Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Shorty Antenna for '13 XCT

13K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  sixshooter_45 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone seen a shorty antenna for my '13 XCT? I found one at www.cyclesolutions.net but I am hoping y'all know of one for much less than the list price from above of $66.49. I see where Kuryakyn has a replacement shorty antenna for Harley priced at $35. Does anyone know if the Kuryakyn antenna is compatible with Victory? I asked Kuryakyn if their Billet 11" antenna will fit Victory. I'll let y'all know if so or if I find one for cheaper than $66.50. Found one at Phat Performance for a Vision for $15. Anyone know if it fits XCT? Thanks

#3 ·
I think people are going to auto zone and picking up a shortie for quite a bit less..

Thanks, did search after I asked the question. Some one told me to search first, ask second, but i don't learn good. Found several who used Advanced Auto and Auto Zone products with some success. Have to change or make thread adapter to screw into Victory antenna mount. Looks like best way to go.

#4 ·
shorty

I picked up mine in the automotive department at Walmart. It is just a generic that came with threaded adapters. You will find that with your trunk on, the stock antenna will work better. I use the shorty when my trunk is removed. Looks a whole lot better thumb up

#5 ·
#8 ·
Just curious if you had looked into firestik. http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Not sure if that is what your after or not.

Safe riddin, Tim
Too bad they don't carry radio antenna's; just CB. I'd get one in red to match some of the other red highlights on the bike.

I have been using the Biketronics antenna I got through Phatperformance. It works ok but not quite as good as the stocker and I did have to make an adapter out of a skinny bolt I had laying around. I like supporting Biketronics because they are American and they have excellent tech support. I recently had to send some guaranteed for life speakers in for replacement and it was no problem at all.

https://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BT89

The ones at the auto parts stores will probably be just fine too. Just use some dielectric grease when screwing it all together for best reception and to keep it from corroding.

#6 ·
After reading another post one here about antennas I bought a HD antenna and put it on my XC. The radio reception is WAY better (I got the standard HD antenna with the spring on it). Victory antennas had the threaded rod as part of the antenna and HD has the rod on the bike. I bought the correct size rod, screwed it in to the HD antenna, cut it to length and screwed it into the Victory mount on the bike.

#9 ·
Weird, i got on here to post about the same thing. I have been to Autozone, O'Reilly's and Advanced in my area and none are what i'm looking for. The one i did buy i managed to make it fit, but didn't work worth a broke dick. I went to my local HD shop and like above, i noticed that they are female to male antenna's, ours our male to female. So i left without further inspection.

I seen the "hidden" antenna and was gonna pick it up but i wasn't sure if the radio had the antenna plug in like a normal car radio or not. So i guess that is my question. Does the antenna plug into the Victory radio like a car antenna? If so, i may go that direction.

#10 · (Edited)
One of my co-workers bought a XC 2013, went to O’Reilly’s and bought a car radio antenna for around $11.00, and said it worked great. I think he stated that he had to buy a metric bolt and cut it to length to mount it.

I'm going to give it a try and see how it works with my trunk mounted.

#11 ·
I got a 14" flexible antenna at Advance Auto last Spring. I think it was $7. It came with various threaded bike-to-antenna adapters, one of which worked fine.

The only fabrication work I had to do was this: it also came with a separate plastic cover for the connection area and, with whatever adapter I used, and how many threads it went into the bike, that adapter (which was maybe 2") was about 1" too long. So I had to take a hacksaw to shorten that plastic cover a bit.

Attachments

#14 ·
Pretty sure some folks have done that (successfully), but you might want to wait for them to chime in.

#16 ·
I have been waiting to get this antenna. I received it last night. It took me maybe 20 minutes to put it in, including taking pics for you.

BestDealUSA Universal Am-Fm Am Fm Hidden Windshield Antenna Car Radio
Sold by globaldealshop
Condition: new
$5.73

Item Subtotal: $5.73
Shipping & Handling: $0.51
Total Before Tax: $6.24
Shipment Total: $6.24
Paid by Visa: $6.24

Remove headlight and unplug antenna from the radio. There is a plug coming from the right hand side as you are looking into the fairing / headlight hole.

Plug new antenna into radio and affix antenna to inside of fairing. ( just used packing tape)

Re-install headlight assy.

Go to the rear of the bike and remove the right saddlebag. With a pair of pliers, hike up the rubber boot over the antenna base to expose the nut that secures the antenna. Remove the antenna and re-install the saddlebag. If you are really energetic; you could remove the antenna wire, but that would be a lot of work.

I tested the radio on some distant radio stations and it came in more clear with the new antenna. The weather station came in clear too.

All for $6.24 and 20 minutes of my time. (The weather is crappy anyway) KEN

#17 ·
I have been waiting to get this antenna. I received it last night. It took me maybe 20 minutes to put it in, including taking pics for you.

BestDealUSA Universal Am-Fm Am Fm Hidden Windshield Antenna Car Radio
Sold by globaldealshop
Condition: new
$5.73

Item Subtotal: $5.73
Shipping & Handling: $0.51
Total Before Tax: $6.24
Shipment Total: $6.24
Paid by Visa: $6.24

Remove headlight and unplug antenna from the radio. There is a plug coming from the right hand side as you are looking into the fairing / headlight hole.

Plug new antenna into radio and affix antenna to inside of fairing. ( just used packing tape)

Re-install headlight assy.

Go to the rear of the bike and remove the right saddlebag. With a pair of pliers, hike up the rubber boot over the antenna base to expose the nut that secures the antenna. Remove the antenna and re-install the saddlebag. If you are really energetic; you could remove the antenna wire, but that would be a lot of work.

I tested the radio on some distant radio stations and it came in more clear with the new antenna. The weather station came in clear too.

All for $6.24 and 20 minutes of my time. (The weather is crappy anyway) KEN

Great Idea, report back when you can test it for range, thanks!

#20 ·
One of the only things so far that I wasn't satisfied with on my 2011 CC was the tall radio antenna and the poor radio reception, I live in the sticks so the radio reception was expected. I purchased a short (apx 4") anntenna replacement from ebay for $4.44 including shipping. It came with the adapters to fit and was a very easy install. Bike looks better, easier to put on cover and I have better radio reception as well.

Ride on....

#22 ·
I might have gone with something like that if I could have found it.

Do you have a link to share with others and some pics of it on your bike?

#26 ·
Found Shorty

Thanks for all suggestions for shorty antenna. Found one at Auto Zone with a little skull on the end. Cut the head off 6m bolt which fit the new antenna and the threads on Victory mount. Works great, looks cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.