Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah...I know there are TONS of lowering threads, but maybe this one is different...at least a little.

I am wondering how many of you that have had your bikes lowered using the LINK have also had the shortened kickstand, but even more interested in how many have also used the SKIDPLATE on your bike.

My main questions on the skidplate are:

1. How hard was that to install?
2. Is handling changed any at all with the skidplate installed...for better or worse? and how?
3. Did the weight make any difference at all to you? (By the way, these components from Mike at HMD are EXCELLENT quality).

So how about it...any one want to respond on ANY of these questions.

Wally

·
Registered
12,202 Posts

OK, I'll bite. Is there any intelligent and/or constructive reason for wanting to lower a bike when a common complaint is wanting MORE lean angle, not less?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

OK, I'll bite. Is there any intelligent and/or constructive reason for wanting to lower a bike when a common complaint is wanting MORE lean angle, not less?
OK...that's fine for people that want to "lean", but not everyone wants to scrape pegs on every turn. In the years I have been riding (1979), I have scraped pegs on ONE BIKE and only ONE TIME...I enjoy riding more than I do obstacle courses...but that's just my style of riding. I have plenty of buddies that love to lay the bike over and scrape their pegs...but I'm not one of them.

So I am lowering the bike to be able to "reach" the ground. Thanks though.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
12,202 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts

I'm 5'6" tall. I've been riding cruisers for years and it's very disconcerting to operate a bike when only your toes reach the ground. It's very hard to move the bike around and nearly impossible to back it up. I've lowered my bike an inch and it's so much better.
On a side note: Weighing only 150 lbs, I don't compress the suspension very much. If you weigh 250 lbs, your ride height might actually be close to mine! That kind of goes along with the observation that the big guys sadly miss out on the performance the smaller guys feel. My bike feels much slower (and it is) with my 100 lb wife on the back. That's how it feels to a 250 lb guy. Or, another way to look at it is that the extra 100lbs is about the same as adding cams.....

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
OK, OK, I get it. More power to you. cheers

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Skid plate took me all of 30 mins tops to install (not counting set up and putting away my tools) I don't notice the weight and it has no affect on handling. The difference for me was in using my jack, which is why I installed it. I have not lowered my bike however.

·
13,002 Posts
Thanks....the link isn't really what I think I'll have trouble with...I was more curious about the skidplate. Thanks.
So go buy the skid plate. It really doesn't have much to with lowering its more preventive shied. So if your a gravel road rider it would prevent a big rock of something cracking the case.
Skid plate is to give a rider peace of mind for that time when maybe you might ride over a Rather high speed bump or something.

Lowering your bike one inch gives you more strength when you have to maneuver your bike by your feet.

·
Registered
634 Posts
The skid plate is not hard to put on. It helps with the jack placement. The weight is of no issue and handling is the same. The low link, however, is another story. HMD has an excellent product. Not all low links are the same. Just had a major failure with the one I put one. Back of the bike just dropped!! Fortunately, I was going slow. Choose your products wisely!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The skid plate is not hard to put on. It helps with the jack placement. The weight is of no issue and handling is the same. The low link, however, is another story. HMD has an excellent product. Not all low links are the same. Just had a major failure with the one I put one. Back of the bike just dropped!! Fortunately, I was going slow. Choose your products wisely!!

Did you have to lift the bike up? Did you do one end and then the other end when bolting it in...

·
Registered
269 Posts
lowered

Yeah...I know there are TONS of lowering threads, but maybe this one is different...at least a little.

I am wondering how many of you that have had your bikes lowered using the LINK have also had the shortened kickstand, but even more interested in how many have also used the SKIDPLATE on your bike.

My main questions on the skidplate are:

1. How hard was that to install?
2. Is handling changed any at all with the skidplate installed...for better or worse? and how?
3. Did the weight make any difference at all to you? (By the way, these components from Mike at HMD are EXCELLENT quality).

Wally
Hey Wally,
As you know, I lowered my bike an inch..had to get the shorter kickstand since I didn't want the bike standing straight up on level ground. This past weekend a couple friends and I took a 4 day ride around Arkansas mostly the western side of the state. Took some corners way too fast....snuck up on me ..blind corners tht didn't stop turning!!! Had I been on the VTX I would have easily scrapped the pegs. I was pretty close to scrapping although I'm not sure how close as I was trying to concentrate on staying in my lane but my bell hit the ground at least once and its on the inside of the floorboard. Mark scrapped his Vision floorboards and its not lowered.
I don't have the skid plate... been thnking about it but other than jacking the bike up, I don't think its needed.
I can't tell any difference in the ride being lowered. I rode it back from Gainsville FL where I bought the bike in stock configuration. I did have trouble backing the bike up stock as I'm shorter than you. Lowering helped a little in that department but the passanger floorboards are still in the way but I can back up now as long as I don't have to back up hill or in sand etc... The handlebar change helped allot too in riding comfort. The seat needs help compared to the VTX mustang... there seems to be a couple areas on my fat ass that it feels like there is something sharp after a day in the saddle. I know I need something like a sheepskin... that may help withs the hot ass. I went through a half a bottle of baby powder it was so freakin hot this weekend. Did you come up with anything as far as heat coming off the motor at slow speeds...? this is the hottest bike I've ever ridden while going slow or stopped and mine doesn't have the lowers..! BTW 74 to 123.. 123 to ?? out of Jasper there are a couple of <10mph switchbacks that almost did me in. This bike is big and heavy and needs to be in 1st as I found out. No low end torque or not like the VTX. I just barely got it in 1st before it stalled but had to cross the center line doing that...yikes

BTW HMD link looked really strong. good looking welds and gusseted (is that a word) in areas that might need the extra strength.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts