Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
New to the victory form.
Experienced rider here. My wife and I love to ride 2 up. Want a new bike. Research has brought me here. I test ride a road king. It was okay. Looked at Indian. Then I found the Victory cross country and fell in love with the looks. I have never risen one and can’t find one in Louisiana to test ride so I’m not sure how to get a test ride without driving a hundred miles or more. everything I read and the videos I’ve watched are saying the victory is a great bike. Do I just pull the trigger?? Anyone in Louisiana have one ? I live in Lafayette and am willing to travel an hour or so just to get a good look at the bike. Just asking for some guidance.
thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,214 Posts
if that's what you want.

·
Administrator
2,744 Posts
Between my wife and I we own four 2012 Cross Country Tour (XCT) bikes. I am obviously biased but I think they are a great bike. Powerful, reliable, comfortable, and excellent for touring 2-up. They have lots of storage and a seating posture that is very comfortable. I am not a large man (5'-9.5", 175 lbs) but all the HD touring bikes feel cramped to me. The XC and XCT feel the opposite. Do get a XCT if possible. It will be better for 2-up riding and touring.

Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Between my wife and I we own four 2012 Cross Country Tour (XCT) bikes. I am obviously biased but I think they are a great bike. Powerful, reliable, comfortable, and excellent for touring 2-up. They have lots of storage and a seating posture that is very comfortable. I am not a large man (5'-9.5", 175 lbs) but all the HD touring bikes feel cramped to me. The XC and XCT feel the opposite. Do get a XCT if possible. It will be better for 2-up riding and touring.
Thanks for the reply. I’m not a big man as well. 5’7” 175 lbs with a 30” inseam. I’ve ridden gold wings which was a bit difficult due to seat height. 1981 Yamaha virago 750 was my first bike back in 1982. I now have a Vstar 1100. Too light and not good for long distance. We ride an average 300 miles a day on a weekend and the bike gets cramped and is not good for freeway. We ride an average 4K to 6K a year . I test road the road king and was “one footing” it at a stop. Seat height was a bit high. Don’t want a Harley as everyone seems to have one. I guess I need to buckle down and take the drive to test ride one. Should be ready ti purchase in January. What should I look for when buying? Mileage, wear an tear, maintenance records? Is there any year I want to avoid?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We love our XCT. We go on at least one 2,000 mile trip a year living off the bike. 41 gallons of storage. We average around 5k/yr. I feel like a monkey [email protected]#$%&g a football on a Harley. Way too small.

Ride one and you will own one.
Thanks for the reply Alwhite00. The more I learn about the XCT the more I’m leaning towards buying one. My major issue right now is finding one in Louisiana. The closest I have found is 10 hours from me 🤦‍♂️ So it’s a bit of a dilemma as far as a test ride is concerned. I’m wondering about the seat height.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the reply Alwhite00. The more I learn about the XCT the more I’m leaning towards buying one. My major issue right now is finding one in Louisiana. The closest I have found is 10 hours from me 🤦‍♂️ So it’s a bit of a dilemma as far as a test ride is concerned. I’m wondering about the seat height.
Really low seat height and a lot of the weight is low so it feels way lighter. I drove 5 hours in 42 degree weather (one way) to get mine. Heated seat and grips was welcome. We love our XCT.
Wheel Tire Jeans Fuel tank Plant

·
Administrator
2,744 Posts
If you make it to central Florida in the winters (mid-Oct through mid-April) or the Asheville, NC area in the summers (the other six months), you would be welcome to take a ride on our XCT bikes to get a feel for the size and fit.

If you do look for one, get a 2012 or later. I think it was the pre-2012 models that did not always include all the accessories in the base model and some years prior to 2012 had some problems with various things. From 2012 on, the bike was basically unchanged.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really low seat height and a lot of the weight is low so it feels way lighter. I drove 5 hours in 42 degree weather (one way) to get mine. Heated seat and grips was welcome. We love our XCT. View attachment 258331
I just looked up seat height 26.3. Same as what I’m on now. Sounds like I just need to dedicate myself to getting one and take the plunge. Texas and Alabama are the closest to me that have them. I appreciate your feedback. Thank you. We love to ride and need something more suited to our riding style and long trips. Looks like there is an XCT in my future. Any year or miles I want to be aware of?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Only thing I've really heard of is the c clip in the trans issue and that is almost nonexistent. I think if you tip the bike to the right when running you will hear it. IIRC

I bought mine a couple years ago with 20k and now at 32k. No issues. Tires & oil changes. I added cams, filter & pipes and 1/4 turn throttle just because. I've ridden other new bikes and they just don't compare to this old Victory. I went with a 15 because I like that color combo. I also was looking for a bronze 13 or a all white 12 so I did have some options in my search.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you make it to central Florida in the winters (mid-Oct through mid-April) or the Asheville, NC area in the summers (the other six months), you would be welcome to take a ride on our XCT bikes to get a feel for the size and fit.

If you do look for one, get a 2012 or later. I think it was the pre-2012 models that did not always include all the accessories in the base model and some years prior to 2012 had some problems with various things. From 2012 on, the bike was basically unchanged.
Vinish,

Funny you should mention central Florida. I lived in central Florida (Deltona) from 2016 to February 2021. Love Florida. Had to leave for family medical reasons. So I am very familiar with Florida. Is there a dealership selling the XCT out there? My son lives out there so it would be a worthwhile trip to but the bike and visit with him. Thanks for the advice on the year. I was looking for 2015 or newer if the mileage and price were right. Will hopefully be ready to buy in January.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only thing I've really heard of is the c clip in the trans issue and that is almost nonexistent. I think if you tip the bike to the right when running you will hear it. IIRC

I bought mine a couple years ago with 20k and now at 32k. No issues. Tires & oil changes. I added cams, filter & pipes and 1/4 turn throttle just because. I've ridden other new bikes and they just don't compare to this old Victory. I went with a 15 because I like that color combo. I also was looking for a bronze 13 or a all white 12 so I did have some options in my search.
I had read about that clip and tilting the bike while it’s running. Sounds like mileage isn’t too much of an issue with these bikes. I’m partial to riding something “out of the norm” so I think the victory would be a good fit. I don’t think I would go as far as cams, filters or pipes. Stage 1 and 2 ? I’m good with a stock bike unless I really get the itch to upgrade. I have had many issues with my Vstar 1100 and have retired it. I’m tired of putting money into it. Bought it used and it had problems form the beginning. Soo ready to get on a trouble free bike.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had read about that clip and tilting the bike while it’s running. Sounds like mileage isn’t too much of an issue with these bikes. I’m partial to riding something “out of the norm” so I think the victory would be a good fit. I don’t think I would go as far as cams, filters or pipes. Stage 1 and 2 ? I’m good with a stock bike unless I really get the itch to upgrade. I have had many issues with my Vstar 1100 and have retired it. I’m tired of putting money into it. Bought it used and it had problems form the beginning. Soo ready to get on a trouble free bike.
You definitely don't need the engine upgrades as it's got plenty of power out of the box. I did it all myself and got my 505's at 15% off and my air filter and timing wheel and tuner at 20% off during the holidays.

Accessories is the only thing hard to find so if you like farkles its going to cost you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You definitely don't need the engine upgrades as it's got plenty of power out of the box. I did it all myself and got my 505's at 15% off and my air filter and timing wheel and tuner at 20% off during the holidays.

Accessories is the only thing hard to find so if you like farkles its going to cost you.
Sounds like you know your way around that bike. I’m okay with taking care of issues that are external from engine and transmission. I’m not big on farkles. Like you, the wife and I have communications on our helmets. I use the phone to track our rides or for mapping. I really appreciate you taking the time for my questions. Seems I have found a great forum to join. I only wish I could find these bikes local.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,822 Posts
Good deals are out there. Expect around $10k for a XCT.

The important thing is buy it with everything you think you might want. Aftermarket accessories are gone other than occasional unicorns. OEM accessories can be found on FB sale groups but you'll be paying premium for them used.

Seat height is probably not as much of a factor as bar reach unless you have monkey arms. You'll need aftermarket bars to get them back where you can manage. +2 is common but there are vertically challenged bars that are +3.
XC you sit more on top rear wheel than other brands so you get lots of room for long legs and arms. It's an interesting design choice unique to Victory. Wheelbase is near identical to a Harley or other cruiser but the seat position makes it feel bigger.

Try thevog.net too.
You really need to sit on one before buying. That's what I did when I found one at local dealer sat on it there then went and bought one off private seller. Nice old dude that decided to quit riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good deals are out there. Expect around $10k for a XCT.

The important thing is buy it with everything you think you might want. Aftermarket accessories are gone other than occasional unicorns. OEM accessories can be found on FB sale groups but you'll be paying premium for them used.

Seat height is probably not as much of a factor as bar reach unless you have monkey arms. You'll need aftermarket bars to get them back where you can manage. +2 is common but there are vertically challenged bars that are +3.
XC you sit more on top rear wheel than other brands so you get lots of room for long legs and arms. It's an interesting design choice unique to Victory. Wheelbase is near identical to a Harley or other cruiser but the seat position makes it feel bigger.

Try thevog.net too.
You really need to sit on one before buying. That's what I did when I found one at local dealer sat on it there then went and bought one off private seller. Nice old dude that decided to quit riding.
Thanks for the information. Sounds like I will really need to find one out here and give it a test ride. I rode with the blue angels and know of a woman who rides a victory. Not sure which model. I am in no hurry so I can look around. Good advice about the seat position and reach to the bars. I had not thought about that. I have a problem with ape hangers just too high and too far for me. Uncomfortable for me. If I find I can ride the XCT or XC without an issue then I should be good. Would just need the passenger back rest on the XC. I will take a look at the vog.net and see what I can find.
Thanks again for your response

1 - 20 of 76 Posts