Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't like how my side panels were fitting. I just ran some safety wire to them for insurance So they dont come off. While ordering some parts I decided to get a set of these grommets. Good thing I did. The old ones are on the bottom. These are from a 2016 1200 miles. It only saw a few trips last summer. I tried electrical tape around the spade and IMO it only made the fit worse. New ones are a night and day diff. Who ever makes these needs to keep making them!!! Mine were dated 12/17 I expect to be replacing these next spring.
[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:grin After reading about all the M8 Harley problems in the last couple of days....I felt I needed to take the time and post up this warning for everyone. I dont know whats worse. Blown head gaskets or valve seats falling out. I guess I will never know anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
I didn't like how my side panels were fitting. I just ran some safety wire to them for insurance So they dont come off. While ordering some parts I decided to get a set of these grommets. Good thing I did. The old ones are on the bottom. These are from a 2016 1200 miles. It only saw a few trips last summer. I tried electrical tape around the spade and IMO it only made the fit worse. New ones are a night and day diff. Who ever makes these needs to keep making them!!! Mine were dated 12/17 I expect to be replacing these next spring.
[/url][/IMG]
Can you measure
I.D. = xx milimeter
O.D. = xx milimeter
Thik . = xx milimeter

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would use my veniarial calipers but they are kind of porous. In fact, there is oil leaking out of them and I can't figure out where its coming from. I could try a dial bore gauge but the oil pump has seized the piston. Hopefully I can return for a refund.

Just heard back from the factory. They are going to replace the piston and the cyl and since only one piston seized, we will not be replacing the other side. I Figure that's fair enough. The tool was thoroughly damaged but since only one piston seized....well that's all they are going to replace. Strand you later.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I would use my veniarial calipers but they are kind of porous. In fact, there is oil leaking out of them and I can't figure out where its coming from. I could try a dial bore gauge but the oil pump has seized the piston. Hopefully I can return for a refund.

Just heard back from the factory. They are going to replace the piston and the cyl and since only one piston seized, we will not be replacing the other side. I Figure that's fair enough. The tool was thoroughly damaged but since only one piston seized....well that's all they are going to replace. Strand you later.
Huh? I don't understand what this has to do with the grommets. Whatever it is about, it sounds bad. Please elaborate - although probably in a new thread.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I've read on the forums that Honda uses the same sized grommet but of a better material to the ones Polaris chose. I'll try to find a link to the Honda item number and will post it if I find it.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Maybe it’s because my Blackbird is a Tour model, with passenger floor boards, rather than pegs, but I can barely get the side covers off when I want to! Also, Blackbird has BBob’s heat deflectors under the gas tank, hanging down over the side covers. Those further secure the side covers from coming off or even being taken off intentionally. All of that said, I do not find the side covers loose, either. It does require considerable care to seat all three posts in the holes whenever reinstalling the side covers.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thing is we all know how they feel coming off and putting on. Its the several poor sobs that talk about them blowing off gone forever or busted up on the road. How does this happen? Dust and dirt has easy access to get into the grommet holes from the back. Its a matter of time. Would you know if one of them just blew off your bike?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Off

Bueller years ago right after I got my XR I lost the left side cover. No I never felt it come off. Now the other thing is I guess as expensive as they are somebody may have borrowed the side cover from my bike. It they borrowed it I never got it back. Very expensive the way I remember it, I did not have the bike for two weeks when I lost one.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thing is we all know how they feel coming off and putting on. Its the several poor sobs that talk about them blowing off gone forever or busted up on the road. How does this happen? Dust and dirt has easy access to get into the grommet holes from the back. Its a matter of time. Would you know if one of them just blew off your bike?
I believe the rubber dries out and no longer grabs the spike on the cover. That's what I saw when I replaced mine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes, I did.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Put some heat shrink on the side cover pins to tighten them in the grommets. It helps then to slip on too.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Put some heat shrink on the side cover pins to tighten them in the grommets. It helps then to slip on too.
Witchdoctor thinks so too. Even has a video for that. So I experimented with some slick electrical tape. Lol. stupid but wtf right. Personally I would have engineered these to grab a little tighter. So I bought a https://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Safety-Pliers-Stainless-340488R/dp/B000WJ3LMS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523923207&sr=8-2&keywords=safety+wire

Better deal on ebay. I know I will not be picking these up off the road now.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Casually... I see a fucking 1/8 inch shrink in 1200 miles.
You're seeing a shrink? I was going to recommend you do, but you beat me to it. :)

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I know I had a part number around here in like three other threads for the Honda numbers.

83504-GE0-000
Thank you for the Honda item number Paulie.

The way I see it and as expected the grommets can simply wear out (dry out) over time. No big deal, it's a small rubber part and it wears out. Replace all six of them annually like spark plugs or replace the grommets every two years or so. Mine are original from my 2012 and they're still fine. I do have 6 new ones waiting to be installed once my priginal ones start wearing out.

I did have to trim the left side top edge a bit as the wire harness was preventing that cover from fully seating into the grommet. Again, no big deal and it was caused by me adding the extra wires to the harness for the wireless ignition, PC5 etc. Putting something like heat shrink on the side cover pin exacerbates the problem and would likely be a short lived 'resolution'. I'd suggest actually fixing the problem would return better results than masking the problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts