Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I saw one in person a few weeks ago, It was raining and he was wet.
It's basically a car in my opinion. GM motor, you sit in it. A convertable but no top available.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
You can put lipstick on it and its still,-well you know.
I doubt calling it anything you can think of will help sales other than from a novelty standpoint.

·
Registered
105 Posts
They can't call it a car because it doesn't have any of the Government required:rolleyes: safety equipment. Like air bags, side impact rails in the door panels, and the list goes on. So it needs to be classified as a motorcycle just to get it on the road. And states that require the use of helmets, guess what, they must be worn in the slingshot./

But I could buy a used MG that is just as much of a death trap and register that as a car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I thought I would like one until I got to see one...There is almost zero storage. The two compartments behind the seats are it and they are not very big. The local dealer said they were working on a roof rack system, thats what I want, one of those plastic turtle travel packs every soccer mom has on their minivan on the way to the beach strapped to my Slingshot...

No thanks.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I've only seen one and it looked silly to see two guys driving (not riding) with helmets. I guess I could drive my wife's Z3 with the top down and wear my helmet pretending I'm in a slingshot. I'd Forget the 40 year old mg death trap comparison. (it has to be close to that since the MG was made). Why not just buy a Miata and have the same effect with out wearing a helmet to drive it.

I may be wrong, but I don't see these being huge sellers. I can't believe they sold this bill of goods to the BOD's. But maybe they don't need their approval for new projects.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
"Silly" pretty much sums it up.
They're selling just fine though and that will continue for awhile I imagine. Someday though new will wear off but silly will always be silly.

As far as the gummint of Tejas decreeing what is what... oh yeah, I already covered silly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've only seen one and it looked silly to see two guys driving (not riding) with helmets. I guess I could drive my wife's Z3 with the top down and wear my helmet pretending I'm in a slingshot. I'd Forget the 40 year old mg death trap comparison. (it has to be close to that since the MG was made). Why not just buy a Miata and have the same effect with out wearing a helmet to drive it.

I may be wrong, but I don't see these being huge sellers. I can't believe they sold this bill of goods to the BOD's. But maybe they don't need their approval for new projects.
I would probably never even consider one, but if I did the helmet would be the deal breaker. I live in MA so we are forced to wear one. I think I'd rather be seen in a rusted out MG than in a slingshot wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Polaris has done it again! The last time they made such a terrible mistake was when they built the Vision in 2007. Interestingly, they sell and have for 8 years now. Whodda thunk? The famous Kingpin didn't last that long in the lineup.

I think it is great that Polaris has the balls to dare to be different and build something that is outside of the proverbial box. cheers

·
Registered
222 Posts
They may not sell that well in Texas, except for maybe Travis county. They'll do well here in So Cal. My reasoning is this: A vehicle classified as a motorcycle is not required to undergo emissions testing to register or renew the tags. Cars- up to 30yrs old- must undergo the emissions testing process every year or two (depending on the state). This process is costly and can lead to very costly repairs to maintain conformity with the regulations. I know Travis is one of the few counties that does stringent testing in Texas. Here in Cali we have the most draconian emissions regs in the country. So the Slingshot can save hundreds of dollars over just the course of the loan payments. Plus motorcycles (even with 3-wheels) are cheaper to insure.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bottom line with these machines are fun factory and $$ for toys.

From what I've read, they are fun to ride/drive. Not too keen on having to wear a helmet though!

I've had an up close look and the plastic is a big turnoff for me. I understand the reasoning but the engineering for longevity is not part of the build.

It is not a car, motorcycle, or boat(which is what TX needs), IT is TOY.

If you got the dough, you have to decide whether to invest in a slingshot, or with a little more cash, a passenger vehicle or another bike.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I've had an up close look and the plastic is a big turnoff for me. I understand the reasoning but the engineering for longevity is not part of the build.
I have a car that's 20 years old with plastic front fenders. Guess what part of the car doesn't have holes in it and pieces of the lower body missing. That's right, the plastic fenders.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I have a car that's 20 years old with plastic front fenders. Guess what part of the car doesn't have holes in it and pieces of the lower body missing. That's right, the plastic fenders.
I would have to agree. Just because it's plastic doesn't automatically mean it won't last. Saturn cars from 20 years ago with plastic fenders are still decent unlike my 13-y/o truck where the fenders are rusting out already...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Scratches in plastic doesnt remove paint, no rust and dent resistant,,,,but if you hit it good enough she will bust. Replacement panels dont require paint...so there is some good to the plastics.

Can-Am's are the same way.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dill said:

I've had an up close look and the plastic is a big turnoff for me. < period
then dill said: :cool:
I understand the reasoning but the engineering for longevity is not part of the build.
Where did dill say plastic will not last? Huh? it's a turnoff but will last longer than all ya'll ... however, will the slangshot last? who in the year 2025 will be on a slingshot forum talking about oil, how to check it, belt, the lloyds putridification induction coil, the corbin plastic butt fittin seat with a place for your dog, Dill's all purpose plastic conditioner and purtifying solution and whisky mixer.

You can get one in orange and red.
The Slingshot® SL LE has a U.S. MSRP of only $24,999.

Carry a puppy and it becomes a chick magnet. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts