·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eight years without a cigarette.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Good for you! With today's cigarette costs you musta saved yourself a freakin' fortune! When I quit, I went to the gum, was addicted to that crap for 2 years :rolleyes:, then went on the patch to get off the gum :ltr:

All in all took me about 2 and a half years to quit.. That was 13 years ago..

Don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs .. I do swear like sailor though :D

·
Registered
640 Posts
Nice. I quit in 2004 started back up in 2010.. Quit again in Aug of last year started in Dec again. Quit again on the 2nd of Feb Hopefully for the last time.My problem is I like to have a cigar once in awhile and it roped me back in.So now Ill just have my cigars when Mags and I do our NH runs

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
78 years for me.:)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Congratulations to all of you. My Mom died of of COPD due to 50 years of smoking. It is a sad existence that made her last years pretty tough...

I disagree with the adage that its never too late to quit. Sometimes it is too late. Mom quit 10 years before she died....It probably would not have made a huge amount of difference had she quit even 5 years earlier...at some point the damage is done. Now, I'm glad she quit when she did, but the damage had been done and her fate was sealed with the disease.

I'm not an expert on emphysema or COPD just because my Mom had it...But I also worked in the medical field for over 40 years and saw many, MANY people die because of smoking. The word SMOTHER was used often by my patients...and the PANIC you would see on their faces due to lack of air was more terrifying than any horror show you have ever seen. I actually saw patients "pawing" at the air to try and breathe easier. It truly is a debilitating disease.

So if you quit...I can assure you that your family and friends will be happy. I know it's an addiction, I'm not belittling or minimizing the struggle it is quit. If you are able to quit, consider yourself AND your family BLESSED.

Just quit. Quit now.

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Eight years without a cigarette.
Congrats mate! Fourteen years for me now. Switched to chew for a year then used the gum, patch, and lozenges. The gum went first because it made my jaw sore. Then the patch after about a week. Used the lozenges for another 3 weeks as I cut back on them every day till I was down to 3 a day then quit altogether. I think the lozenges worked best for me because I was able to 'park' it in the same spot I had parked the chew. By switching to chew I was able to get rid of the habit of actual smoking, carrying a lighter, needing to find the time and place to smoke, etc. I chewed just enough to satisfy the cravings. Most people didn't even know I was chewing. I would just get rid of it before lunch, put another pinch in after lunch, and that would get me through till later in the afternoon.

At the time I figured I gave myself a $200 a month raise by quitting the smokes. Nowadays that might be as much as $400. I was a 2 pack a day guy.

Imagine what a person could do with an extra $400 in their pocket every month! New bike? New car? Home addition? Sounds better than literally lighting it on fire and burning it up but that is a personal choice everyone has to make.

I still go to places where people are smoking. It bothered me some at different times but not anymore. I haven't an urge in so long I can't remember the last time. It's completely off my radar now other than I do wish those I care about would find the strength and will to give them up too for their own sake. For some people, depending on their DNA, it's a slow suicide and for others it doesn't seem to really matter other than the financial loss of course.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm just in the process right now. I've been smoking for 35 years...tried the patches, gum, pills with no luck in the past. I decided to give these new electronic cigarettes with nicotine in the juice and by golly I have'nt had a dart since Monday and it doesnt bother me a bit.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I smoked in High school for a short time , just to be one of the fella's , I admit it was gross . One day I had a cold and I coughed up a nice PHLEM DOLLUP , and it had blood in it . I threw my remaining smokes out the window never to smoke again . I would rather die in any way other then gasping for air , hell , I try to avoid even breathing dust if I can help it .

·
Registered
632 Posts
I quit smoking back in 1970.. Haven't had one since... Still get the argue though, Like when I'm stopped at a light and the guy in front is sucking on a cigarette and blowing smoke back, I want to grab it from him a take a drag.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm just in the process right now. I've been smoking for 35 years...tried the patches, gum, pills with no luck in the past. I decided to give these new electronic cigarettes with nicotine in the juice and by golly I have'nt had a dart since Monday and it doesnt bother me a bit.
16 months for me...thumb up
I use the e-cigs,too....thumb up

·
Registered
12,202 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Been smoking steady since I was 14. I'm now 68 and show no signs of damage. Last checkup showed everything to be in good condition. I intend to quit....sometime. Did once about 15 years ago which lasted for 8 months. Tried the gum thing about a month ago, made me sick. Wife did the Laser treatment 5 years ago. First attempt failed after a few months ... then she went back and did it again 4 years ago and hasn't smoked since. That's the route I'll take this time ... when I decide to do it. Generally I can go 2 days on a single pack of 20. Working on reducing that ... slowly.

Kudos to those who have quit or are in the process.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I cold turkeyd cigarettes over 30 years ago. A few weeks after that I got tangled up with Skoal. I cold turkeyd Shoal about 10 years ago. Tobacco is bad ****.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Congrats guys, I never smoked but enjoyed my chew. I quit a few months ago, still crave it every now and then.

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Watched my across the street neighbor die of lung cancer and decided I can't ever let that happen to me, haven't looked back.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts