Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under a new proposed law, the practice could become legal in Arizona, making Arizona more like its neighboring state and many European countries. In 2015, a study by the University of California, Berkeley, found that lane-splitting is “relatively safe” when performed at speeds under 50 mph. Arizona Senator David Farnsworth, R-Mesa, recently introduced the bill for the coming legislative session, which begins in January. The bill, SB 1007, strikes out the clauses in statute that make lane-splitting, also known as filtering, illegal.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Now we wait for the assholes zipping between cars at 100MPH, then blaming the resulting accident on the "idiot cagers" who couldn't possibly see them in time.

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Now we wait for the assholes zipping between cars at 100MPH, then blaming the resulting accident on the "idiot cagers" who couldn't possibly see them in time.
Saw some rice rocket rider going up the side of the road in the emergency lane. There was an on ramp to his right and he cuts a car off to get into it to zip further. It is completely against the law here to lane split, yet alone ride the way he was. Traffic was moving, just not fast enough for his dumb ass.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
This was introduced in the Oregon legislature in the past three session and it was voted down by the party that knows whats good for you.
When freeway traffic is at a standstill (or near standstill) I resort to the e-lane and ride about 25 mph.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Lane splitting is fine for me with standstill traffic but I don't think I would split in moving traffic. I never have so maybe it's ok but it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Reactions: Kla

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
As an Arizona resident for a short time, a little over 2 years I would say hell no! They drive like idiots here. Wrong way drivers galore. A couple motorcycle accidents a week and at least one or two are fatal.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I've seen things like this work very well in parts of Europe where it's the norm. Biggest difference is that automobile drivers, motorcycle riders, pedestrians and cyclists all give equal respect to others. Not enough of that goes on in this corner of the planet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
They are trying the same here in Texas but traffic speed must be below 20 mph and motorcyclist can’t go more than 5 mph faster than traffic. To be, it sounds reasonable and would really cut down on the traffic. I signed the support statement and sent it to my district representative. All for it under those conditions.

The splitting lanes at all speeds is not a good move in my view. Too many people on cell phones and not paying attention. Riding back from work I saw this lady with kids in the back FaceTiming while merging from an on ramp. Another had the phone in front of her checking her makeup!

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
I cannot comment on if this "lane splitting" could works in the USA,

But I'll try, here goes , coz I have been in the US about 6 times, ha ha

I think lane splitting doesn't work in the USA , maybe it is just too little too late, can't learn old dogs new tricks?

It only works in the rest of the 167 countrys, but in the rest of the world they do not have a name for it, it is called "riding a motorcycle" if you would ask them what lane splitting is then I guess they would say " a T junction / a fork junction "

I agree completely with @broggyr post

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Ive been sitting or crawling in heavy multi lane traffic in my car..and always see drivers up ahead switch lanes with no warning thinking the other lane is moving faster...
Therin lies a potential hazard..they rarely look or indicate and can quickly shut the door on a lane splitter!
If I do it its generally in the outside what you cal emergency lane...with my hazards flashing and being aware of the crap that collects on the side of the road roofing nails etc getting in my tyres..

Reactions: RICZ

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
As an Arizona resident for a short time, a little over 2 years I would say hell no! They drive like idiots here. Wrong way drivers galore. A couple motorcycle accidents a week and at least one or two are fatal.
I ride year around commuting 50 miles round trip daily to work and 200 miles on weekends to my get away house racking up around 25,000 miles a year on my bike and I've lived here 21 years and really don't think it's nearly as bad as you seem to think it is. Couple motorcycle accidents a week in a city of millions them's good odds. Wrong way drivers, yea I ain't got nothing there that's a recent affliction. Arizona isn't just the Valley (Phoenix) there's life outside of the city so the laws don't have to suit one place to live it has to suit the entire state. Ever rode to Payson on a holiday weekend? The traffic will back up to Rye, 11 miles of stopped traffic, it would be great to split that and it's just one example. Star Valley to Heber on that same holiday weekend, yeap. The you come home Sunday.......

I tend to fall into the thinking that the Valley is Arizona because it's home, but it isn't.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
In response to the thread title: YES!, I would support such a change 100% (similar to what CA riders can do) for every state in the country!

I have a difficult time wondering why some motorcyclists don't support this and other biker's rights. It's NOT compulsory so if you don't want to share a lane, don't. Seems rather simple and clear cut to me. Is it 'dangerous'? Yes, in some instances it could increase the danger level of riding.

I use my seatbelt 100% of the time in my car and my helmet nearly 100% of the time on my bike.. But I do not agree either of them should be mandated by the government.

Reactions: Joe_ and PaiN

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yup Mark I'm kinda there also. I folks want to do it fine. Will I? Not on your life (or should I say mine) I figure some aggravated cager stuck in traffic will see me splitting lanes and squeeze me into whatever is next to him. Back when I learned to ride the law said you had to wear a helmet, so I did. It has just been part of ride ever since. If someone else dont want to thats fine. My beef with this is if/when they get in an accident should everyone else pay for the medical bills for the machines to keep them alive? Sorry to get off topic there. The whole seat belt thing gets me here in Fla. I can ride a motorcycle in as little as I want to, flip flops and wife beater or whatever. But get in a car you MUST wear a seat belt or risk a ticket. REALLY somehow in bureaucrats minds this makes sense.

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm for it. I don't do it often but I certainly have in the past.

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Hunter S Thompson writes about lane splitting at 90 miles an hour and makes it sound attractive!

Running fast and loud on the early morning freeway, low in the saddle, nobody smiles, jamming crazy through traffic and ninety miles an hour down the center stripe, missing by inches… like Genghis Khan on an iron horse,
A monster steed with a fiery anus, flat out through the eye of a beer can and up your
daughter’s leg with no quarter asked and none given; show the squares some class,
give 'em a whiff of those kicks they’ll never know…
Ah, these righteous dudes, they love to screw it on…

·
Registered
755 Posts
I wouldn’t ride my bike if I couldn’t lane split.
All of you that talks about zoned out drivers...they are zoned out because they are not expecting a Bike next to them or between two cars. But once the laws change every driver will pay attention better for what’s around them.
Like some others said you don’t want to lane split? Fine don’t do it but don’t stop the ones that wants to.
And believe me when I say this in a bumper to bumper traffic you are much much safer moving than sitting behind some car and getting rear ended by an idiot who is texting.
Lane splitting is like anything new that people resist against. I have 70+ year old friends that didn’t want to get an iPhone because they thought they didn’t need it or or they couldn’t use it and once they got one they all wondered how they did without one.
So people...please vote YES on lane splitting and FREE yourselves. Lol.

Two examples one minute mark you’ll see guy on the Harley not splitting lanes. And two and theee minutes mark two bikers letting the faster guy pass.

https://youtu.be/CsxU3HTMa-4

And the safer way is, on the carpool lane. Can’t cross the yellow line unless there is an exit.
https://youtu.be/rExiYOZjt0A

·
Registered
762 Posts
It's been legal in California forever. I do it frequently but only when traffic is almost at a standstill. Even then I only go about 30mph. I see idiots splitting when the traffic is going 65mph on their rice rockets or some ratted out Harley.

·
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have split lanes in CA and was scared. In CA there use to MC splitting lanes so there smarter drivers. AZ has to educate cage drivers about splitting lanes it will take a couple of years for them to get used to it.
I know most of you with baggers are not going to fit between some cars or trucks. This is going to be like Russian Roulette

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Bad VV said it best of all. Its a matter of familiarity with car drivers. It works in CA cuz its been going on for a long time and it will work in other locations when drivers become used to the practice.
And yes, this 81 year old just got his first smart phone that he never wanted. I'm climbing the learning ladder, but liking it so far. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts