Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My brother's bike is accessorized a little over the top, in my opinion, (spike grips/pegs, chrome tribal rims, lots of chrome, and slash pipes) and we decided it needed an intake to match to look. I've always liked the HD side mount spike intakes, so that's the route we went. All the fabbing was done on my black '04 Vegas, but it'll be going on his blue '04 Vegas.

I'll admit, he isn't concerned with making the bike fast, so this is more of a form over function project, but it will still be a performance improvement over the stock box. The coils are relocated to the tab on the front of the plenum base plate, and the key will be moved to the RH cheese wedge. Its still a work in progress (still need to finish the plenum), but its far enough to get an idea of the final result. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Few more shots of the intake. It looks even better in person when you can really get the dimension and fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I've seen these on other bikes and think they do really look good. However, as others have pointed out, the routing could be an issue as there may not be the clearance needed in order to allow the bike to breath naturally. The filter itself is in that nose cone thing, right?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a heck of a turn to get into the intake tract. You going to pipe it direct in or some kind of air box?
I still need to finish the rest of the plenum (air box). The filter is in the front cone.

Like I mentioned before, maximizing performance isn't the #1 priority on this project... that's what my bike is for. ;) The engine gets air from the volume of air in the plenum, not the intake tube itself, hence the fact that the air has to make a 180* turn is very little concern for perfomance... just look at how many curves and turns the stock box makes the air go through.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow, that's a pretty impressive piece of hardware for a side intake. Most other bikes that I've seen who wanted the side intake just bolted on a non funtional side intake and went with a performance big air kit in the factory location. Then they could hide their coils inside the intake.

Hopefully the intake will be awesome. It will be truly unique for that bike to have functional side intake. Is there any reason why you didn't go with a non-functional side intake and keep the factory intake track together?

·
Registered
774 Posts
About 50 % of the Raider owners have these on their bikes but just for looks. That little filter in the cone probably wouldn't feed a Moped. But they do look good.
thumb up
We put our coils in the tube for cooling and they help a bit with rear cyl. cooling. No way to make them functional on a Raider due to the motor mounts in the way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there any reason why you didn't go with a non-functional side intake and keep the factory intake track together?
I had considered it, but what fun would that be?? :p

About 50 % of the Raider owners have these on their bikes but just for looks. That little filter in the cone probably wouldn't feed a Moped. But they do look good.
I have actually been more concerned with the flow of the filter than of the intake itself from the start... but again, not going for 100% max performance. We have a good "performance comparison" baseline between his bike and mine, so I guess we'll find out how good or bad it really is pretty soon. Worst case senario when the bike does hit the track is throw a 2.5" inlet K&N on it, or ditch the filter all together. :D

These really freak the hardly guys out.
This pic is what originally got me wanting a side intake... that, and the fact that basically no one has a functional side intake on a Vic cheers

·
Registered
263 Posts
I guess I'm not a big fan of form over function. I guess it's okay if you want an "old school" kinda thing, but I traded in my "old school" designed Harley for a modern, well-engineered bike.

There's more than one reason why Victory and most other modern performance bikes use an "over the cylinder" air intake. Other than just the performance advantage, it reduces the clutter between the cylinders giving a better flow of air for heat dissipation, especially on the rear cylinder. This is part of the problem that Harley is encountering now with their traditional intake design on their bigger engines and why the rear cylinder is having heat problems.

But I guess if by "form over function" you mean you're not too worried about cooling.... wac

·
Registered
774 Posts
Put a SAC, spike air cleaner, on each side and it might be enough. Couple Raider guys have done that but not functional.
The one your using is the lowest priced one I have seen.
Ok, use two and you might make more power than the Torque tubes and only spend half the price.thumb up
And sure look better.thumb up
Nice to see owners experimenting..thumb up

·
Registered
774 Posts
There's more than one reason why Victory and most other modern performance bikes use an "over the cylinder" air intake. Other than just the performance advantage, it reduces the clutter between the cylinders giving a better flow of air for heat dissipation, especially on the rear cylinder. This is part of the problem that Harley is encountering now with their traditional intake design on their bigger engines and why the rear cylinder is having heat problems

And reduces the fuel capacity by a bunch.cheers

·
Registered
355 Posts
I like it. If the filter will let it suck the air it needs through it I don't think it will cut performance over the stocker.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I guess I'm not a big fan of form over function.
Says the guy with factory ape hangers and swept pipes. . . thumb up

Put a SAC, spike air cleaner, on each side and it might be enough. Couple Raider guys have done that but not functional.
The one your using is the lowest priced one I have seen.
Ok, use two and you might make more power than the Torque tubes and only spend half the price.
And sure look better.
Nice to see owners experimenting..thumb up
You cought me... it is the cheapest spike I could find. :p I wasn't sure if this idea was even going to work, so I didn't want to drop a ton of money on it. I do like the idea of using it as a functional rear cylinder cooling duct... I haven't seen any rule saying it has to be an air intake for the engine. And like I said before, the styling was really a deciding factor to do this.cheers

You guys need to remove those lame reflectors off the front fork. Spend all that money on that bike and still have those on. :puke::ltr:
Uh, yea... I'll go with function over form on that one. . . :rolleyes:

I like the looks of it, keep up the good work.
I like it. If the filter will let it suck the air it needs through it I don't think it will cut performance over the stocker.
Thanks. When I first started I wasn't sure if it would even perform up to the stock box, but the farther I go, the more confident I am that it will be at least a minor improvement. We'll know for sure once its done and we do some "comparitive driving" against my Vegas. :D

·
Registered
526 Posts
I guess I'm not a big fan of form over function. I guess it's okay if you want an "old school" kinda thing, but I traded in my "old school" designed Harley for a modern, well-engineered bike.

There's more than one reason why Victory and most other modern performance bikes use an "over the cylinder" air intake. Other than just the performance advantage, it reduces the clutter between the cylinders giving a better flow of air for heat dissipation, especially on the rear cylinder. This is part of the problem that Harley is encountering now with their traditional intake design on their bigger engines and why the rear cylinder is having heat problems.

But I guess if by "form over function" you mean you're not too worried about cooling.... wac
Just curious, what's the performance advantage?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts