Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried taking off muffler putting shorty exhaust "tips" on their Hammer? How does it sound/run?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
factory headers are said to be good, cats are debatable. unless really light a sturdy mount is the issue, surely someone has tried it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard for me to justify spending $800 for exhaust at this point when they sell $50 tips..

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Lot's of people have been doing it for years. I would suggest allowing the cats to "fall out"; since it's a steel frame. I would also look at a velocity device of some type. Like a Big City Thunder baffle..To firm up low end torque. Do bear in mind that it will be plenty loud, and the louder the pipe....The louder the pop

·
Registered
16 Posts
Shorty Exhasust on Amazon

Radiant Cycles has them for the Victory in Black $99. I havent heard one or seen one in person but for that price may have to try.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
This Radiant Cycle one is also for sale on Ebay. A few months ago, I sent them a message asking if they had a video of one. They told me at that time, they did not have a video of them on a Victory, sent me a link to a video on a Triumph. They then informed me that I could buy them, make a video and send them the link and they would reimburse me for the pipes. They also mentioned that they have a 60 day no question asked return policy in case I didn't like them. I thought that was a great deal, but I have yet to jump on the offer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This Radiant Cycle one is also for sale on Ebay. A few months ago, I sent them a message asking if they had a video of one. They told me at that time, they did not have a video of them on a Victory, sent me a link to a video on a Triumph. They then informed me that I could buy them, make a video and send them the link and they would reimburse me for the pipes. They also mentioned that they have a 60 day no question asked return policy in case I didn't like them. I thought that was a great deal, but I have yet to jump on the offer.
Seems like a pretty good deal!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided to order them and give them a try. For $100, it's worth the chance they'll work out rather than spending $800. I'll let you guys know how they work/sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The exhaust tips arrived and took less than 30 minutes to take of mufflers and put on tips. They look good and sound good at idle however after closing throttle, there is some backfire/pops that sound like the bike will need a new programmer. For me, it's well worth spending $100 until I can put up the $800 for a full length exhaust...

Here is a video with some slight revs thrown in...

·
Registered
15 Posts
The exhaust tips arrived and took less than 30 minutes to take of mufflers and put on tips. They look good and sound good at idle however after closing throttle, there is some backfire/pops that sound like the bike will need a new programmer. For me, it's well worth spending $100 until I can put up the $800 for a full length exhaust...

Here is a video with some slight revs thrown in...
Reviving this to see how these "tips" are working out for you? I dont like their look but for 100 bucks to get more noise is worth it. Now is a programmer needed?! Or is it safe for these installed?

-highball57

·
Registered
149 Posts
Reviving this to see how these "tips" are working out for you? I dont like their look but for 100 bucks to get more noise is worth it. Now is a programmer needed?! Or is it safe for these installed?

-highball57
no prgrammer needed if changing pipes, programmer needed for air change only like high flow filter.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
fuel tuning

todays bikes are lean to begin with, but generally adding more intake air or exhaust is ok, when doing both problems can arise. a VFC from Lloydz or a similar unit from Dobeck is fairly cheap, especially if used as some riders upgrade to a dyno tunable unit. install is pretty simple as well. you can open your OE exhaust as well but they are quite heavy!!

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
My thoughts are that deleting mufflers and just adding tips may create an off idle 'slump' commonly seen with drag pipes on a dyno.
Wether or not the cats in the header pipe will give enough back pressure to avoid this phenomenon would be interesting.
I say go ahead and report back to us.
Certainly gonna be a lot louder.
Possibly verging on obnoxiously so, most wouldnt tolerate the cacophony on overun.
What the heck, **** the neighbours, go for it!
May run lean, do a plug chop with fresh plugs and if the first ring of thread is heat blued act swiftly with a PCV and tune or at very least you'll be burning out a set of exhaust valves.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
if you do not install a tuner remove the oxygen sensors. i did not pay enough attention + missed that no silencers will be used, heed the above info, as noted even short drag pipes with minimal restrictions can cause issues!! its your ride + your call

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Sherwood. If your bike is an '07 or older, make an offer on my PWS system in the classified section under Victory Goodies. Rust...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts