Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday evening, I was pulling out of the American Legion I heard a tick, tick, tick, like a rock was stuck in the tread of the front tire. Got a few miles down the road and the noise hadn’t gone away so I stopped to check the tire. Right in the center of the tread was an American flag lapel pin with the “pin” part stuck in the tire. Pulled it out and put some spit on it… several times. Took about 10 seconds for a small bubble to appear and pop. Damn. Took the bike home and parked it.

Sunday afternoon (36 hrs?) I checked the tire. 2lbs low, but it has been a couple of weeks since I added air. So, I would expect it to be a pound or two down. Put soapy water on the tire and for the life of me I could not find the leak.

So, here is my question. What would you do to repair this?

I know a patch from the inside is the best repair for a nail or similar hole. But it seems like way overkill for such a small leak. Plus the cost to have one put in a tire that’s already half worn makes it not economically feasible as the labor is about the cost of a new tire. I’d just buy a new a new tire before I paid for the patch install. Seems like a waste of $$$.

A plug seems like over kill for such a small hole, which cause more damage to the tire just to get the plug in. And then the hole would deserve a patch.

Slime…. Seems like the perfect solution here. Cheap, easy, and I would think it would seal this kind of puncture easily. But as I understand this makes a huge mess on the inside of the rim, and can cause strange wear on the tire due to balancing problems.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
483 Posts
That's tough.

The motorcycle shops I've asked all refuse to patch a motorcycle tire. That is best but you may run into the same issue.

Slime would be a good insurance I would think. As the tire wears more the more air could escape. The Slime should stop it. From what I've read the cleanup isn't bad but I don't know personally. I have Slime on both bikes but have never used it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Most of the plugs are intended for temporary use, however I have had one hold in there for a while, it was dead center in the tire. The plugs installed from inside are much better and I ran a tire to the end of its life with an interior plug and no issues. The challenge of course is that you only have two tires and any hole includes the possibility of rapid depressure at the wrong time. Since your tire is half way done I would opt for a new set. Are they also the original tires?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not original, 3rd or 4th set... can't remember.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Ride-on might be a better alternative to Slime as its a balancer too. But tire guys hate it cuz it gets all over the insides of the rim and has to be cleaned off. Same with Slime.

·
13,003 Posts
Ride-on is the way to go forsure. It seals the tire and when you dismount it the ride on is stuck to the center of the tire. Most bike shops will charge extra if you have slim.
If it were me I would put on a new tire. There is nothing worse then having a front tire blow out on you. Its the quickest way to crash.
Plenty of bike shops sell ride on

Tire Sealant | Tire Protection System - Ride-On

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
We wont plug or patch.

Tires with slime or any of that stuff in them sucks, especially if the owner does not tell us and the tech pulls the valve stem out before they break the bead and that stuff comes shooting out.

ATV tires seem to be the biggest issue, soon as that bead breaks..its covers the tech, the tire machine and about five feet in two directions....

I say don't use slime or any of that junk.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If it's that small, go to a bicycle shop & get their tubeless tire schtuff (like Stan's brand). It isn't all lumpy like slime. Consistency is more like a powder in a liquid. Cleans up easily.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
I started to reply with detailed info on my history with flat repairs but it was getting way too long so let me just say that from my sport bikes to my Hammer I have used plugs and ridden to the end of the tire tread life them. I keep a small pump/plug kit handy with me at all times after lessons learned.
I won't hesitate to plug a tire and ride on.

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Any feedback on mushroom plugs? They look be more secure than the regular string plugs.
I bought a mushroom plug kit in February. BMW use to have them in their tool kit when you bought a BMW. I talked to a repairmen that is over the repair shop at the Harley shop here. He said he has always plugged and road his tires until the are wore out. They guy is 60 and been riding for over 40 years. He suggested the mushroom plugs. The kit I got, says no glue needed. I have yet to use one.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I think I am confused. I thought that mushroom plugs could only be installed by removing the wheel/tire from the bike and then removing the tire from the wheel. In other words, they are only installed from inside the tire.

I have plugged one motorcycle tire and did so with the straight (not mushroom) plugs and it went great. Still riding on it without a problem many miles later.

The mushroom plugs are better but if (big if) they have to be installed from the inside of the tire, they are not worth the extra effort since the straight plugs work fine. If the mushroom plugs can be installed from outside of the tire and are not significantly more hassle than the straight plugs, go with the mushroom plug.

·
Registered
282 Posts
We wont plug or patch.

Tires with slime or any of that stuff in them sucks, especially if the owner does not tell us and the tech pulls the valve stem out before they break the bead and that stuff comes shooting out.

ATV tires seem to be the biggest issue, soon as that bead breaks..its covers the tech, the tire machine and about five feet in two directions....

I say don't use slime or any of that junk.
I've used Ride-On for years. So does the local bike shop. And, I change my own tires. It does not spray out the valve stem, and stays on the inside of the tire. Not much mess removing the tire. It would be perfect for this small poke! IMO-,,,,

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for everyone's input.

So this morning the tire was still 2 pounds down... same as Sunday. Not even a detectable leak at this point. I have opted for the Ride-On stuff, $12.80 on Amazon. Just insurance against it leaking in the future (at the worst possible moment), and so I can get a full life out of the tire.

·
13,003 Posts
I wonder what you guys have for tire gauge. The one that comes with the bike is junk. It was in my tool kit. I bought a gauge from auto store. I compared it to my shock pump gauge. Both read the same amount.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Because I have 90 degree valves on my XR (thank goodness) I have a gauge like this with a straight connection. It holds the reading until the release button in pressed. Works great on the cage too.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00070KA5I/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stppvp_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3467859002&pd_rd_wg=5LvKi&pf_rd_r=MRHDXM6GBAHTVJ84Z5B2&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B00070KA5I&pd_rd_w=SqBUx&pf_rd_i=tire+air+gauge&pd_rd_r=3dc36453-c3b2-4d4c-825e-3a39b6941e19&ie=UTF8&qid=1522198885&sr=3[/ame]

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder what you guys have for tire gauge. The one that comes with the bike is junk. It was in my tool kit. I bought a gauge from auto store. I compared it to my shock pump gauge. Both read the same amount.
I have digital gauge from I got from Autozone. It uses AAA batteries, which I like because they are easy to replace. I have compared it against a few manual gauges and it is spot on.

By the way, still only 2 pounds down this AM, I rode in to work.

·
13,003 Posts
BeoBob

all tires will lose air. Its just how much and how long it takes. My vision was sitting in the garage since November. When I put it away it had 40 psi in it. Now it has 30 psi. Does your rear tire loose air

1 - 20 of 21 Posts