Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys made your own brackets and sissy bars? I really dont have the money but would like to make a higher backrest for the wife on my 2004 vegas. I am thinking of making my own. I have looked at the tomahawk ones online and if one of you guys could snap a pic of the two spots it mounts on the side(maybe even some measurements) it would be apruciated. I think i can get some metal and make them and then pick up a used other bike brand top peice and make it all work. I have a friend who has a plasma cutter and welder I can have access to, the same guy will also do any powder coating i need. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dave

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I can tell you that they mount to bolts that mount the fender to the fender frame NOT the fender rails.

Wouldn't it be easier for you to remove you fender rails then measure the distance of the bolts?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well looking at the ones online it seemed that it mounted to one fender rail and and one fender frame bolt, but i guess thats wrong.Thanks for the heads up. Now that i know they both mount to fender/frame bolts it will give me a better perspective when i go out there and start mocking things up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Matt was wondering if that is the bracket that mounts under the pillion and if so--do you need that cute little thing anymore since you fabbed a new one???
Looks good and nice custom accent does the cross have an alternate function or is it purely asthetic?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Matt, it looks good. I might go that route but i am looking to make a sissy bar , not a back rest bracket. Im looking to make something like this below and i was hoping to use the upright from another sissy bar set up. You can find many cheap sissy bars onlne for other bikes, so its just a matter of making brackets and bolting/welding it all together(if possible), I have been looking right now for a upright section that is not too wide, still havent found what im looking for though, Im surprised at some of the widths of some of the jap bikes fenders, some are more than 4 inches wider that i could use.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Matt was wondering if that is the bracket that mounts under the pillion and if so--do you need that cute little thing anymore since you fabbed a new one???
Looks good and nice custom accent does the cross have an alternate function or is it purely asthetic?
no i dont need it its just collecting dust. i did use the pad and the bolts off of it. and the cross is just for looks, the longer bracket looked bare.

@oldcarjunkie i hear ya on that, i want a luggage rack too. if you figure it out please post some specs and pics

1 - 8 of 8 Posts