Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I prefer a half-helmet and have read and read reviews, threads, etc. I currently have a Fulmer half helmet and have had an older NXL (no longer in business) half helmet. Both (and I know any DOT helmet will have some shroom effect) are too mushroom-like. I have narrowed my choice down to two:

Victory Base Shorty Helmet (Vic Part #2861282)
Street and Steel B-17 (aka Bell Drifter)

If anyone has experience with any of these, I would greatly appreciate your opinion (without this turning into a full-face/half/no helmet debate) cheers

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have 2 Bell Shortys and love them.Fit good and have a zip in ear/neck cover.Have a Bell Bandito and it doesnt have the cover and doesnt cover head as much

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
What Kind of Bucket ... ?

Speaking form personal experience, each time I asked others on advise on helmets, I end up with a conversation going in completely different direction than where I expected it to go. Needless to say, even though most of us agree Victories are great, our taste and beliefs in helmets vary greatly. I personally reverted to not asking any questions, but just trying helmets on whenever I am around helmets.

With that said, I wish you the best of luck in your helmet quest, and remember - your head is your best friend when it comes to finding a helmet that fits well.
1273African-Motorcycle-Helmet.jpg

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speaking form personal experience, each time I asked others on advise on helmets, I end up with a conversation going in completely different direction than where I expected it to go. Needless to say, even though most of us agree Victories are great, our taste and beliefs in helmets vary greatly. I personally reverted to not asking any questions, but just trying helmets on whenever I am around helmets.

With that said, I wish you the best of luck in your helmet quest, and remember - your head is your best friend when it comes to finding a helmet that fits well.
View attachment 5047
I have read your posts, and I liked the looks of the German style helmets you were looking at...did you ever purchase one? And yes, seems every helmet thread I have read goes in the wrong direction. I have never seen a review of the actual Vic shorties...they look nice and I have never seen one in person. I will check out the ones mentioned above! Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I used to buy helmets like my ex bought shoes. Had 5 or 6 of them, then finally picked a couple of "keepers", donated the others to my local MSF training school.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Any helmet with a DOT rating is gonna be a mushroom, so if that's what you're trying to get away from, you're throwing away money. The Victory half helmets are especially mushroomy. The Bell drifter looks like the dude from spaceballs. Not to be preachy or a debater, but IMO, the only way to protect your head and look really cool is to wear a full face.....or you could wear a novelty, those look really cool, if cool is what you're after.

·
Registered
177 Posts

View attachment 5047
Takes "Brain Bucket" to a whole new level, LOL.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like others I have had several helmets and found I like this one:
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Outlaw-Helmets/Dark-Rider-Black-Leather-Half-Helmet-with-3-Snap-Visor/98189.html
Crash ruined it, my face did get skun up. My wife was wearing a Bell Shorty with pink flames. It worked too, her face was skun up also.
I am looking at the carbon fiber low profile from Outlaw...it has gotten many good reviews and Leatherup has them on sale for $69. Seems like it's true carbon fiber and lightweight...

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Scorpion EXO 100

Okay, I prefer a half-helmet and have read and read reviews, threads, etc. I currently have a Fulmer half helmet and have had an older NXL (no longer in business) half helmet. Both (and I know any DOT helmet will have some shroom effect) are too mushroom-like. I have narrowed my choice down to two:

Victory Base Shorty Helmet (Vic Part #2861282)
Street and Steel B-17 (aka Bell Drifter)

If anyone has experience with any of these, I would greatly appreciate your opinion (without this turning into a full-face/half/no helmet debate) cheers
Don't know about your two choices but I'm real happy with my Scorpion. It's a half helmet with a visor and built in/drop down face shield. Comes with a zip in neck curtain, the liner pops out for washing, and the shield snaps in and out easily so I can choose tinted, yellow, or clear. Comfortable and reasonably priced (>$100). Also lots of color and custom paint options. thumb up

·
Registered
526 Posts
Daytona makes nice half helmets, not too mushroomy IMO.
I also have a GMax shorty that I haven't used yet and an HCL 3/4 with full visor that I love.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got a victory half helmet with the zip off ear piece and visor. It looks and feels great, but is so mushroom like that it feels lime it tries to lift when at higher speeds on the interstate etc.. Otherwise it's cool for cruising. I got a little non DOT sons of anarchy style helmet for short runs around town and back roads. We don't have to have them in SC, but anything on the skull keeps the family happy. Considering a full face for big trips, just super hot in the south. My 2 cents, good comfortable helmet, lifts less with the ear flaps on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After research, I ended up getting the Outlaw carbon fiber ultra low from Leatherup.com :

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Outlaw-Helmets/Outlaw-AX-30010-Glossy-Carbon-Fiber-Motorcycle-Half-Helmet/147781.html

I have ridden twice with it now and it truly is the lowest profile I could find. Fit is true to size (I take a medium in all other helmets, and fit was right on) and very light.

I also have 3 other shorty helmets: Fulmer, Vega, and NXL sports (used to be in business, not sure anymore).

I am very pleased with the purchase and the quality is excellent as it is true carbon fiber. I noticed that my noggin is oval, and the Outlaw helmet is oval. The other helmets are more rounded, for round heads. I really think this is where there is a difference in fit for different head shapes.

Leatherup was also very quick on their shipping as promised. Thought I'd share with you all. Thanks for everyone's help/opinions!

·
Registered
123 Posts
After research, I ended up getting the Outlaw carbon fiber ultra low from Leatherup.com :

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Outlaw-Helmets/Outlaw-AX-30010-Glossy-Carbon-Fiber-Motorcycle-Half-Helmet/147781.html

I have ridden twice with it now and it truly is the lowest profile I could find. Fit is true to size (I take a medium in all other helmets, and fit was right on) and very light.

I also have 3 other shorty helmets: Fulmer, Vega, and NXL sports (used to be in business, not sure anymore).

I am very pleased with the purchase and the quality is excellent as it is true carbon fiber. I noticed that my noggin is oval, and the Outlaw helmet is oval. The other helmets are more rounded, for round heads. I really think this is where there is a difference in fit for different head shapes.

Leatherup was also very quick on their shipping as promised. Thought I'd share with you all. Thanks for everyone's help/opinions!
Everyone seems to love those helmets. They were out of stock all last year. The comments on the website mention that they fly off the shelves when they are available. If anyone wants one, I'd recommend picking it up ASAP and not sleeping on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts