Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my oil today and used amsoil. Was just leaving the last stop of the night, and now it's like I blew my tranny. Will amsoil mess up or glaze the clutch plates? Hoping it's not serious problems, but I'm sitting here waiting for my buddy to show w a trailer and am expecting the worst. When I shift into gear i can hear something spinning. Tried first second and third gears it was all the same. If anubody's got any ideas, please let me know.

·
Registered
229 Posts
im running amsoil 20-50 in both my bikes and they run fine, i have 4k miles on one oil change and 2k miles on the other bikes oil change.

so i'd say that dosen't sound good....

·
Registered
229 Posts
did your belt break?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Belt's ok. When I start it up and shift into gear the speedo works (moves when I twist the throttle), sounded like something was just spinning when it first happened, but started it up when I got home and it made a metal grinding noise when I put it in gear, so I shut it down immediately so I wouldn't do anymore damage than what's already there. Think it's something major. Also, in the short time I ran it when I got it home, the front of the primary cover seemed too warm for what it should have, if that helps.

Anybody have a line on a service manual?

It's a 2003 v92c ftr.

Think it was wishful thinking it could've been the oil glazing the clutch plates.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I hate to throw this out so soon but there's a guy on here who just wrecked his v92 and might be looking to part it out. Man I hope you don't need that though.

·
12,970 Posts
See if your dealer has a primary gasket first off.
Pull the primary cover and see what you see. Don't think you did any thing to the clutch but maybe the stator fell a part.
Or take a long screw driver or even a broom and start the bike hold the broom handle on the primary and put your ear on the wood broom handle. You don't have to have your ear close to the motor the broom handle will transfer the sound.

·
Registered
229 Posts
yea, if you plan on tearing into it yourself, i'd just go ahead and start doing that, your guaranteed to be needing parts ordered, might as well do it all at once.

weird that it would just out of nowhere explode like that, dosent seem right, transmissions on these bikes are loud and alittle clunky but mostly bulletproof.

·
Premium Member
13,000 Posts
Anybody have a line on a service manual?

It's a 2003 v92c ftr.

Think it was wishful thinking it could've been the oil glazing the clutch plates.
If the clutch plates were marginal; this could indeed be the issue. A cheap and easy way to check it is to buy the cheapest 10/40wt oil you can find, change the oil, and see if it starts to bite.

For your service manual needs; go HERE.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the clutch plates were marginal; this could indeed be the issue. A cheap and easy way to check it is to buy the cheapest 10/40wt oil you can find, change the oil, and see if it starts to bite.

For your service manual needs; go HERE.
Awesome. Thanks. I noticed the Manuals today when I got on a real computer. Will definitely download them tonight.

So if the cheap 10/40 works, it just means I need a new clutch? That would be great. Not sure if work will be giving me enough OT to afford a transmission rebuild.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Before you screw around, and do a bunch of extra work. Pull off your output pulley cover, and inspect it. Sounds like you stripped it's splines. Shaft turns, but it is not pulling the belt around
Kevin we sure mis you around here!

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
torque compensator assembly broke it has a late build that had problems, new one uses different parts, see if it is under warranty, what year is it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kevinx, if you're ever in the Syracuse area I owe you dinner or a keg of beer or something. Pulled the pulley cover and looked at the splines. Everything seemed ok, but I noticed the sprocket nut was loose and that the splines for the pulley extended beyond the splines on the shaft. Loosed the belt and pulled off the pulley and it was as smooth as something that was very smooth inside. Very relieved that was all it appears to be, and you saved me a ton of work that i, quite frankly, am completely unqualified to do. I seriously appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
KevinX,
You saved the day again, now try not to ride off into the sunset again like the Lone Ranger!

CLUTCHfan,
Good to hear the damage isn't as bad as it could have been and I commend you on that usage of your tact filter with your "As smooth as something that was very smooth inside" statement! FYI, a couple of people on ride bikes and some of them may have cussed once or twice in their lives so the comment shouldn't go over too many peoples heads!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just glad I could help. I just happened to be here looking for something when I came across this thread. Unfortunately due to some of the policies here. I will still just do the occasional drive by.
Sorry to hear that Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just glad I could help. I just happened to be here looking for something when I came across this thread. Unfortunately due to some of the policies here. I will still just do the occasional drive by.
Kevin you have helped so many people on this site. It is a dam shame that the policies of this forum are keeping the GREATEST resource we Vic riders have from feeling welcome.You need to start your own site so we can all get the straight dope from source. I don't need a guy who just was in a thread about which cup holder looks best on his bagger trying to answer a tech question for me!!cheers

·
Registered
113 Posts
Kevin you have helped so many people on this site. It is a dam shame that the policies of this forum are keeping the GREATEST resource we Vic riders have from feeling welcome.You need to start your own site so we can all get the straight dope from source. I don't need a guy who just was in a thread about which cup holder looks best on his bagger trying to answer a tech question for me!!cheers
he does.. its over there at the *** site:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just the fact that Kevin and Rylan are always cruisin' the other website makes it well worth the price of admission.

Kevin has saved my bacon on one stressful occasion, and provided sound advice on others.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts