• No

Votes: 39 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know Victory makes some outstanding bikes but none really beginner friendly. Most of us have come off other bikes and learned to ride on other bikes. Do you think Victory should make a beginner bike. Something smaller, lighter and under 1000cc's? Do you think it could help new riders to the Victory brand and keep them as they decide to move up?wac

·
13,236 Posts
what Vic has now is small enough. Dough there is that big of market for a starter bike. Beside with in two years of your first one your read for a new adventure.
Vic produce such a small quantity of bikes they need to stay focused on what there doing now.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Why compete with the Chinese in the scooter market?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Putting a 500-900 cc engine in a Vegas frame wouldn't seem to be too much of a stretch to support within their current infrastructure.

I also think they could capitalize on a open portion of the market; a automatic cruiser. Honda just came out with the CTX line which is available in an automatic version. With the ATV experience that Polaris has it shouldn't be much of a stretch either.

I've already said it multiple times, no matter how "small" we think a Vegas is, it is HUGE to MOST (but not all) new riders. Especially now that Harley beat them to the punch, if Victory keeps waiting they are going to fall further and further behind.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what Vic has now is small enough. Dough there is that big of market for a starter bike. Beside with in two years of your first one your read for a new adventure.
Vic produce such a small quantity of bikes they need to stay focused on what there doing now.
True, Victory is still a new brand but quickly growing. I know here in the Bay Area in cities like San Francisco smaller bikes make sense and are big sellers. If Victory had a model like the Sportster 883 Iron it could prove popular and improve product lines and sales.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You'd get a TON more female riders with a sub 500lb bike with an automatic. Like Ridley, only more reliable.

A lot of city folks don't want a 700-800lb bike to tool around it. My old Suzuki SV650 was perfect for that.

I think they should, and sell it for less than $8k. Like the Star Bolt or HD Iron 883.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I dont see why they would need anything smaller then the vegas, its small enough, low enough, and very well balanced, if a person cant start on one they should be looking at mopeds.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I voted yes but let me be clear. I do not think Vic should put out any model that inherently will lose them money. My guess is that a bike in the 500 to 750 cc range could be produced at a profit for beginning riders. I see that HD has come to the same conclusion and are producing both 500 and 750 cc bikes for "urban" riders. If I was producing bikes, there is no way I would cede the "beginner" market to my main competitor.

·
Registered
203 Posts
What the hell is a beginner bike? Is it a bike for a 5' 2" 110 lb. woman or a 6' 3" 240 lb. man? Any bike that is well balanced and forgiving could be considered a "beginner" bike. My wife had a HD 883 Sportster (that many consider a beginner bike) and she dropped it 8 times in 2 riding seasons. She traded it for a HD FLD Switchback and has done much better with it even though the bike is much heavier. There is no comparison between the handling of the two bikes. "Beginner Bike" is a misnomer.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
My CX500 beginner bike was more top heavy than my Kingpin. My wife thought her Honda Shadow 750 would be her beginner bike. Dropped it like a rock. Virago 250 has gotten a lot of use from my three sons, but my wife never got back into piloting a bike. She prefers riding bitch.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I didn't give you permission to use my picture.:p

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What the hell is a beginner bike? Is it a bike for a 5' 2" 110 lb. woman or a 6' 3" 240 lb. man? Any bike that is well balanced and forgiving could be considered a "beginner" bike. My wife had a HD 883 Sportster (that many consider a beginner bike) and she dropped it 8 times in 2 riding seasons. She traded it for a HD FLD Switchback and has done much better with it even though the bike is much heavier. There is no comparison between the handling of the two bikes. "Beginner Bike" is a misnomer.
It has been proven that people learn better and faster on a smaller and easier to manage bike. You can learn on a 800lb touring bike but it's much harder to do so and tip over protection would be a real good idea since you will most likely drop it several times.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
203 Posts
The size and weight of a bike is essentially irrelevant except maybe in your head. If you are unable to keep even a lightweight bike beyond the point of no return you are going to drop it. The weight & size doesn't matter. Keep the bike vertical and you can ride any bike. I will agree that a smaller bike is actually...smaller.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
It has been proven that people learn better and faster on a smaller and easier to manage bike. You can learn on a 800lb touring bike but it's much harder to do so and tip over protection would be a real good idea since you will most likely drop it several times.

Just because the bike is smaller doesnt mean its easier. I taught myself how to ride about ten years ago, it was a small sporty bike, i went from that to a cb750, then to a ten foot long chopper, a vegas, now to my XC, I have yet to drop a bike. A lot of the time the dropping stories to me are because the person doesnt make the bike fit them, if the seat is to high and your trying to tippytoe even the smallest bike its just a matter of time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't think they need a smaller bike. I started on a Vegas and had no problem. It is all in how balanced it is. Went to a rider course after about 500 miles was second in the class. They could not believe that was all I had ridden. I have 12000 miles on mine and have not dropped it yet.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts