Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so what had happened was :devil ,I finally got my XCT back together. cleaned up, and took it for a ride. When i left my house everything was working right except my gear position indicator. It would blank out every time I pulled the clutch. Now my 10 didn't do that, but I figured maybe this is just one of this bikes quirks, or maybe I was just looking for issues. I went to a buddies house to meet up and go for a quick ride (my first ride on the new bike, and my first ride since my wreck, figured it would be a good little shakedown run). While we were there i noticed my brake light wasn't working. Alright, that's an issue, but its middle of the day, hell with it, I'm still going for a ride. So we take off and about a half mile down the road he pulls over, I have no headlight, or driving lights. Tried my high beams, nothing. Now the trigger wire for the Clearwaters is to a wire in the fairing that looks like a headlamp, but it isn't (factory HID), and the trigger wire for the wide open function on the Clearwaters is to the highbeam. I'm pretty sure the headlight problem is a melted trigger wire, but what would cause the brake light to not work. I am planning on tearing it apart today after I get off work. Any advice on what/where to start?

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
Impossible to know until you get in there and start checking connections. This does sound like a ground issue but it could be anything.

At least it isn't an intermittent issue; those are the worst. You should be able to track this down fairly quickly although I'm sure you aren't looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Impossible to know until you get in there and start checking connections. This does sound like a ground issue but it could be anything.

At least it isn't an intermittent issue; those are the worst. You should be able to track this down fairly quickly although I'm sure you aren't looking forward to it.
That Sucks HGN , as BBob stated I wouldn't look forward to it either ...

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
You are not screwed at all. The gear indicator blanks out because in 2011 they changed the way the bike figures out what gear it is in. When the clutch switch is engaged. It can not do the calculation. Brake lights are out because you blew the headlight fuse

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are not screwed at all. The gear indicator blanks out because in 2011 they changed the way the bike figures out what gear it is in. When the clutch switch is engaged. It can not do the calculation. Brake lights are out because you blew the headlight fuse
I love you Kevin, in a total bro-mance way, but i love you. i think im going to leave work early, go home and fix my buddin buddin :devil I figured the light was a fuse but the brake light was what had me worried.

Reactions: kevinx

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I took the lower cowl off, moved the wiring around, switched it on, and everything works. No fuse, nothing. I'm kinda puzzled.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
So I took the lower cowl off, moved the wiring around, switched it on, and everything works. No fuse, nothing. I'm kinda puzzled.
Adding a fuse block for your accessories will help with current events. Mine is located to the left of the battery (right side of bike) and mounted a support. Note that ground wires are attached to device separate from the battery ground terminal.

Attachments

·
13,262 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts