Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title implies, I heard a loud "crack" noise yesterday when downshifting for a traffic light and had a ton of free play in my clutch lever, cable snapped with just a few miles shy of 8000 on the bike. My buddy trailer-ed it back to my folk's home because it was closest to there. It's getting towed (for free) up to MOM's South tomorrow for a new cable under warranty. Made for a very long day in the sun yesterday.

Is this common with these bikes as I had lubricated the cable properly at correct intervals? I know its a wear out part but 8K miles seems a little low for that to happen.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
As the title implies, I heard a loud "crack" noise yesterday when downshifting for a traffic light and had a ton of free play in my clutch lever, cable snapped with just a few miles shy of 8000 on the bike. My buddy trailer-ed it back to my folk's home because it was closest to there. It's getting towed (for free) up to MOM's South tomorrow for a new cable under warranty. Made for a very long day in the sun yesterday.

Is this common with these bikes as I had lubricated the cable properly at correct intervals? I know its a wear out part but 8K miles seems a little low for that to happen.
My first cable snapped at about 19K on my 07 Jackpot.:(

·
Registered
236 Posts
5040 miles for me. I bought two save ur ride cables I'm running one and have the other in my bag. I'm going to run the one until it breaks then by a Barnett cable, I've got just over 1000 on it so far.

I smoothed out all the edges on the lever and I'm going to disconnect and lube it every 1000 miles.
I'll also always have a save ur ride cable with me, it sucks to have to carry one at all times but I'm not going to be stuck on the side of the road because of a snapped clutch cable again. 40 bucks is a small price to pay for the piece of mind.

Let us know what your mechanic has to say about it please, I'd like to know what they find or what they have to say about it. Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll definitely post what I find out after the dealer has had it. Also thanks for the save your ride idea. I might have to pick a couple of those up myself. Being stranded in the heat completely blows.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
i carry them in stock!

·
13,247 Posts
Go to Vic web sit on face book and tell them.
There is no need for a cable to break ever if they would put a eyelet on the lever end. With the eyelet you would get constant movement with no binding.
Its a shame that they don't look at getting it made right.
If it were me I would put a good amount of wheel bearing grease on the brass barrel

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a good idea. it can't hurt to mention it to them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's not the cable that needs to be lubed as since 2006 they are all teflon coated. The problem is with the rotation of the barrel at the lever. Friction causes the cable to flex back and forth until it breaks.

Remove the barrel from the lever, clean and lube with waterproof grease.
The newer models come with a teflon insert around the barrel at the lever end, an attempt to reduce problems.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
It's not the cable that needs to be lubed as since 2006 they are all teflon coated. The problem is with the rotation of the barrel at the lever. Friction causes the cable to flex back and forth until it breaks.

Remove the barrel from the lever, clean and lube with waterproof grease.
The newer models come with a teflon insert around the barrel at the lever end, an attempt to reduce problems.
Bingo!

The Teflon insert must be working because we hardly ever hear about a cable breaking on the new bikes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So to bump this to the top with an update...The dealer tried to warranty the cable but Polaris denied the claim starting it was...surprise , a wear & tear item. Dealer said they've seen that an awful lot despite lots of people having experiences like mine and other forum members (low mileage and the cable snaps). Decided to go ahead and let them repair it because I didn't feel like working on the bike right now, have been working a lot of overtime at work this week and just wanted it done with.

Total damage, 225 bucks. About 130 was for the cable itself, which I find ridiculous. Next time I will do it myself time permitting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So to bump this to the top with an update...The dealer tried to warranty the cable but Polaris denied the claim starting it was...surprise , a wear & tear item. Dealer said they've seen that an awful lot despite lots of people having experiences like mine and other forum members (low mileage and the cable snaps). Decided to go ahead and let them repair it because I didn't feel like working on the bike right now, have been working a lot of overtime at work this week and just wanted it done with.

Total damage, 225 bucks. About 130 was for the cable itself, which I find ridiculous. Next time I will do it myself time permitting.
Ebay $96 shipped OEM Victory

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ebay $96 shipped OEM Victory
Again, they were trying to warranty it and I honestly didn't have the time to fix it and needed the bike back in service. Figured the hell with it once it was there. Next time I'll be prepared and I'll do it myself.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Would be interesting to know if the new cable has the teflon insert around the barrel at the lever end.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been told it is supposed to as they are trying to eliminate the problem. We'll see when I pick it up today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ you guys need to file a complaint. If this is a problem Polaris needs to recall and fix it for free. You should get 50,000 miles on a cable. I never had one iota of a problem with a Harley clutch cable.
This is my thought, too. I currently own a HD with 30k on the clock..never had a problem and this is one area I've never heard another HD owner complain of this issue. Does Victory use a different design? I've also owned four or five metric bikes, none had this problem.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
sounds like LOW BID QUALITY, the supplier to Polaris low bid the dam thing and does not want to cover it. You guys need to file a claim with the government on this before someone gets killed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mine broke at 4500 miles!! The new cable i put in had the teflon sleeve lets see how long thats going to last! Its a shame when you spend $15 or $20 thousand on a bike and you have to worry about your cable!Wat a joke!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts