Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I have A 2012 Cross Country Tour (XCT) — the first year that the XCT was made. Just a little warning as you read ads for these bikes: not everyone knows exactly what they have, or they are not very precise when they talk or write about them. As you have seen, many of the folks on this forum are very well informed about the Cross bikes, but not everyone is, even if they own one. For that reason, someone may say that they are selling a Cross Country Tour, but they really have have a non-Tour Cross Country. The difference is entirely about how the bikes were originally accessorized from the factory, so you can more-or-less make an XC into into an XCT if you can find the accessories. Since you will be buying a used bike, chances are that the previous owner has changed accessories in some way.

The Tour model began in 2012. All of the Cross bikes (whether XC or XCT or XR or other) came with a different (better) transmission starting in either 2011 or 2012 (I don’t remember which year). I don’t think there were any other mechanical differences.

The Tour model came with:
  • a big trunk with passenger back rest, additional tail light (big) and two additional speakers built in and a DC outlet
  • saddle bag guards, to protect the bags in case the bike tips over
  • heated grips
  • heated seat (seats are one of the most commonly changed items, as everyone has a different preference)
  • extra-tall windshield (a used bike may well have a different shield on it)
  • ABS brakes (mine haven’t worked for a long time, and no one has been able to fix them, but they work fine as non-ABS brakes)
  • Lower fairing with two storage areas, a DC outlet, old-style iPhone connector (the audio connectors may have changed in later years), and adjustable vents
  • Adjustable air-direction wings attached to the bottom of the upper fairing
  • HID headlight on the 2012 model year
  • Cruise control (this may have been on the non-Tour model, too — I just don’t remember)

That’s all I can remember.

I bought mine new in late 2011 and have enjoyed it very much ever since. It now has 74,xxx miles on it, and is going strong. My longest ride was from South Carolina to southern California by way of Indianapolis, and then back a couple of weeks later. I rode one-up, alone, with camping gear and did 600-mile days. It was comfortable, competent and a joy to ride!

You might look to add a rider’s back rest, if you need to mitigate your short arm reach. A back rest can help support you an inch or two further forward, plus make it more comfortable for you to lean back and ride with one hand for a while, when cruising for a long time. That may be all you need.

I wish you the best of luck finding the right bike for you. My health and strength are not what they were eleven years ago, but I’m not ready to give up my 2012 XCT yet — I’m still enjoying it too much! I hope you find one.

Reactions: normthenomad

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info. I was noticing that some listings showed the XC with the trunk but a closer look at the bike you could see it was not an XCT. I appreciate you listing the difference in features between the two models, a big help. It’s really assuring to learn soo many XC and XCT owners have the same bike for soo many years without major issues.
We just got back from a local dealer that has a 2017 XC with about 31K on it. They let us test ride the bike so we were able to get in a variety of riding. Handled great in the twisties. Bike has issues. Check engine light is on, it back fires on deceleration and the cruise control doesn’t work. So needles to say the bike is still at the dealer. It did have rider and passenger back rest custom bars, grips and windshield. My wife fell in love with the ride and comfort. So needless to say we will be looking for an XCT.
The problems that you described might be as simple as loose connections at the battery and possibly water in the cruise control switch. The backfiring and check-engine light may be more serious than that. Maybe someone put on loud, free-flowing pipes and air filter without tuning it? Anyway, it looks like you're looking for a different bike, but you got some good impressions of handling. Good luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
The stock connector for the GPS unit on a Victory XCT is inside the fairing. You install a mount for a specific Victory branded GPS on the handlebar and run wires into the inside of the fairing for the connection to the stereo system.
That GPS unit was a Garmin Zumo 660 with Victory branding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts