Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mate last night, new to bigger roadbikes, asked me about the clutch on his vt750 Honda Shadow 04 model,
Said felt like clutch slipping... Get this..zero freeplay!
I dialled in some freeplay and said try that....sweet!
Next he asks about grinding front brake!.....I look with torch in my phone.... Surprise!... It's down to metal in one side!
Recently Serviced at his local bike shop, . $180 for oil change!
And they let basic checkover items slip past,
Shocking!
He's riding to my workshop this morning, I've lined up some sintered pads. And I'll show him how to fit em, then when his oil /filter is due, I'll show him how we do that.
Bloody slack rip-off workshops!
Simple to check clutch freeplay and brake wear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's hard to find good talent for the workshop apparently.
A mate of mine runs a shop in Melbourne...he's gone through some dumbf**ks in his time. Cause more problems than fixing them
and damage the reputation of an otherwise good shop. Keep up the good work Motorbikerx.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard to find good talent for the workshop apparently.
A mate of mine runs a shop in Melbourne...he's gone through some dumbf**ks in his time. Cause more problems than fixing them
and damage the reputation of an otherwise good shop. Keep up the good work Motorbikerx.
Yeah we gotta teach these young fellas how to work on their own bikes.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Yeah we gotta teach these young fellas how to work on their own bikes.
Young and older too, MBX. We are two of a kind, as I too take others under my wing and show them how to. There is hardly anything on a Victory one needs to have a shop do, providing one knows which end of the screwdriver is the handle.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Young and older too, MBX. We are two of a kind, as I too take others under my wing and show them how to. There is hardly anything on a Victory one needs to have a shop do, providing one knows which end of the screwdriver is the handle.
Clockwise and anti clockwise I'd the big one in digital age a lot never seen a proper clock.
And throw torque wrench away. Learn how tight it tight
Anyway bikes got brakes now :smile

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
Nice of you to teach the guy, most times its on deaf ears, but sometimes you can see that they have interest and trying to do it themselves next time,

Good thread MbX...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice of you to teach the guy, most times its on deaf ears, but sometimes you can see that they have interest and trying to do it themselves next time,

Good thread MbX...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

This guys keen, done 17,000 kms in 4 months ownership.
2004 Honda Shadow VT750, it's a pretty reasonable bike too, coming from dirt bikes he was gonna get a 250 cruiser, I advised he go bigger

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Clockwise and anti clockwise I'd the big one in digital age a lot never seen a proper clock.
I was just showing a young lad in my area how to measure the belt tension and told him to put the rear tire valve at the 12 o'clock position and he had no idea what I was talking about.
He has never worn a watch and always used a smart phone.
I am making a video today about belt tension and now I am going to have to include a bit to the young folks about the position of a tire.
I know some will give my video a thumbs down because of that, but I guess it has to be done.
It's the same with handwriting, spelling, math... it is all done for them now. They are no longer taught this in school. Shame.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just showing a young lad in my area how to measure the belt tension and told him to put the rear tire valve at the 12 o'clock position and he had no idea what I was talking about.
He has never worn a watch and always used a smart phone.
I am making a video today about belt tension and now I am going to have to include a bit to the young folks about the position of a tire.
I know some will give my video a thumbs down because of that, but I guess it has to be done.
It's the same with handwriting, spelling, math... it is all done for them now. They are no longer taught this in school. Shame.
Yeah, Ive been quizzing my kids and they still have History and Geography and have a good idea of the rest of the world outside Australia, wheres your younger generation seem to be in a much worse state, like they're being purposely dumbed.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
A mate last night, new to bigger roadbikes, asked me about the clutch on his vt750 Honda Shadow 04 model,
Next he asks about grinding front brake!.....I look with torch in my phone.... Surprise!... It's down to metal in one side!
Shocking!
He's riding to my workshop this morning, I've lined up some sintered pads. And I'll show him how to fit em, then when his oil /filter is due, I'll show him how we do that.
**** like this is why I do my own work. And if I screw something up, I know who to blame!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Shocking!
I agree! It's crap isn't it?

Fort Worth, TX | 2010 Victory Cross Roads

1 - 11 of 11 Posts