Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an odd question for you. I found basically a brand new 2012 XC that has a salvage title because it has smoke damage. From what I can see, the bike appears to be in perfect shape and only has 200 miles on it. Could save over $5000 by buying it, but I'm just concerned that it will smell like smoke forever if the insurance company totaled it. I would think if you washed it good, let it air out and maybe put some baking soda in the saddle bags you could get rid of the smell. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
red xc from polaris dealer in Tulsa right.well some dude bought all the bikes from there... anyway..or thats where the bike was in a fire,,is that the bike.? My buddy and I looked at it last week. If thats the bike its sweet no damage at all..no water no smoke no melted wires. It was in teh frt of the store and teh fire was in the rear parts dept. I even talked to one of the cops that ran the fire and he said the bike where fine..

THE BAD THING..salvage title..trying to get insurance on it even if you geta good deal when you drive it off the place no warranty and salvage title no full coverage your just rollin the dice..I bet you would never have trouble with it but then again you never know..

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Here is an odd question for you. I found basically a brand new 2012 XC that has a salvage title because it has smoke damage. From what I can see, the bike appears to be in perfect shape and only has 200 miles on it. Could save over $5000 by buying it, but I'm just concerned that it will smell like smoke forever if the insurance company totaled it. I would think if you washed it good, let it air out and maybe put some baking soda in the saddle bags you could get rid of the smell. Any thoughts?
Where there is smoke, there was fire...and water..and melted wires and ...just make CERTAIN you inspect the bike yourself IN PERSON. If it as "totaled" by the insurance company, there HAS to be a reason other than just "smelling like smoke"

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I had a bike in a shop when it caught fire. They too had insurance comp them for their inventory simply because there may have been some smoke in a room where no fire existed. I got comped for my bike too.

The insurance sold at least part of the inventory to some guy in Kansas as I saw one of the smoke damaged bike's I liked being advertised on E-bay.

Anyway, I went to the shop shortly after the fire and the showroom stuff looked undamaged. I guess because they can't tell what kind of damage the chemicals in the smoke might do to the bikes over time, they can't be sold as new. Me, I'd snatch one up in a heartbeat for a $5 discount!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
red xc from polaris dealer in Tulsa right.well some dude bought all the bikes from there... anyway..or thats where the bike was in a fire,,is that the bike.? My buddy and I looked at it last week. If thats the bike its sweet no damage at all..no water no smoke no melted wires. It was in teh frt of the store and teh fire was in the rear parts dept. I even talked to one of the cops that ran the fire and he said the bike where fine..

THE BAD THING..salvage title..trying to get insurance on it even if you geta good deal when you drive it off the place no warranty and salvage title no full coverage your just rollin the dice..I bet you would never have trouble with it but then again you never know..
Hey Okie Hoss. I think this is the same bike. It was on Ebay and the seller is Sooner Surplus out of Muskogee, OK. Looks perfect. Never been titled and has 200 miles. For the right price I would take a gamble. They had a buy it now price on Ebay and it wasn't quite low enough for me yet since I'd have a 7 1/2 hr drive to get it and I have to talk the wife into it yet. :)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Register in a state that doesn't do salvage titles and you get a clean title. It's not the most ethical way but there are quite a few people in south GA that used to take cars down to FL and title them clean so they could take them back and sell them.

·
13,038 Posts
Check with your state and see if you can get a clean title.
If you can't think twice cops will pull you over more to see the bike is legal equipped.

Seat and rubber might hold the smoke smell. Metal and plastic I wouldn't think would hold the smell. You can do a search for a soap that washes away smoke damage.
Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts