Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
we got many comments on the Vstar 1100. I de badged it and many people thought it was a Harley. It’s a very clean bike for 21 years old. I put a set of hard leather wrapped locking Viking bags on it. Vance and Hines slip ons. I repainted the engine and exhaust Matt black except for the mufflers. I put speakers on the bars and charge port in he bags.
I don’t have a picture of it but will take some send you a few.

I’m hoping the bike fits me. We will see tomorrow
Bike was a joy to ride. Definitely going to look for an ZCT. Wife fell in love with the comfort and ride. I could flat foot the bike and weight was not an issue. Ride some hwy and some twisties. Handled well. Slow maneuver was easy to handle. Liked the low center is gravity on it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
wow!!
it’s good to here the confidence in a bike that is not in production anymore as this will be my last bike. I’m about to be 60 so this is it for me. I want my last bike purchase to be solid and get at least ten years out of it. I had a bad experience with our local HD dealer. Never again!! Unfortunately the best bike I had was a Yamaha virago 750 back in the 80’s. I’ve had nothing but bad luck with bikes. I would love to take a 1 or 2 week trip with the wife an not worry if my bike is going to make it or not. Honestly IMO it seems brand loyalty and reliability of the bike comes down to HD (questionable) IMO , Indian, Honda (goldwing) and from what I’m now learning Victory. I’m putting this in the touring category. So your a former HD owner ? What brought you over to Victory? My brother in law is a huge HD guy. Buys rebuilds and sells them.
I rode them for decades, worked on them when I first started riding them because I couldn't afford to pay to have a shop do it. Also, the dealerships wouldn't work on what I was riding because it was "obsolete".
My first bike was a 1952 FLHF, the F at the end stood for footshift '52 was the first year for the footshift.
Later on I worked for several dealerships and independent shops.
Victory came on the scene in '99 and I was curious about them and kept track of what was going on with them.
In '05 when they came out with the Kingpin was when I really went into lust for one.
For various and sundry reasons I wasn't able to buy one until 2018.
Bought an '06 King Pin and loved it.
Rode a cross bike and loved it, 4 rehabilitated orphaned Vics later I bought a '12 Crossroads.
To summarize; Having worked on them and being closely involved with dealerships and the motor co. I know the all the dirt on Harleys. Highly unlikely that I'll ever own another unless it was given to me.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,822 Posts
Good looking bike.

Cross roads is similar but once you go fairing you can't go back to a windshield bike. :)

Oh and if you do find a XC or XCT you'll need an iPod for built in music support or a Bluetooth adapter to connect to phone. I think I paid $100 for an iPod few years ago it's been worth it even though I hate iTunes software I have 3 days of music playing on random.

·
Administrator
2,744 Posts
I put an ad on Craigslist asking if anyone had an old Ipod that they would sell or give away. I got an answer from a lady who just gave me an old one. Old I-Pods are worth pretty much nothing nowadays. I loaded a ton of my digital music on it using a non-proprietary software that takes the place of I-Tunes. Since I hate Apple and everything to do with Apple, I was very glad I could find an alternative to polluting my laptop with I-Tunes :)

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I put an ad on Craigslist asking if anyone had an old Ipod that they would sell or give away. I got an answer from a lady who just gave me an old one. Old I-Pods are worth pretty much nothing nowadays. I loaded a ton of my digital music on it using a non-proprietary software that takes the place of I-Tunes. Since I hate Apple and everything to do with Apple, I was very glad I could find an alternative to polluting my laptop with I-Tunes :)
Curious what the alternative is. I ended up installing iTunes but it's a pain in the rear to change the music on the device. No way to delete from iTunes I have to delete whole thing from Windows and that forces factory reset on the iPod. Then add all the music back on that I want. iTunes itself is set to not run and only is on when I need it but the software is definitely awkward. Ironically I do need to create an apple account to register all the digital movie copies I have codes for.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Good looking bike.

Cross roads is similar but once you go fairing you can't go back to a windshield bike. :)

Oh and if you do find a XC or XCT you'll need an iPod for built in music support or a Bluetooth adapter to connect to phone. I think I paid $100 for an iPod few years ago it's been worth it even though I hate iTunes software I have 3 days of music playing on random.
Thanks.
I believe the newer models have Bluetooth built in the stereo. The 2107 XC I rode had Bluetooth when I scrolled through the stereo modes. I’m not sure what year they started that though. I hate I tunes and would buy a Bluetooth adapter before I used I tunes. We have a “bike ride” play list on Amazon music that we play while riding. Don’t need a Wi-Fi connection to play it. I’m going to try and buy 2014 or newer XCT.

·
Administrator
2,744 Posts
Sorry, I do not remember which software I used. I put it on a previous laptop which was my work laptop. Since retiring I, of course, had to turn that back in and bought my own laptop. Since I already have all my desired music on the several Ipods that I have procured for free, I had no reason to go looking again for this software.

To find it, I just googled something like, "itunes alternatives"

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Thanks.
I believe the newer models have Bluetooth built in the stereo. The 2107 XC I rode had Bluetooth when I scrolled through the stereo modes. I’m not sure what year they started that though. I hate I tunes and would buy a Bluetooth adapter before I used I tunes. We have a “bike ride” play list on Amazon music that we play while riding. Don’t need a Wi-Fi connection to play it. I’m going to try and buy 2014 or newer XCT.
The Magnum bikes and maybe the final year for XC switched to USB and Bluetooth. 2010+ will have the 30 pin iPod connector. There is an expensive Bluetooth adapter I think $100 that lets you change tracks and a cheap $15 one that you can only change volume with no control of tracks.

The Bluetooth bikes will have different buttons on the left grip. All the others look the same as cruise buttons on right side.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I use a older i-pod. It works great but I wish it would play random.
We put Bluetooth speakers on the Vstar so it was easy for us to connect out iPhones for music. Our headsets also have fm radio built in so had that option as well. I’m going to research the years of the XC and XCT to see when they started with the Bluetooth connectivity

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The Magnum bikes and maybe the final year for XC switched to USB and Bluetooth. 2010+ will have the 30 pin iPod connector. There is an expensive Bluetooth adapter I think $100 that lets you change tracks and a cheap $15 one that you can only change volume with no control of tracks.

The Bluetooth bikes will have different buttons on the left grip. All the others look the same as cruise buttons on right side.
Yeah this one had different style buttons for the stereo then the cruise control. I’m going to research a bit and see what year for the XC and XCT they started with Bluetooth. I run my phone through my headset so I can answer calls if I have to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

Yeah this one had different style buttons for the stereo then the cruise control. I’m going to research a bit and see what year for the XC and XCT they started with Bluetooth. I run my phone through my headset so I can answer calls if I have to.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
The 30 pin Bluetooth adapters are easy to use so I wouldn't worry too much on having it built in. It will power on when you start bike so your phones should have no issues.

There is a dongle for sending Bluetooth out to headsets but that is a Victory/Sena add-on that goes in the fairing. Sometimes they show up on eBay. I personally prefer to listen from the bike speakers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The 30 pin Bluetooth adapters are easy to use so I wouldn't worry too much on having it built in. It will power on when you start bike so your phones should have no issues.

There is a dongle for sending Bluetooth out to headsets but that is a Victory/Sena add-on that goes in the fairing. Sometimes they show up on eBay. I personally prefer to listen from the bike speakers.
okay. Sounds easy enough. I did see the connection for the usb in one of the bags. My wife and I ride together so she takes care of the music and nav while we ride so that keeps me focused on the road. She connects her phone to the bike while mine is connected to my helmet.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
The handy thing about XC and XCT they have a GPS input in fairing that interrupts all other audio.

Should get similar experience if your GPS is also your tunes though.

Reactions: Jbuscaino

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The handy thing about XC and XCT they have a GPS input in fairing that interrupts all other audio.

I look forward to buying an XCT. I dint notice any connections in the fairing of the XC I rode but I wasn’t really looking. There were some smaller connections on he right side of the bike tucked under the fairing. The dealer knew nothing about the bike so I hade to rely on what I learned online and here in the forum. I was more focused on the fit, ride and feel of the bike because I knew I wasn’t buy that one.

·
Administrator
2,744 Posts
The stock connector for the GPS unit on a Victory XCT is inside the fairing. You install a mount for a specific Victory branded GPS on the handlebar and run wires into the inside of the fairing for the connection to the stereo system.

Reactions: Jbuscaino
41 - 60 of 76 Posts