks to Good-One67 for a killer deal on the WD short stand. I finally got it installed today and the lean is now perfect.
My XCT definitely needed it.
It's actually a pretty easy switch out with the bike jacked up a foot or so.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Your welcome, glad it all worked out the way you needed. Ride safe!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is my lowered XCT with the shorter stand in place. I like that this stand doesn't need the rubber 'shoe' to act as a bumper like the OEM one does.

·
13,177 Posts
MMGUT
hope you didn't use heat.
Put in press and bend it

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
VJ refer to post #9. The OP bought a Witchdoctors short kickstand.

·
Registered
450 Posts
don't use any heat of any kind on the stand. It will weaken steel and fail on you one day.
Find a bike shop or some with a press and bend the stand. Lay the stand across two steel block and bend in the middle. Is the best way.
Not your bike but this trick works great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzJf2PRTJH0
That penny trick is slick! Thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm glad the OP got a great deal to resolve his issue. I do have a question.... Is our side stand solid or tubular? I've never paid much attention as I've had no issue others than cleaning.

·
13,177 Posts
I'm glad the OP got a great deal to resolve his issue. I do have a question.... Is our side stand solid or tubular? I've never paid much attention as I've had no issue others than cleaning.
Its solid steel.

when you bend it you only bending it about 1/8" if that and its still as strong as new

1 - 19 of 19 Posts