Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Tha XC doesn't come with a heated seat, not sure on the grips. (If you have a need for them)

The trunk is sure nice and if you don't want it they sell around $1300-1500
Thanks Alwhite00
I saw the difference between the XC and the XCT. Pretty much imo the XC is more of a “bagger” and the XCT is the “touring” model. I lean towards touring personally. I’ve been riding a bagger and just not enough comfort/storage for the long haul. I’ve never had heated seats or grips so I don’t know what that’s like 🤷‍♂️

·
Administrator
2,744 Posts
The heated grips and seat are nice on a cold morning.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Find any of the Cross bikes and test ride one. They all feel/handle very similar just different wind management/tour accessories.
Just don't accidentally get on a Vision, I'm on a Crossroads at the moment and swapped off with a Vision rider for a couple hours, now I want one.
No, he wouldn't trade.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Find any of the Cross bikes and test ride one. They all feel/handle very similar just different wind management/tour accessories.
Just don't accidentally get on a Vision, I'm on a Crossroads at the moment and swapped off with a Vision rider for a couple hours, now I want one.
No, he wouldn't trade.
thanks Norm. I have actually found a 2017 XC at a local dealership. Waiting to hear back from them on if they still have it or not. Plan on checking it out this weekend. Hopefully 🙏 they will let me test ride it. I Hines don’t like the looks of the Vision but keep hearing it’s a great riding bike.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,822 Posts
Given your location in the south I doubt you would ever need heated grips and seat but those are factory on tour models. Avon makes decent aftermarket heated grips plenty of threads on that. Aftermarket seats are not cheap but available from ultimate Corbin etc. I sold my heated seat to recoup some cost I found it to be uncomfortable but the man I bought bike from was not small I think it was worn out.

I have ape hangers on my bike but they are rolled back/down towards me. Really my arms could use a little more bend but I can ride 6 hours or more and I'm fine.

Helibars are heli expensive at $750 but give you lot of reach and lots of adjustment options. I was not a fan but many people like them.

If the bike has the standard U shaped bar you can figure most aftermarket bars will be +2 inches closer to the seat. Companies like FMB choppers can make their bars longer if necessary but you would need to extend hoses and wiring. Gas cap is good fixed point of reference if you are going nuts searching online for photos of different bars.

Good luck and hope that local dealer has one in stock. Vinish I know has bought out of state and rode home. Easy to do that on these bikes if you are willing. Assuming you can sit on a local bike first to size it up. :)

Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
175 Posts
My wife and I have a Cross Roads and have done quite a few multi-week road trips two-up. Great ride, great bikes!

A couple years back I stopped to help a broken down bike (HD) on the side of the road. I got out some zip ties and a small roll of duct tape that I usually carry. He started joking about Victories needing them. I gently reminded him that because I ride a Victory, I still have the zip ties and duct tape.

I think a Cross bike is one of the best bike out there but I understand your apprehension without a test ride.
Good luck!

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Plant

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Given your location in the south I doubt you would ever need heated grips and seat but those are factory on tour models. Avon makes decent aftermarket heated grips plenty of threads on that. Aftermarket seats are not cheap but available from ultimate Corbin etc. I sold my heated seat to recoup some cost I found it to be uncomfortable but the man I bought bike from was not small I think it was worn out.

I have ape hangers on my bike but they are rolled back/down towards me. Really my arms could use a little more bend but I can ride 6 hours or more and I'm fine.

Helibars are heli expensive at $750 but give you lot of reach and lots of adjustment options. I was not a fan but many people like them.

If the bike has the standard U shaped bar you can figure most aftermarket bars will be +2 inches closer to the seat. Companies like FMB choppers can make their bars longer if necessary but you would need to extend hoses and wiring. Gas cap is good fixed point of reference if you are going nuts searching online for photos of different bars.

Good luck and hope that local dealer has one in stock. Vinish I know has bought out of state and rode home. Easy to do that on these bikes if you are willing. Assuming you can sit on a local bike first to size it up. :)
believe it or not we have actually had hard freeze’s out here where ice and snow stayed on the ground. It does on occasion get cold and nasty here so I could see the need to have heated seat and grips. I don’t like the cold weather so anything below 40 to me is too cold 🤷‍♂️. I did some research on custom seats for my Vstar 1100 because that seat hurts after about 60 miles but never pulled the trigger because I knew I was going to buy a new bike.

i have ridden HD with “ape hangers” on them and the fit and feel was so uncomfortable for me. Especially during slow maneuvers. I felt like I did not have the control and stability of a bar that is lower and pulled closer to me. If I have to invest in a +2 bar to get to that comfort then so be it. Hopefully I don’t have to do anything. I’m 5’7” 175 with a 30” inseam. I understand the bars can be lowered for a better fit but have not had the opportunity to ride a bike that was set up like that. The gas cap suggestion is good advice and I will keep that in mind.

I did find a dealer out here that has a 2017 XC for sale. Hoping to be able to test ride it tomorrow and see how it fits me and if I like the ride or not. I’m willing to travel to buy a bike and ride it home.
I will post and let you guys know how the bike fit me.
I appreciate your response and guidance

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My wife and I have a Cross Roads and have done quite a few multi-week road trips two-up. Great ride, great bikes!

A couple years back I stopped to help a broken down bike (HD) on the side of the road. I got out some zip ties and a small roll of duct tape that I usually carry. He started joking about Victories needing them. I gently reminded him that because I ride a Victory, I still have the zip ties and duct tape.

I think a Cross bike is one of the best bike out there but I understand your apprehension without a test ride.
Good luck!

View attachment 258341
Beautiful bike. I’ve always been partial to that style bike. I’m old school when it comes to bikes. Yeah I don’t want a HD. Seems everyone is riding them. I’ve never been “main stream” when it comes to motorcycles. I noticed the bars on your bike. Are they stock?
I was able to find a 2017 XC at a local dealer out here. Going to sit on it tomorrow and see how it fits me. Hopefully the dealer is cool and lets me test ride.
I think all bikes are susceptible to break downs. Maybe some more then others. I’ve retired my Vstar 1100 due to constant repairs and it left me stranded once.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm the same - I don't want to look like everybody else. I get lots of comments on the style of the bike. Also, even though fairings have lots of wind management advantages as well as electronics, the plain windshield is old-school classic.

My bars are from a stock Cross Country. With original bars, the Cross Roads and Country have exactly the same seat-grip position. But the Cross Roads has risers that curve backward so their original bars are shorter. Therefore, CC bars on a CR become about 2" pullback. I also like them angled a little lower - more comfortable for me. When you see it from the side I sometimes think they look like the tiller on a boat :cool:

I've never been stranded by any kind of breakdown (except by my own fault - story for another day). Just do the basic maintenance. Solid bike.

·
Administrator
2,744 Posts
I find my XCT stock seat to be very comfortable. Three of our four 2012 XCT bikes have pullback bars. I really like these. I am 5'-9.5" tall with 32" inseam and without these pullback bars, I found my upper body leaned very slightly forward causing me to have to tilt my head very slightly upwards which was uncomfortable on long rides. Two of the three pullback bars are the Victory +2" pullback bars that I installed myself. These did not require any changes to wiring, brake line, or cables. The other bike has Heli-bars. I do not know if the Heli-bars are still being made for the XCT. I do know that the Victory +2" pullback bars are unicorns. I have been searching for them for years without any success. I want to add these to our remaining XCT that does not have them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Beautiful bike. I’ve always been partial to that style bike. I’m old school when it comes to bikes. Yeah I don’t want a HD. Seems everyone is riding them. I’ve never been “main stream” when it comes to motorcycles. I noticed the bars on your bike. Are they stock?
I was able to find a 2017 XC at a local dealer out here. Going to sit on it tomorrow and see how it fits me. Hopefully the dealer is cool and lets me test ride.
I think all bikes are susceptible to break downs. Maybe some more then others. I’ve retired my Vstar 1100 due to constant repairs and it left me stranded once.
I make an annual ride from Southern AZ to central KY every year, I run the old State and Federal highways. Long stretches of nothing, 100 mile stretches with no services and hardly any traffic.
I ride alone by choice so any issues that arise I'm on my own, My insurance has roadside assistance but that's the only help available. Although there are some parts that have no cell phone reception. Only problem I've ever had was a flat tire on a KingPin I had. Happened just outside Roswell New Mexico. The Harley dealer hd the only tire for a hundred miles or more. $500 later I was back on the road. DO NOT EVER do business with them.
Victory is the only bike that I'm confident will make the trip without mechanical issues.
When I was still riding Harleys I stuck to the main highways just in case they broke.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I have A 2012 Cross Country Tour (XCT) — the first year that the XCT was made. Just a little warning as you read ads for these bikes: not everyone knows exactly what they have, or they are not very precise when they talk or write about them. As you have seen, many of the folks on this forum are very well informed about the Cross bikes, but not everyone is, even if they own one. For that reason, someone may say that they are selling a Cross Country Tour, but they really have have a non-Tour Cross Country. The difference is entirely about how the bikes were originally accessorized from the factory, so you can more-or-less make an XC into into an XCT if you can find the accessories. Since you will be buying a used bike, chances are that the previous owner has changed accessories in some way.

The Tour model began in 2012. All of the Cross bikes (whether XC or XCT or XR or other) came with a different (better) transmission starting in either 2011 or 2012 (I don’t remember which year). I don’t think there were any other mechanical differences.

The Tour model came with:
  • a big trunk with passenger back rest, additional tail light (big) and two additional speakers built in and a DC outlet
  • saddle bag guards, to protect the bags in case the bike tips over
  • heated grips
  • heated seat (seats are one of the most commonly changed items, as everyone has a different preference)
  • extra-tall windshield (a used bike may well have a different shield on it)
  • ABS brakes (mine haven’t worked for a long time, and no one has been able to fix them, but they work fine as non-ABS brakes)
  • Lower fairing with two storage areas, a DC outlet, old-style iPhone connector (the audio connectors may have changed in later years), and adjustable vents
  • Adjustable air-direction wings attached to the bottom of the upper fairing
  • HID headlight on the 2012 model year
  • Cruise control (this may have been on the non-Tour model, too — I just don’t remember)

That’s all I can remember.

I bought mine new in late 2011 and have enjoyed it very much ever since. It now has 74,xxx miles on it, and is going strong. My longest ride was from South Carolina to southern California by way of Indianapolis, and then back a couple of weeks later. I rode one-up, alone, with camping gear and did 600-mile days. It was comfortable, competent and a joy to ride!

You might look to add a rider’s back rest, if you need to mitigate your short arm reach. A back rest can help support you an inch or two further forward, plus make it more comfortable for you to lean back and ride with one hand for a while, when cruising for a long time. That may be all you need.

I wish you the best of luck finding the right bike for you. My health and strength are not what they were eleven years ago, but I’m not ready to give up my 2012 XCT yet — I’m still enjoying it too much! I hope you find one.

Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I make an annual ride from Southern AZ to central KY every year, I run the old State and Federal highways. Long stretches of nothing, 100 mile stretches with no services and hardly any traffic.
I ride alone by choice so any issues that arise I'm on my own, My insurance has roadside assistance but that's the only help available. Although there are some parts that have no cell phone reception. Only problem I've ever had was a flat tire on a KingPin I had. Happened just outside Roswell New Mexico. The Harley dealer hd the only tire for a hundred miles or more. $500 later I was back on the road. DO NOT EVER do business with them.
Victory is the only bike that I'm confident will make the trip without mechanical issues.
When I was still riding Harleys I stuck to the main highways just in case they broke.
wow!!
it’s good to here the confidence in a bike that is not in production anymore as this will be my last bike. I’m about to be 60 so this is it for me. I want my last bike purchase to be solid and get at least ten years out of it. I had a bad experience with our local HD dealer. Never again!! Unfortunately the best bike I had was a Yamaha virago 750 back in the 80’s. I’ve had nothing but bad luck with bikes. I would love to take a 1 or 2 week trip with the wife an not worry if my bike is going to make it or not. Honestly IMO it seems brand loyalty and reliability of the bike comes down to HD (questionable) IMO , Indian, Honda (goldwing) and from what I’m now learning Victory. I’m putting this in the touring category. So your a former HD owner ? What brought you over to Victory? My brother in law is a huge HD guy. Buys rebuilds and sells them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'm the same - I don't want to look like everybody else. I get lots of comments on the style of the bike. Also, even though fairings have lots of wind management advantages as well as electronics, the plain windshield is old-school classic.

My bars are from a stock Cross Country. With original bars, the Cross Roads and Country have exactly the same seat-grip position. But the Cross Roads has risers that curve backward so their original bars are shorter. Therefore, CC bars on a CR become about 2" pullback. I also like them angled a little lower - more comfortable for me. When you see it from the side I sometimes think they look like the tiller on a boat :cool:

I've never been stranded by any kind of breakdown (except by my own fault - story for another day). Just do the basic maintenance. Solid bike.
we got many comments on the Vstar 1100. I de badged it and many people thought it was a Harley. It’s a very clean bike for 21 years old. I put a set of hard leather wrapped locking Viking bags on it. Vance and Hines slip ons. I repainted the engine and exhaust Matt black except for the mufflers. I put speakers on the bars and charge port in he bags.
I don’t have a picture of it but will take some send you a few.

I’m hoping the bike fits me. We will see tomorrow

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have A 2012 Cross Country Tour (XCT) — the first year that the XCT was made. Just a little warning as you read ads for these bikes: not everyone knows exactly what they have, or they are not very precise when they talk or write about them. As you have seen, many of the folks on this forum are very well informed about the Cross bikes, but not everyone is, even if they own one. For that reason, someone may say that they are selling a Cross Country Tour, but they really have have a non-Tour Cross Country. The difference is entirely about how the bikes were originally accessorized from the factory, so you can more-or-less make an XC into into an XCT if you can find the accessories. Since you will be buying a used bike, chances are that the previous owner has changed accessories in some way.

The Tour model began in 2012. All of the Cross bikes (whether XC or XCT or XR or other) came with a different (better) transmission starting in either 2011 or 2012 (I don’t remember which year). I don’t think there were any other mechanical differences.

The Tour model came with:
  • a big trunk with passenger back rest, additional tail light (big) and two additional speakers built in and a DC outlet
  • saddle bag guards, to protect the bags in case the bike tips over
  • heated grips
  • heated seat (seats are one of the most commonly changed items, as everyone has a different preference)
  • extra-tall windshield (a used bike may well have a different shield on it)
  • ABS brakes (mine haven’t worked for a long time, and no one has been able to fix them, but they work fine as non-ABS brakes)
  • Lower fairing with two storage areas, a DC outlet, old-style iPhone connector (the audio connectors may have changed in later years), and adjustable vents
  • Adjustable air-direction wings attached to the bottom of the upper fairing
  • HID headlight on the 2012 model year
  • Cruise control (this may have been on the non-Tour model, too — I just don’t remember)

That’s all I can remember.

I bought mine new in late 2011 and have enjoyed it very much ever since. It now has 74,xxx miles on it, and is going strong. My longest ride was from South Carolina to southern California by way of Indianapolis, and then back a couple of weeks later. I rode one-up, alone, with camping gear and did 600-mile days. It was comfortable, competent and a joy to ride!

You might look to add a rider’s back rest, if you need to mitigate your short arm reach. A back rest can help support you an inch or two further forward, plus make it more comfortable for you to lean back and ride with one hand for a while, when cruising for a long time. That may be all you need.

I wish you the best of luck finding the right bike for you. My health and strength are not what they were eleven years ago, but I’m not ready to give up my 2012 XCT yet — I’m still enjoying it too much! I hope you find one.
Thanks for the detailed info. I was noticing that some listings showed the XC with the trunk but a closer look at the bike you could see it was not an XCT. I appreciate you listing the difference in features between the two models, a big help. It’s really assuring to learn soo many XC and XCT owners have the same bike for soo many years without major issues.
We just got back from a local dealer that has a 2017 XC with about 31K on it. They let us test ride the bike so we were able to get in a variety of riding. Handled great in the twisties. Bike has issues. Check engine light is on, it back fires on deceleration and the cruise control doesn’t work. So needles to say the bike is still at the dealer. It did have rider and passenger back rest custom bars, grips and windshield. My wife fell in love with the ride and comfort. So needless to say we will be looking for an XCT.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info. I was noticing that some listings showed the XC with the trunk but a closer look at the bike you could see it was not an XCT. I appreciate you listing the difference in features between the two models, a big help. It’s really assuring to learn soo many XC and XCT owners have the same bike for soo many years without major issues.
We just got back from a local dealer that has a 2017 XC with about 31K on it. They let us test ride the bike so we were able to get in a variety of riding. Handled great in the twisties. Bike has issues. Check engine light is on, it back fires on deceleration and the cruise control doesn’t work. So needles to say the bike is still at the dealer. It did have rider and passenger back rest custom bars, grips and windshield. My wife fell in love with the ride and comfort. So needless to say we will be looking for an XCT.
The problems that you described might be as simple as loose connections at the battery and possibly water in the cruise control switch. The backfiring and check-engine light may be more serious than that. Maybe someone put on loud, free-flowing pipes and air filter without tuning it? Anyway, it looks like you're looking for a different bike, but you got some good impressions of handling. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The problems that you described might be as simple as loose connections at the battery and possibly water in the cruise control switch. The backfiring and check-engine light may be more serious than that. Maybe someone put on loud, free-flowing pipes and air filter without tuning it? Anyway, it looks like you're looking for a different bike, but you got some good impressions of handling. Good luck with your search!
Dealer did say the battery had to be removed and charged. The bike was LOUD seems louder than stock. I’m thinking they were not stock. The switch assemblies on the bars were slightly faded like it was kept outside. So you may be right about the water. Anyway. We really liked the ride and fit.
thanks for your help

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,822 Posts
Sounds like you are set so you can shop around.
As you know prices will be falling soon as the riding season ends for us in the north.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts