Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have NO experience with sidecars but I'd like to build one, start with a frame, add a Vegas front tire to the sidecar and build the body from fiberglass.

Does anybody have a sidecar on their bike or know where I could get one for cheap? I like the hotrod style that's been floating around the web.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Unless you have access to tubing, a bender and a welder and know how to use them it could be quite a challenge. Not to mention have you ever ridden with a sidecar? It's a different ride altogether.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it changes the ride, but I'd like to take my kids on rides (especially my daughter since she's 9) and feel safer having them strapped into a sidecar. Plus I think for them it'd be more enjoyable. Basically wanted a prefabbed frame and connections and I'd build it up from there.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
By all means go for it. I always had fun with mine. Ebay and Craigslist and suppose lots of motorcycle forums. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
This might be what you are looking for:
http://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecars/sidecar-frame/

Check this site out, the people here are very helpful.
http://sidecar.com/mbbs22/category-view.asp

This is the best book I have read on how to drive a sidecar.
Well worth the money. Be sure to read it before you go for your first ride. They really are different but if you read this book and follow it closely you should have no problem transitioning to one.
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/driving-a-sidecar-outfit-2nd-edition

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
No disk break on the sidecar wheel ? Thought that should be standard ?

I think sidecars are sooooo cool to see, here many vespa's have sidecars and just love looking at them, so a vic would be way cooler

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
No disk break on the sidecar wheel ? Thought that should be standard ?

I think sidecars are sooooo cool to see, here many vespa's have sidecars and just love looking at them, so a vic would be way cooler

Vespas are a little different because they probably don't go fast enough to really get ugly when you panic stop. (can you panic stop a vespa with a hack?)

On heavy weight bikes, most people shy away from a brake on the hack.
If you have one it should be adjustable, it should supply more braking if you have more weight in the car. If you don't adjust it each time you change the weight in the car you find the wheel locking and skidding or not applying enough braking should you have to panic stop.
Neither is good for your life expectancy because the hack acts differently in each situation. Never being sure how it will react in an emergency is a recipe for disaster.

For those who want a brake there are several ways to do it and control it with proportioning valves etc. One of the better ways is to mount a second master cylinder and pedal next to the bikes rear pedal in such a manner that your foot can span both when desired. Then the hack's brake can be used for turning the rig quicker if needed. They say they are pretty handy that way.

Most sidecars offer a brake as a option but generally don't come with one. The more exotic high performance cars are the exception. They come with sophisticated braking systems I think. They were always far from what I had to spend so I'm not really sure.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Truth of the matter is that sidecars don't have to be very sophisticated to work and work well. There are a bunch running around the country with just a square steel tube frame and a #250 rubber trailer torsion axle welded to it. If set up right they work as well as something commercially built.

After all it's just a platform and a wheel added to the side of a motorcycle.

Main things are that the frame must be stout enough so that it doesn't bend or flex when the bike is forcing down on it in a left hand corner from the combined force of the passenger/cargo, and substantial force generated by the weight of the bike and driver trying to mash it into the ground aided by the inertia and other forces as you go around a corner at speed.

They need to weigh enough for the bike they are mounted to.
200 to 250 # should be about correct for a touring bike. If you ask on the forums people will point you to the rules of thumb etc.

Car or trailer tires work best on the hack and rear of the bike because of the short life of motorcycle tires used as rear tires or hack tires and that the bike almost never leans. Adding the car takes almost 1/3rd of the weight off the rear tire so the tire slips far more than designed. Car tires are one of the better investments you can make.

The sidecar does not even require suspension. All road racing sidecars to my knowledge have no suspension on the hack.
F1's and F2's are this way. They provide superior handling this way but you must then find someway to handle passenger comfort.
Racing hacks don't have to worry about potholes obviously.

I nearly built my first one because I wasn't sure I would really like it.
Then I fell into a deal I couldn't refuse. People on the forums are very helpful. Start asking questions and they point you to the answers.

Now that we have it, if I could only keep one bike of the ones I own, it would be the sidecar bike. We both like it that much. If I had kids again it would be a no brainer. Best way to insure the family never pressures you to sell your bike is to make certain that it is something that the entire family loves and can't do without. Sidecars fit that bill perfectly. Kids love them, even their friends think they are cool. What is not to like?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want something low slung, along these lines. I'd like the metal frame and then fiberglass my way up. I'll call liberty since they are relatively local.

Konga- hopefully we can go for a ride. I went to start my bike today and it wouldn't fire. Turned over and started to fire once then nothing. Hopefully I can get a look at it Wednesday or Thursday. Hoping it's something stupid.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I want something low slung, along these lines. I'd like the metal frame and then fiberglass my way up. I'll call liberty since they are relatively local.

Konga- hopefully we can go for a ride. I went to start my bike today and it wouldn't fire. Turned over and started to fire once then nothing. Hopefully I can get a look at it Wednesday or Thursday. Hoping it's something stupid.
Wow that is a beautiful rig. Any idea who made it?

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
When I had my sidecar it was "professionally", installed and purchased fron hennigan. It was a decent car, albeit overpriced ,but I had the money so what the hell. I chose the brake option which was disc and cable operated. The cable ran to a bracket and a pivot arm that attached to my rear brake pedal. Worked pretty well. I also chose the hydraulic option which raised and lowered the suspension on the car. This allowed me to adjust for weight in the car and road camber. All in all it allowed me to take my son with on trips so it served its purpose.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
If money was no object or I had the time to fabricate something similar, this is what I would own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts