Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... after six weeks of waiting from dynojet I get an email today saying they can't find anything wrong with my PCV.

So.... now I have a bike that runs four minutes at a time and absolutely no idea why.

No vacuum leaks, no circuit breaker problems, no fault lights, no grounding issues, no fuel pump issues...... and no ideas.

Tonight I'll pulling everything off the bike including the cams and going back 100% stock. Well except the timing wheel since I killed the stock one to make a socket to turn the engine over.

If that doesn't fix the problem then I have no idea what I'm going to do with that bike.

I'm glad you guys are having better luck with your bikes than I am. This is the most unsatisfied I've been with a bike ever. Someone send me a wiring diagram for the bike. That's my last option is to just go through it piece by piece if making it stock doesn't fix it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you checked for spark when it shuts down. Or if there's fuel . Might be an electronic part heating up and shutting down. Cools off and works again. Just a thought

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to agree with VJ on this , pulling your cams for a cutting out / intermittent shutdown problem seem drastic to me .

Well I can't ride the bike with cams and no PCV. They're the only non stock part left on the bike. So in theory it will run stock.

Dynojet actually called me about an hour ago. They said they couldn't duplicate the problem but were sending me a completely new unit anyways. I was quite surprised.

So ill give it one more go with a new PCV. If that doesn't work then out come the cams and in comes a new Gold wing F6B

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm catching this thread on the tail side. Could you share a link to the beginning of the issue which shows what you've done to troubleshoot it. You say it runs for four minutes, so even after 4 mins of idling it still dies?

·
Administrator
5,974 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Have you tried to run it with the PCV removed? Letting it sit and idle without the PCV won't hurt it. I wouldn't try to ride it. If it doesn't shut down with the PCV removed then clearly the power commander I'd defective. The replacement should fix the problem and put you back on the road. Removing the cams is a bit drastic. I really do understand your frustration but all problems can be solved.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Please Please call Rylan Please
Look man, I know that's literally your response to everything. If it makes you feel better, I did call him so chill out and come up with something more useful than that.

He said he'd never seen anything like that but would go with with a bad PCV. I'm not surprised he's never seen anything like it. I've been riding and working on bikes since 1998 and I've never seen anything like it either. It's a super weird problem that's really making me mad and I hope it's just a bad PCV.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you tried to run it with the PCV removed? Letting it sit and idle without the PCV won't hurt it. I wouldn't try to ride it. If it doesn't shut down with the PCV removed then clearly the power commander I'd defective.
The only mods on the bike right now are the cams, timing wheel, and PCV. With the PCV removed it idles, drives, idles more etc to the thirty minute mark where I shut it down. So likely it's the PCV. I didn't bother to remove the wheel since I killed the stock one to make a sweet socket to turn my engine over during cam install. Cams are obviously installed right as the bike runs great..... four minutes at a time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The only mods on the bike right now are the cams, timing wheel, and PCV. With the PCV removed it idles, drives, idles more etc to the thirty minute mark where I shut it down. So likely it's the PCV. I didn't bother to remove the wheel since I killed the stock one to make a sweet socket to turn my engine over during cam install. Cams are obviously installed right as the bike runs great..... four minutes at a time.
Sounds like the new PCV should fix you right up. That's good news. You sounded like you were about to push your bike off of a cliff before. I do understand that feeling. Trust me I have been there before too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sounds like the new PCV should fix you right up. That's good news. You sounded like you were about to push your bike off of a cliff before. I do understand that feeling. Trust me I have been there before too.
I know this is a Victory forum and to most people here they're the "best bikes in the world" but I've never had as many problems with a bike as I have had with this Victory. I'm thoroughly unimpressed with both performance and quality. I just got done reading about a recall on bikes that have motors that seize up.... go Victory! I called the local Honda dealership today and set up an appointment for next week to look at/trade in for an F6B in case the PCV isn't the solution and I have to return it to stock. Only time will tell how this plays out. Honestly, I'd like to keep the Victory and have it fun to ride. I really don't care about the brand as long as it has good performance and reliability.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I' m not the guy to cheerlead for Vic. I' m unimpressed with fit and finish and there are odds and ends that make me go hmmm. Still what I got for what I paid is orders of magnitude beyond my expectations and I have a couple years doing this too.
If I go all up in a motorcycle and then the motorcycle doesn't' run for squat, you and I have different responses. Mine is not to blame the motorcycle but hey. That's just me.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Keep in mind , its not Victory's fault your PCV **** the bed , and Dynojet hamstringed you along in the repair/test phase . Probably took them 5 minutes to test it , but just couldn't be bothered to expedite the test while your sitting home stewing over the whole situation . They should have just sent you a new one right out and refurbished yours . If anyone is to blame on this one , its Dynojet , not your Victory . By rule I try not to be a MA Vic koolaid drinker .:D

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you're that disgusted with the bike you may never be happy with it. Put it back to stock, sell the PCV and parts separately and trade it in.

Hope your next ride treats you right.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
If you're that disgusted with the bike you may never be happy with it. Put it back to stock, sell the PCV and parts separately and trade it in.

:I agree: Agreed , keep in mind also , the grass isn't always greener on the other side . If I do something stupid or neglectful to my Vic , and it fails ... Its probably my fault . That goes for all other brands too .

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

It's definitely a possibility. Since it developed the stalling problem right after the cam install I haven't been able to pass final judgment. If the cams put its performance into the acceptable range then great. That's the best case scenario. Worst case is it either doesn't fix it or I am still unhappy with its performance and have to return it to stock to sell it.

We'll see. I like everything about the bike except it's engine/fuel setup. It really is the most comfortable bike I've ever had. Just doesn't have the drive train I like. Hopefully the PCV fixes everything and the cams make the bike acceptable.

I felt so bad on the ride home from Nebraska. My wife was smoking me on her Yamaha Warrior. Not what I was expecting........

1 - 20 of 27 Posts