Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been fighting an annoying whine since I bought my XC about two months ago. The dealer can't figure it out and told me to come back at a 1000 miles because it might be a break-in thing. Well I am almost there and there is no change in the whine at all. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with gas related components. Today, I was filling my tank and I Always thought the gas cap design makes it very difficult to fill the tank. Then I thought, maybe the gas cap assembly is on backwards. When you put the key in and open the gas cap, is the cap supposed to flip on the hinge towards the fairing and away from the driver, or is the cap supposed to open towards the driver so you have to place the hose between the cap and the fairing?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
the hinge should be on the side nearest you when you're sitting on the bike. I've read a few threads complaining about gas cap design...I just don't see it. No harder than anything else to fuel in my estimation.

If your whine sounds like a whistling noise, it could certainly be fuel tank venting, perhaps vacuum relief in the cap. If it sounds mechanical it could be belt tension is too tight. The gear boxes on these bikes are also a bit noisy and could contribute to a "whine" sort of sound. Under what conditions do you hear the noise?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
the gas cap is designed that way, to be a pain in the ass , as soon as i get a few other things done mine will be replaced.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
13,003 Posts
You could leave gas cap open just a bit with some tape and take a ride and see if its gone.
Look for your vent and see if something is blocking it

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
You are probably trying to fill it wrong. You have to put the fuel nozzle straight VERTICAL. Do NOT tilt it AT ALL and you will notice that you can run the fuel in full speed (pulling the level all the way in). Considering that you MUST be straight up and down, the fact that the cap tilts towards the rider makes it irrelevant as the lid is not in the way at all while filling up

I was used to tilting the nozzle on cars, boats, etc and the tendency is to tilt it but doing that actually BLOCKS the fuel from flowin gin smoothly.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
the key/cap is completely in the way when filling , and if you point straight up snd down you will shoot it straight down at the backbone , point it down and to the right.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
However, none if this addresses the whine he's talking about. How loud is this whine? Maybe it's the fuel pump...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
the key/cap is completely in the way when filling , and if you point straight up snd down you will shoot it straight down at the backbone , point it down and to the right.

You DO point is STRAIGHT up and down. No angle AT ALL and it will fill FAR better. Just pull the lever all the way and pump at full flow! try it and you will be surprised. I sure was thumb up

As to the whine noise... It may simply be the rubber gasket under the tank was removed. From the factory, the rubber peice is there to reduce engine noise. Most people remove it when they put in an aftermarket air filter so that the engine can breath eaiser and therefore make more horsepower. That noise is fairly well documented here but we can't tell if this owner has had that done (maybe by his dealer when new perhaps?)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hello,

I have been fighting an annoying whine since I bought my XC about two months ago. The dealer can't figure it out and told me to come back at a 1000 miles because it might be a break-in thing. Well I am almost there and there is no change in the whine at all. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with gas related components. Today, I was filling my tank and I Always thought the gas cap design makes it very difficult to fill the tank. Then I thought, maybe the gas cap assembly is on backwards. When you put the key in and open the gas cap, is the cap supposed to flip on the hinge towards the fairing and away from the driver, or is the cap supposed to open towards the driver so you have to place the hose between the cap and the fairing?

Thanks
I've had two cross bikes.... And the gas caps open rearward..... Not towards the fairing. I don't have a problem filing the tank...... Just crank the handlebars hard left and there ya have it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I get the same noise once in a while, it almost sounds like a turbo spooling up or a hissing sound. I was told by a Victory mechanic that it is related to the fuel pump and is quite normal on some bikes. I've pretty much tuned it out now after five months and a few thousand miles.

As far as fueling is concerned, for years and years I've always fueled a bike from the right hand side since that's where most of the fuel caps are located. I had a Polaris test rider tell me to fuel from the left and drape the hose over the left handlebar, no muss no fuss.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The first time I filled up, I thought the cap was installed backwards! After a couple times, it got easier! Still seems like its not the best design, and at some point I plan to change it. I don't think your noise is cap related. Leave it open and go for a ride!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've gotten used to it. I think it is a poor design to flip backwards but it's better than not having a hinge. I will say the Coyote-X hinge I added to my VTX has been one of the most appreciated add-ons I made to that bike. It flips like the XC but in the correct direction.

With each of my bikes I've figured out what works for me for filling the tank while still on the bike and not splashing gas out. I've got it figured out now. :)

Rob

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts