Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Where and how do you mount GPS/smartphone without loosing your cool?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Are you serious?.....turned off inside your jacket would be cool, real cool.
What's the world coming to......

·
13,003 Posts
if you don't have insurance on your phone make sure you have a safety strap on it

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Some RAM and Similar Products

Where and how do you mount GPS/smartphone without loosing your cool?

I have an XCT, but this same stuff would work for the High Ball:

1) A RAM or RAM-compaticle handlebar or mirror-stalk RAM-ball holder.

- Here's a mirror-stalk mount, from RAM itself: RAM Motorcycle Base with 9mm Hole and 1" Ball Unpackaged - RAM-B-272U | RAM Mounts

- Here's my favorite handlebar mount, from a company called Mounting Innovations: Chrome Handlebar Mount . That's available in black (thanks to me -- I suggested it to the company, and then bought two) or chrome. See their listings at RAM Bases & Balls

That product is extremely classy looking, and rock-solid. It's way better looking than the equivalent RAM product, e.g., Search for RAM-B-231-1U - Page 1

2) A RAM ball-to-ball extension.

These come in 2", 3", and 6" lengths (and maybe more). I call them extensions, but RAM calls them double socket arms. Go to RAM's site, RAM Mounts - Mobile Mounting Solutions, and do a search on double socket arms, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

3) A cradle.

- RAM sells cradles that are specific to a particular phone, without a case. Search their site. Similarly, in the old days, I used a cradle that was specific to my old Garmin Nuvi 200: RAM Cradle for the Garmin nuvi 200, 205, 250, 255, 260, 265T & 270 Unpackaged - RAM-HOL-GA24U | RAM Mounts . That type of cradle is made of some tough plastic-like material, the device snaps in, and in many years of riding I never had the GPS fall out. That same sort of thing is available for many phone models.

- RAM now also sells a product called the X-Grip, in a few sizes. I believe this is the one I have: RAM Universal X-Grip® Cell/iPhone Cradle Unpackaged - RAM-HOL-UN7BU | RAM Mounts

Those X-Grips are a fine product, and can accommodate a phone by itself or a phone in a case. I've used my for my iPhone6 in GPS mode with no problem at all -- it holds it just fine for potholes, even if you wouldn't use it for motocross riding.

If you get an X-Grip: A) before you use it, pull off the rubber bumpers, put some superglue on the inside of them, and stick them back on; B) make sure you place the phone so that its back rests against the circular hub, i.e., all the way back, so it's not just floating in air, held by the four bumpers. A fine product, and it won't become obsolete when you get a new phone.

There are a few other companies that make similar spring-loaded products, but I don't have any experience with them.

4) You get RAM products all over the place, e.g., Amazon, motorcycle parts stores, etc. Pick a place you like. I have their extensions, the X-Grip, one of the Tough Claws, some camera-tripod mounts, a cup-holder, etc., etc.

5) On the Vee Oh Gee forum, there was a recent thread on RAM mounts (where I made similar comments), and which has some nice pics from other folks, too. That thread was started on March 4, 2017, and is in the XC/XCT sub-forum.

6) If you're running a phone-as-GPS all day, the GPS functioning will do a number on batteries. So powering the phone -- cigarette-lighter-style sockets, USB sockets, etc., and where you might mount them -- is another topic for discussion.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Have a friend who can personally speak to this mount.

Ask him how he felt when his less than month old, not exactly inexpensive I-Phone left that same mount when he hit a bump on I-78 and the last image of it he had was it doing a magnificent starburst as it hit the pavement.

I'm with the RAM mount folks. Has a much more secure grip on the phone.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Have a friend who can personally speak to this mount.

Ask him how he felt when his less than month old, not exactly inexpensive I-Phone left that same mount when he hit a bump on I-78 and the last image of it he had was it doing a magnificent starburst as it hit the pavement.

I'm with the RAM mount folks. Has a much more secure grip on the phone.
I'm a little confused here, Scabby. The mount that @Tony.v linked to -- the one at Amazon -- is a genuine RAM X-Grip mount, same one that I use: RAM Universal X-Grip® Cell/iPhone Cradle Unpackaged - RAM-HOL-UN7BU | RAM Mounts

Note that since I bought mine (and I forget where, but it's been a while), RAM and the resellers are now including a stretchy tethering thingy. You can see it in use in the video on that RAM page.

I wonder if the problem occurred because a rubber bumper came off, or the phone wasn't pushed all the way back (two things I discussed earlier). In any case, the new tether should solve that, or it was a hell of a bump.

No Springs?

Now, if anyone wants to take springs completely out of the picture, another mount I have is from RetiCAM, their Smartphone Tripod Mount. Take a look at it, on this page at their site:

RetiCAM® Smartphone Tripod Mount - Metal Universal Smartphone Tripod Adapter - XL Size, Black

This is a robust aluminum mount, with rubber-padded V grooves, and with a thumbwheel-operated screw. Kind of like putting something in a soft-jawed vise. This is about as solid as things get, IMHO, especially if you don't use a case.

The RetiCAM has a standard 1/4" female threaded area on the bottom, the kind used by cameras, etc., for tripod mounting. You could use this in conjunction with RAM products for cameras, such as this one: RAM 1" Ball with 1/4-20 Stud for Cameras, Video & Camcorders Unpackaged - RAP-B-366U | RAM Mounts

Then, add an extension, and the Mounting Innovations base (see earlier post), and you'd be all set.

(I use the RetiCAM to mount a phone, occasionally, inside a car, as I have various camera swivel gizmos to achieve the positioning I want for certain videos, when the whole thing is mounted with a robust windshield suction cup.)

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I use the X-Grip on my XCT. It's very secure and stand up well to bumps/vibration/shaking, etc.

·
13,003 Posts
You must have one great phone. I can't even read mine in the sun light

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
You must have one great phone. I can't even read mine in the sun light
VJ: you know most smartphones have a brightness control? You have yours turned all the way up, when using it outside (as a GPS on a bike, for instance)?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm a little confused here, Scabby. The mount that @Tony.v linked to -- the one at Amazon -- is a genuine RAM X-Grip mount, same one that I use: RAM Universal X-Grip® Cell/iPhone Cradle Unpackaged - RAM-HOL-UN7BU | RAM Mounts

Note that since I bought mine (and I forget where, but it's been a while), RAM and the resellers are now including a stretchy tethering thingy. You can see it in use in the video on that RAM page...
Sorry for the confusion, it was the RAM X-Grip but was before it was available with the rubber tether. I was referring to THIS holder. Know a couple of riders who own this unit and it seems to have a more secure grip on the phone.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Any charging solutions out there?

There are a bunch of panel-mounted USB and other power solutions, but since we're in the High-Ball sub-forum, those don't apply here to a bike without a fairing or big dash.

OTOH, there are not so many elegant solutions for bikes with no fairings. The handlebar solutions are both more limited and often pretty expensive.

For instance, Powerlet makes something they call "Handlebar Outlet with Gadget Mount": Powerbar Plus 7/8" To 1" Black Anodized w/ RAM Ball - Powerlet Products . It looks very slick, and includes a standard RAM mounting ball ... but it goes for a whopping US$150! (I have a bunch of Powerlet products. Their stuff is high quality, but I've never spent that kind of money on a plug.)

I'm also aware that there are other handlebar mounts like that, only with cigarette-lighter-style outlets. Powerlet sells one (expensive), and a search will probably turn up a lot of other vendors. OTOH, I haven't seen any that also nicely incorporate a RAM ball like that.

3BR Powersports makes some quality products. I have one of their panel-mounted USB outlets on my XCT (and one on the shelf, waiting for installation in my other bike), and I also have their GoPro case (which I believe is the only such case that maintains it rain-proof nature while one of their charging cables is in use and hooked up to it).

3BR makes a series of products called "Red Band™ Smartphone Charging Cables"; see https://www.3brpowersports.com/products_Red_Band_USB.php . These don't terminate in a handlebar clamp, so one solution is to keep in place on a handlebar using a cable-tie or something like that. 3BR is also on the expensive side but, as I say, I think they make quality stuff.

RAM sells a product called "GDS® 10-50V DC to 5V DC Step Down Converter Charger with Female USB Type A Connector"; see GDS® 10-50V DC to 5V DC Step Down Converter Charger with Female USB Type A Connector - RAM-GDS-CHARGE-V2 | RAM Mounts . This is only $18.49, and I think you can find this elsewhere, too, i.e., I don't think RAM actually makes this.

Like the 3BR, you would have to zip-tie this someplace near a handlebar-mounted phone, etc., because it doesn't terminate in some handlebar mount. I imagine an eBay or Amazon search would also turn up additional similar products from other vendors.

Keep in mind that when mounting any USB power source -- or plugging in a USB converter into a lighter-style socket -- my recommendation (and, more significantly, 3BR's) is that it is on a switched circuit, i.e., "on" only when the ignition is on. USB ports incorporate a tiny transformer that is consuming power even when a device is not plugged into it. I started a thread on this parasitic-draw topic a couple of years ago; some people with unswitched USB ports didn't have any problem, but some did. My panel USB ports are all switched-only.

This the sort of thing you were wondering about?

I haven't had an unfaired bike in a number of years, so hopefully some High-Ball owners and others will chime in here, with actual solutions they use for charging.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts