Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at a dilemma with pipes. I have chrome shotgun pipes now but want black pipes. I'm contemplating powder coating the shotguns or buying a set of black RPW Slash pipes.

Anybody have experience comparing the two? Am I going to gain a better sound or any performance from the Slash pipes vs the Shotguns?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I'm leaning towards the RPW Slash pipes if I can get a decent price on them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called Jim and left a message. I'm guessing they were closed on Saturday. I'll call again Monday if I don't hear from him. Thanks...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes me happy... because I'm pretty satisfied with the Shotguns. But then again, that's all I know. Can't wait to get pricing on the Slash pipes.

·
Registered
396 Posts
PAKRZ,
i just purchased a set of rpw slash pipes from
jim @ metric thunder last week,very helpful
and the best price i could find.thumb up

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
That makes me happy... because I'm pretty satisfied with the Shotguns. But then again, that's all I know. Can't wait to get pricing on the Slash pipes.
Joe had the shotguns on his 104" Kingpin. He was running low 12.20s at the track. We put my old SlashNess (RPW slash) pipes on it and seat of the pants tuned it and he ran 11.97... So the pipes were around 10 HP better than the Shotguns.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
PAKRZ,
i just purchased a set of rpw slash pipes from
jim @ metric thunder last week,very helpful
and the best price i could find.thumb up
Jim has been an aquaintance of mine for probably a dozen years. He's good people so I try to give him business whenever I can... but... I couldn't find a lower price on RPW pipes either...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called Jim this morning and he couldn't find his price sheet. I'm waiting for a call back.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i am also installing the s&s intake w/download card
thumb up

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update: Got a hold of Jim and as you guys suggested, he was the best price I have found yet. I plan on ordering a set tomorrow. A few more questions if you guys don't mind.

I asked Jim if I would need the bike re-mapped after the install. He didn't think that would be absolutely necessary and thought the bike would run fine without it.

I've thought about adding a fuel controller but I'm not 100% sold on them. Without sounding too simple, I just want the bike to run well after installing new pipes. I think the bike performs quite well as it sits now. My impression of adding a fuel controller is that it creates the optimum fuel/air mixture to maximize horsepower. I don't want to give anybody the wrong impression... horsepower is a good thing, but then again, I'm not racing the bike either.

So, with that.... is adding a fuel controller necessary for what I'm doing with the bike? Would you agree that re-mapping might not be needed?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jebz240: I'm learning as I go here. I currently have a stock air cleaner/filter in the KP. I was contemplating putting in a K&N replacement filter. Would I be gaining that much more HP by spending the $300 (Roughly) for a S&S air filter kit?

Does S&S make a blacked out air filter kit? I've only seen chrome.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
jebz240: Would I be gaining that much more HP by spending the $300 (Roughly) for a S&S air filter kit?
1) That $300 includes a download for the ECU, so it comes WITH the tuning.
2) The S&S airbox is worth about a dozen HP over the stock airbox with a decent exhaust.

Is it worth it? That's one of those questions only you can answer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
from everything i have read and heard the s&s
is a big upgrade over the stock air box.
my bike came with the stage 1 upgrade
(bought it used) so i dont know how much
the k&n filter and vented cover costs,
maybe someone will chime in on it.
if you decide to go with the s&s you will
have to order it from an s&s authroized dealer
to get the download card (they only list the air
box without the download card on their website).
you can find a dealer on their website in
your area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts