Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, feeling kinda dumb posting this but what the hell. Every bike i've ever owned save for one that was built by the factory to be track only (no sidestand) and my old '72 CB450 has had an interlock switch on the sidestand such that the bike would cut off if the stand is down and the bike is put into gear. In my 14ish years of riding i've occasionally managed to forget to put the stand up before selecting 1st and the bike shuts off. Always a little embarrassing by easy enough to recover from. Yesterday I'm out for a long ride with the Mrs. on her bike. Near the end of the trip we fuel up and get set to head out. I put the bike in gear and just as I'm pulling away from the pump she yells (we have Sena's to chat with each other) "BABE KICKSTAND!" Huh?? Come to a stop and sure enough the stand is still all the way down and the bike is happily running in gear.

Do these bikes not have a sidestand switch? I'm not about to bash Victory for not putting one on, it's my own stupidity if I crash because I left the thing down but I was genuinely surprised to find that it didn't shut down when I put it in gear.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
It prevents you from starting in gear if the sidestand is down and the clutch is not disengaged. Which is pretty lame.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it is there but doesn't kill the motor as long as you have the clutch in? Seems kinda pointless. Either way that would suggest I have a problem with mine since I got the thing moving a couple mph before she yelled at me and I stopped the bike. Was still running at that point. I bought it used so I wonder if the PO bypassed the switch. Guess I'll have to have a little looksee

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
It will not shut it off no matter what. It only prevents it from starting if the stand is down, you're in gear, and the clutch is not in.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Don't get to bent out of shape because of a switch. The kickstand can be in the down position when starting out. It is also designed to if it does touch the ground it will flip up without a problem. Go for a ride by yourself and try it. I have done it a couple of times without any issues. cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
I too have to admit that I was a bit surprised that my new CCT did not have such a switch. This weekend I ended up riding off TWICE with the kickstand down. It did bounce up into position but if it had caught wrong it could be a disaster.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I too have to admit that I was a bit surprised that my new CCT did not have such a switch. This weekend I ended up riding off TWICE with the kickstand down. It did bounce up into position but if it had caught wrong it could be a disaster.
This is why I ask the question. On the bikes that I've owned without a switch I've almost crashed (thankfully only once) because I tipped in for a left hander and found the sidestand. It flipped up but not before the chassis was horribly upset by the impact. At the time I had no skill to speak of so it was sheer luck that I rode it out.

·
Registered
851 Posts
All American Victory bikes have a clutch switch. It prevents you from starting your bike in gear without the clutch being pulled in.

Several American Victory bikes DO NOT have a sidestand switch. It would prevent you from riding off with the sidestand down by killing the motor when you put it in gear with the stand down.

There are a lot of people (including me) who have had it on every other bike they've owned. If memory serves me correctly Harley doesn't have one either.

Not a big deal though. The rubber pad is there to put the stand up if you try riding off with it down as demonstrated in this video

·
Registered
160 Posts
It will not shut it off no matter what. It only prevents it from starting if the stand is down, you're in gear, and the clutch is not in.

Thats not the sidestand switch.....because there just plain isnt one.

I cant speak for bikes imported to other countries.....but Victories in 'Merica dont have side stand switches.

The switch keeping you from starting your bike in gear unless you pull the clutch in is a clutch safety switch - its located on/in your clutch perch.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Would be easy enough to add a Kickstand Switch if truly feel the need for one, as long as doesn't start in gear I don't myself ..

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
There are quite a few things that Polaris short changes you on if you came from a Japanese bike. My cheap base model Suzuki M50 had the kickstand kill switch, forks that lock, and the plastic side covers needed tools and/or a ignition key to remove them. These are little things but for the price of these bikes I feel Ma Vic should have put a little more thought into them.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Jackpot 2013 side stand kil-switch WORKING OK

strange and interesting that so many difference in years and countries of the same bikes.....

Jackpot 2013
Start engine with kick stand out = OK
Put bike in gear with side stand out = ENGINE STOP

the way it supposed to be in a logical world, no complicated clutch-safe etc, just on the moment you put that thing in gear the engine stops..

It happened 2 time to me already and I am glad my jackpot engine stops when you put the bike into gear....

if every bike you ever owned had this feature, why would a company NOT put a simple safety device in place in different countries?? :confused:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Would be easy enough to add a Kickstand Switch if truly feel the need for one
I was thinking that too, but after digging into the service manual a bit, it sounds like the ECM needs to be reflashed in order for it to work. Not even sure if that could be done as it says that you need to "choose the correct calibration ... verify the VIN is correct ... or a no start condition could occur."

That's OK though, I'm convinced my kickstand will stow itself should I forget to put it up. Think I've done it twice now.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are quite a few things that Polaris short changes you on if you came from a Japanese bike. My cheap base model Suzuki M50 had the kickstand kill switch, forks that lock, and the plastic side covers needed tools and/or a ignition key to remove them. These are little things but for the price of these bikes I feel Ma Vic should have put a little more thought into them.
The lack of a fork lock was another surprise. I don't think i've EVER owned a bike without one. Not that I ever use them but I was still surprised.

I was thinking that too, but after digging into the service manual a bit, it sounds like the ECM needs to be reflashed in order for it to work. Not even sure if that could be done as it says that you need to "choose the correct calibration ... verify the VIN is correct ... or a no start condition could occur."

That's OK though, I'm convinced my kickstand will stow itself should I forget to put it up. Think I've done it twice now.
Nah, would be easy enough to wire a switch inline with the engine cut off switch or tip over sensor. Basically just cut the wire into or out of one of those two things and run it through a sidestand switch. Stand is up, connection is made or broken depending on how the rest of that circuit is supposed to function. ECU wouldn't have a clue that you added it, it would simply be another interlock switch like every other bike.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The lack of a fork lock was another surprise. I don't think i've EVER owned a bike without one. Not that I ever use them but I was still surprised.

Nah, would be easy enough to wire a switch inline with the engine cut off switch or tip over sensor. Basically just cut the wire into or out of one of those two things and run it through a sidestand switch. Stand is up, connection is made or broken depending on how the rest of that circuit is supposed to function. ECU wouldn't have a clue that you added it, it would simply be another interlock switch like every other bike.
That would prevent you from starting the bike with the kickstand down whether you're in gear or not.

For the kickstand switch to work properly you would have to also to tie the neutral sensor in as well. It is possible but hardly a simple task.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Very strange but on my 2013 I have a fork-lock (took me a while to understand that word" :D

so also I have the kick-stand-kill-switch

Strange but true :crzy::crzy::crzy:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Tip over circuit relies on a reference voltage. Hacking into that one would just get you a check engine light. Not that you'd want to deal with the tip over sensor reset procedure every time you wanted to start the bike anyway.

Engine cut-off could work, but (as already mentioned by Goatlocker) you wouldn't be able to start the bike at all unless the kickstand was up, even if it was in neutral. Too inconvenient if you ask me. If I was going to add a kickstand switch, I'd rather do it right.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts