Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone use these? i bought some last night , they screw on as a valve stem cap and have a preset psi. if they fall below they go from green to red.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,235 Posts
I have never found any for our air pressure.
Where did you find them. They might work pretty good

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got a set of 4 at walmart for. $5 they are for. 36 psi they also have them for 32. with the ct i am running 36-38psi and if it drops below 31 it will change to red , easy enough to glance at pre ride i figured. and as of now i just have it on the rear.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you tried them? this is why i posted, anyone tried them and had troubles? ive seen and heard of the tire pressure monitor setups, how is this different?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well your not really saying much either though. did you try the slime ones or others ? and for those running the monitoring systems how do they work, its a valve cap that screws on right?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Well your not really saying much either though. did you try the slime ones or others ? and for those running the monitoring systems how do they work, its a valve cap that screws on right?

The Valve Cap Screws on and has to be screwed in tight to get the PSI of the Tire .. What happens with a Tire Gauge if just slightly loose checking the tire? It leaks out air .. The more expensive monitoring system with a seperate source is far more reliable but cost a lot more money as well ..

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes i see that , the monitoring setups are just a sensor in the cap correct? i can see how they would be more reliable.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
No Worries .. Just trying to pass on a bad experience I had with them .. They were fine when the Highway was smooth but when got a back road with lots of bumps and snags all of a sudden realized something was wrong and my rear tire was almost flat .. Good thing carry a portable slime compressor which is no fun doing by yourself on a lonely slanted road ..

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gotcha, thanks for your input!! i have a small compressor i carry in my bag also.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I strongly advise against those variety of caps. If they're the ones I'm thinking of, they're made of inexpensive plastic which contains several potential fail points. I have seen them fail repeatedly over the years, occasionally resulting in run-flat damage requiring tire replacement.

I'm not even a fan of computerized TPMS. There is no adequate replacement for checking your own tire pressure.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no i still plan to check it frequently, but with the run flat car tire having such stiff sidewalls i thought it would be nice to have an indicator since you wont see that its flat. the front yes, rear i dont think so.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Tried them. Will never use them, again. Could never get them to stay screwed on! Kept getting loose and losing air. Then, a couple years ago, read of a scooter rider who lost the tip of her monitor on the front wheel at speed. Do not remember why, but something hit it from the roadway, evidently. Result was sudden loss of air and she went down, hard. Not risks I wish to take.
Jim

·
Registered
608 Posts
anyone use these? i bought some last night , they screw on as a valve stem cap and have a preset psi. if they fall below they go from green to red.

I haven't used them. But I did use the valve caps with led lights that flash if the pressure drops below a specified psi. And they worked great but because they have a battery in them they are heavy and thew the wheel balance off.

Nice to be able to look at the wheel and know if the tire pressure is low.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
even 36 is too low anyway.....regular pressure check keeps them spot on and you'll get maximum life out of your tyres.
For the cost of tyres and the mileage you get out of them , it pays the check regular to maximise every facet of their performance against your wallet.
I've just bought myself a good accurate tyre gauge.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
with the car tire on the back im running 36 in it currently. and like i said i do check my tires often, but with this tire if it is low by chance it may not be visible due to the run flat design. i do not check my tires daily, probably every other week since i ride daily so an indicator saying that its low just in case i pick something up is what i was after.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
with the car tire on the back im running 36 in it currently. and like i said i do check my tires often, but with this tire if it is low by chance it may not be visible due to the run flat design. i do not check my tires daily, probably every other week since i ride daily so an indicator saying that its low just in case i pick something up is what i was after.

ok cool I missed the car tyre bit...you got no worries about wear or cost..........not my cup of tea though personally

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ive been told i should get the best wear at 35 psi, and for the $190 i paid for it it will last as long as 3 of the last rear i had on. so its a savingsof approx 380$ for me

1 - 19 of 19 Posts