Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
As to the bike being designed by engineers yes that's true. But you forgot to add "cost efficiency" as their secondary goal.

The "fashionable parts" you speak of were designed by individual independent engineers to not only look good but perform well when properly installed.
Fair enough, but engineered for what? A 600 lb cruiser made for around town duty or an 850 lb touring bike with two healthy Amurican sized riders and bags loaded to the gills running 70 mph up and down the BRPW?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Ok first, is there a site called chopped baggers? I will have to check it out! And my experience here was on a 78 cb750 chopper, 14" over springer, HD single front disc brake, I used a master designed for 2 calipers, its touchy and will lock up if not paying attention. You need to check what the bore size is of the master and see what it is designed to run. It may be ok. I do stand by my first statement still though, I think 2 discs looks more balanced.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ok first, is there a site called chopped baggers? I will have to check it out! And my experience here was on a 78 cb750 chopper, 14" over springer, HD single front disc brake, I used a master designed for 2 calipers, its touchy and will lock up if not paying attention. You need to check what the bore size is of the master and see what it is designed to run. It may be ok. I do stand by my first statement still though, I think 2 discs looks more balanced.

This is correct. A master cylinder designed for two calipers would be oversized for 1 caliper. But that being said, the brakes on the XC are so soft anyways that I think I would try the single caliper with the stock master cylinder. It might be OK but it also might take some trial and error to get it exactly right (swapping brake pads, different master cylinders, etc.)

I also agree that the single caliper would not be the way that I would want to go. I don't like the brake with two calipers, there is no way I'm cutting that in half.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Wouldn't you think a part designed and engineered for a bagger would be capable of performing on a 800 lb machine. Think you really need to do your research sir.
thanks
dan

PS. I forgot to include Arlen Ness, John Shope, Paul Tracy, Paul Yaffe, Mr. Sands from Performance Machine. All guys running million dollar corps, doing R&D and building parts and bikes. And I'm sure the list goes on. Please do you research sir before you quote opinions of something you know absolutely nothing about except what you've heard from others talking bench racing.

·
13,303 Posts
Wouldn't you think a part designed and engineered for a bagger would be capable of performing on a 800 lb machine. Think you really need to do your research sir.
thanks
dan

PS. I forgot to include Arlen Ness, John Shope, Paul Tracy, Paul Yaffe, Mr. Sands from Performance Machine. All guys running million dollar corps, doing R&D and building parts and bikes. And I'm sure the list goes on. Please do you research sir before you quote opinions of something you know absolutely nothing about except what you've heard from others talking bench racing.
So your saying that these guys ride back roads and go down ribbon roads like we do. HA HA. By the way both Ness and Yaffe road dual dic bikes to sturgis.
There are bar hopper bikes designed for show and to sell parts. No they don't do research before building a one rotter bikes.
Think of this if a single rotor bike would stop you why does a Hayabusa have two rotors.
Yes one rotor will stop you or will you bounce three times before you stop.

·
13,303 Posts
This is correct. A master cylinder designed for two calipers would be oversized for 1 caliper. But that being said, the brakes on the XC are so soft anyways that I think I would try the single caliper with the stock master cylinder. It might be OK but it also might take some trial and error to get it exactly right (swapping brake pads, different master cylinders, etc.)

I also agree that the single caliper would not be the way that I would want to go. I don't like the brake with two calipers, there is no way I'm cutting that in half.

Good luck!
A dual caliper master cylinder will be softer with one line. Yes it will work but there will be more travel in the lever. Why do you think the boar on master cylinder are two different sizes.
Your trying to be cheap with your life. You only have one life.
remember that.
You think I'm lying to you call Ness or Yaffe and ask them

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
So your saying that these guys ride back roads and go down ribbon roads like we do. HA HA. By the way both Ness and Yaffe road dual dic bikes to sturgis.
There are bar hopper bikes designed for show and to sell parts. No they don't do research before building a one rotter bikes.
Think of this if a single rotor bike would stop you why does a Hayabusa have two rotors.
In fairness, a single rotor can be adequate and even preferable on light bikes as it adds less unsprung weight. The problem with brakes is when they are used in spirited riding, they tend to get hot. And the more they gotta stop, the hotter their gonna get. When they get hot, the pads don't work as well, the fluid can convert to steam if there's water in the system and as a result, many lesser braking systems are known to "fade." Fading brakes are not something you want to experience when you round the corner and find a cow in the road (yes, it's happened to me).

Anyway, back to the heat thing. Two rotors will dissipate the heat built up twice as fast. So while a single disc might be adequate to stop perfectly well under single passenger cool riding conditions, there are conditions where they might not work so well.

Nothing wrong with taking risks, it makes life interesting, but I'm an engunear and I can't help myself but to provide people with info they may not have considered.

Two rotors in action:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Speaking of info that may have not been considered (or at least that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet)...

I could care less whether you choose to run one caliper or two, that is totally up to you. I'm sure it can be (and probably has been) done. But consider that even without making any modifications to your braking system, upgrading to that 23" front wheel is already significantly increasing the leverage the roadway has on your braking system. The 30% larger radius of your new wheel will increase the force applied to the rotors, just like using a cheater bar on a wrench.

There's no denying that braking performance will be decreased, it's simple physics. So the question becomes, just how much stopping power do you need for your style of riding versus how important is getting the look you're after? Only you know the answer to that question.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
So obviously you know them personally and rode with them to Sturgis. Yeah right! Haha. Do you personally know anyone who rides a chopped bagger? I doubt it or you wouldn't be spouting the the things you do. I do understand your concern and apprehension. Just try not to be so closed minded.

For those that care about custom chopped baggers head on over to choppedbaggers.com. Your questions will be answered, bunch of helpful folks over there, without getting put down for trying to do something "stupid".

·
Registered
851 Posts
A dual caliper master cylinder will be softer with one line. Yes it will work but there will be more travel in the lever. Why do you think the boar on master cylinder are two different sizes.
Your trying to be cheap with your life. You only have one life.
remember that.
You think I'm lying to you call Ness or Yaffe and ask them
I think you're confusing the master cylinder with the caliper. The master cylinder only has one exit. I don't have the design drawings but looking at mine it looks like it only has one piston.

A master cylinder works with pressure and volume from a single port. If it's designed to drive two calipers then it will have a higher volume with the same pressure. Depending on the design the calipers may be different sizes because the further you are from the cylinder more you have to decrease the volume to maintain the same pressure.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I think hes getting at that the bore size of a master for a single caliper is generally different then the bore for 2 calipers.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
When designed and executed properly, single disc front brakes can be very effective.

I am all for modifying motorcycles be it for looks or performance. Go for it and please do a write up when you have completed it with pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
When designed and executed properly, single disc front brakes can be very effective.

I am all for modifying motorcycles be it for looks or performance. Go for it and please do a write up when you have completed it with pictures.
damn i understand the why behind the larger discs on those bikes but why do they have to be so ugly!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
damn i understand the why behind the larger discs on those bikes but why do they have to be so ugly!
Ugly or not, unlike Buell's design concept of mass centralization which has been unversally copied, I bet you can't find a single racer in a major organization using that brake concept.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think hes getting at that the bore size of a master for a single caliper is generally different then the bore for 2 calipers.
I understand there are two different sized bores for the two different designs but I don't see that's what he was implying:

A dual caliper master cylinder will be softer with one line... Why do you think the boar on master cylinder are two different sizes...
Which is what I have a problem with. A master cylinder with a bore size designed to work with two calipers will not be softer if you use it with one caliper.

·
13,303 Posts
I understand there are two different sized bores for the two different designs but I don't see that's what he was implying:

Which is what I have a problem with. A master cylinder with a bore size designed to work with two calipers will not be softer if you use it with one caliper.
I'm sorry your right it will not be softer. It will be like a rock you will have a 1/16th travel and thats it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I spoke with Witch Doctor and he said that he did in on a bike and rode it around. According to him, the stopping power wasnt enough for XC for some reason...and he doesnt recommend it. He said he almost hit a bike in front of him when he was riding it. I guess the next option if I wanted to go with a single sided rotor would be to find a 16" rotor (if they make one for Victorys)

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Yes they are out there. You'll get better answered over at the other forumn you joined. I think Kewl ?metal and Glendyne make em. Also Gorby Machine who make parts for Witchdoctor and others.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts