Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to go for a ride yesterday and got about a mile away from the house before it happened. I guess I am glad it didn't wait until I was a hour or two away, or yesterday would have been a long day.

Anyway, I ordered a SAV-UR-Ride repair kit, as I thought that would be a quick and cheap temporary fix. What cables do you guys recommend.

I was able to get it back to the house fairly quickly and since I couldn't ride I decided to go play cards. I end up losing so I have to add that cost to the cable. :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
Was going to go for a ride yesterday and got about a mile away from the house before it happened. I guess I am glad it didn't wait until I was a hour or two away, or yesterday would have been a long day.

Anyway, I ordered a SAV-UR-Ride repair kit, as I thought that would be a quick and cheap temporary fix. What cables do you guys recommend.

I was able to get it back to the house fairly quickly and since I couldn't ride I decided to go play cards. I end up losing so I have to add that cost to the cable. :mad:
I would buy an extra sav-ur-ride and leave the first one on as your new permanent. Just saying.;)

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
...I was able to get it back to the house fairly quickly and since I couldn't ride I decided to go play cards. I end up losing so I have to add that cost to the cable. :mad:
Doh!
I would buy an extra sav-ur-ride and leave the first one on as your new permanent. Just saying.;)
Good idea. That way you he won't be stuck losing money again while being forced to play cards. :ltr:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I did buy two. :) I figured even if I decide to get a new cable I figure keeping one as a spare is probably a good idea. Of coarse it will never break if I have a spare on me.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh BTW I was going to order them from you but when I placed the order it said out of stock. So I ended up getting from a shop on EBay. After I ordered I found that Witchdoctor carried them as well and it would have been a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the kit in today and just got through putting it on, that was pretty easy.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What steps were required to install?
Pull out old cable
take off clutch lever
Feed new wire through cable housing.
Attach at both ends.

The instructions are pretty easy to follow. You get everything you need except the tools.

The hardest part for me was getting the clutch lever lined back up and the pivot pin back in.

Also trimming the wire, I really didn't have a wire cutter big enough. So that took a few minutes.

Edit: Here is a PDF of the instructions

·
Registered
361 Posts
Save-Ur-Money and simply buy an emergency cable stop. Most breaks are at the lever, with the barrel end gone you now have the equivalent of a Save-UR-Ride in place without doing anything-all you need to do is put a cable stop on & adjust the cable length. They're cheap $3-$8 and take up almost no space. I have a couple of them in my both my bikes kits and so far only used one.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/520-389

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thanks for the instructions. I carry a SavUrRide, but haven't had to use it yet. Will review the tools again. My first broken clutch cable, i had the bike towed due to my inexperience.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Actually I did buy two. :) I figured even if I decide to get a new cable I figure keeping one as a spare is probably a good idea. Of coarse it will never break if I have a spare on me.
I hope that is your experience. But, I have used my sav-ur-ride several times. At 6 cables on my Pin, I think Noemtz is right, don't buy anymore expensive cable, and just use sav-ur-ride. I have been only using the sav-ur-ride till another one comes. Well at least that is what I did for the first three. Now when I see a used cable for sale, I buy them if they are under $30. A lot of people upgrade their cables or get longer ones to accommodate longer bars.

BTW, I have deburred both the handle and at the tranny. I am running a heavier clutch spring, but I don't hink that is the problem, as I know there are plenty of people running the heavier springs and have no cable problems.
Maybe it is the routing, but I haven't figured out a better routing.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
I replaced my clutch cable tonight the one on it was fraying at the lever so I figured it was time. I bought a Barnett a long time ago knowing from what I've read here it was only a matter of time. This clutch cable has a plastic? coating ever the cable so you can't see the wires at all. Is this a better way to go? Anybody use one of these? The Barnett number is 101-85-10003 but it looks like it was replaced with the 102- cable. This one is the HE (high efficiency) cable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How many Miles do you guys have on your bikes. Mostly City riding?
I have never had a Clutch cable go on me in 30 years.

Of course that could change today....

On my Yamaha I would have to remove pipes to get to the lower attachment. Not a Side of the road fix.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had only put about 5K on mine, but it had 34K or so total on the bike, bought it used. I got to thinking later, this happened about a month after I added 1.5" risers to my handlebars. I never did really check the cable adjustment after I put those on. I didn't notice any difference and there was some slack in the cable but I shoudl have looked at that. So I may have caused it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
How many Miles do you guys have on your bikes. Mostly City riding?
I have never had a Clutch cable go on me in 30 years.

Of course that could change today....
6K Total miles on Kingpin before cable break. Ran Honda CX500 from 30K to 42K without cable break, so it had never happened to me previously either.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had only put about 5K on mine, but it had 34K or so total on the bike, bought it used. I got to thinking later, this happened about a month after I added 1.5" risers to my handlebars. I never did really check the cable adjustment after I put those on. I didn't notice any difference and there was some slack in the cable but I shoudl have looked at that. So I may have caused it.
I wonder if that is a weak area on the VIcs. Because I read a lot of forums for different brands and never heard of Sav-a Cable until now. Certainly never heard of 5K cable breaks. That would really suck on a harley. Have to drain Trans fluid for a cleaner job.

Just inquiring because if these are going in 5K (of course you don't know how many were replaced previously) it may be worth carrying a spare.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Has this been fixed on newer bikes, or is it still happening?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wonder if that is a weak area on the VIcs. Because I read a lot of forums for different brands and never heard of Sav-a Cable until now. Certainly never heard of 5K cable breaks. That would really suck on a harley. Have to drain Trans fluid for a cleaner job.

Just inquiring because if these are going in 5K (of course you don't know how many were replaced previously) it may be worth carrying a spare.
I am about 95% sure mine was the original cable, but not 100%.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been riding three on emergency cables since my stock clutch cable broke (at the lever) . The SAV-UR-Ride repair kit lasted 1 ½ years, then I have been doing spare cables, six feet of stainless steel from a hardware store and cable stops, if it breaks it takes me 10 min and I’m on the road. I snap 1-2 cables a year at $1.25. If you want a stock cable go to e-bay, I just got a clutch cable of a 06 with 7300 miles (beware of high mile bike parts) for $9.95, lots of good parts off of part bikes on there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Anyone know the default length of the clutch cables? I added 2 inch extension bars, found that to be too short, and recently added longer risers as well. I had to take the cables out of the black wire holder to make it fit.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts