Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is about your Cross Bike? I've been looking at posts for several months now as I'm considering the purchase of either a XR or XC bike. Prior to joining this forum, all the reviews I heard about the Victory brand of bike were excellent. After joining the Forum and reading the posts, there are some problems that the owners of their bike have seemed to have worked out. My problem is that I don't feel qualified like some of the membership to work on technical issues. So I would have to depend on a dealership to assist me. As we all know, that might not be so easy.

I currently own a Suzuki Volusia, 2004. I have had absolutely no problems with the bike, other than wear and tear items; brakes, tires and batteries. For those of you who have had more biking experience, owning several bikes, how does the Victory brand of bike rank with trouble free miles compared to the rest? Are there owners who have not had any issues with their bikes?

Thanks for any honest opinions you can provide.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No problems in my first 6000 miles - I've only had the bike for 8 months. I'm a shameless promoter of the Cross Roads with a Cross Roads Fairing. Makes a great bike. Less buffeting that a Cross Country. I did put on a Cross Country seat that I found used for $100. (better for my wife).

If you have to try to listen to music while riding - I never would (bad quality and a distraction) - then buy a Cross Country.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
If you can do basic maintenance you'll fit in just fine. For the most part all you'll have to do is keep the oil changed, and occassionally change the air filter/spark plugs/and tighten the belt.

Coming from carbed bikes and having to do jet changes / spark plug changes after moves with large altitude changes Victory is as easy to maintain as your lawn mower!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I am over 20,000 miles now on my CR and have had no problems - just changed the oil a few times and got a new pair of tires . Very good riding reliable machine cheers

·
Registered
554 Posts
Same no issues to speak of. There are more people without issues than with. You just hear more from those with issues.

·
Registered
693 Posts
In regards to the issues you've come across, don't worry. They always seem worse on forums. You can hit a forum for any bike and find the same thing. People who use forums, in general, tend to be a more picky bunch. Overall, you likely won't have any issues. The engine and tranny are rock solid.

For me, I have some pros/cons and these are purely from my perspective:

Pros: Excellent handling, especially for a large bagger. Sharp looks compared to any other bagger out there. Great power and overall performance. Tends to fit taller riders better (6' +). Massive storage. American made if that's something you concern yourself with.

Cons: Sounds like a very expensive sewing machine. Accessories are limited and expensive, though this trend will slowly start moving the other direction soon enough.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Been riding 60 years now and have owned many bikes, mostly Japanese. Never had a major anything go wrong and I did hundreds of thousands of miles of long distance touring.
Did a ton of research prior to buying my XR and when signing the papers, was asked if I wanted the extended warranty. I replied that according to what I read on the forums, I would be throwing money at you and he agreed. He said the only things we see these bikes in the shop for are routine maintenance and accessories.
To me, the difference between the two Cross bikes is that the XC is for those who are going to pack up and go touring for days or weeks, while the XR is for those whose rides are closer to home, but with an occasional multi day tour. I'm now in the latter group.
One advantage the XR has over the XC is a removable windscreen. Great in hot weather. I also appreciate less weight connected to the handle bars.
Be honest with yourself as to how you are going to utilize the bike and the choice should come easy. Either one is a fabulous bike. cheers thumb up

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
JJKJR, Can you tell us what problems you have read about that has you worried. Perhaps we could address some of those speciifc concerns. I general I think you'll find these to be great bikes.

There are certainly guys that have had problems and those problems get a lot of attention but keep in mind that for every one guy having a problem there are thousands who are not. The thousands don't get the attention the problems get in these forums.

These bikes do have their quirks and what I somethimes describe as attention to detail issues but nothing that takes away from the road mannors and reliability. I tend to gripe about some of these things once and a while but I would not hesitate to jump on a ride across the country this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
The X bikes, in my opinion, are designed with the idea of low maintenance needed.

Have you been able to determine if the dealership in your area has tech's worth their salt so you know your bike will get the correct maintenance when you bring it in to them? Is there one close enough to you or will you need to take it to an Independent bike shop that knows how to work on Vic's. Most bike shops seem a bit reluctant to work on them in my experience.

Oil changes are ridiculously simple on these bikes so really it's just a matter of checking belt alignment/tension, clutch cable adjustment (also super easy), and tire and brake pad changes.

Some initial changes might be needed like different handlebars for reach and a drivers and passenger back rest depending on what you get.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have to agree with everything that has been stated so far. I've only had mine since the end of January but the two types (XC & XR) offer enough different options to fit whatever your fancy might be. I had a Shadow Sabre that I traded which was also a great bike with never no problems but I have no regrets. If I had one complaint it would be long legs with a 36" inseam but I'm working on that problem and have pretty much found the cure for it. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have two dealers within 50 miles each of my home. A friend of mine just left one of them because of poor service work and the other has just gotten the Victory dealership. That dealer also sells other bikes. When I went to the dealer that just started selling Victorys they were extremely friendly but very obviously not very informed about the Victory bikes. I knew more from second hand knowledge reading posts on this forum than they did. I'm sure the knowledge will come over time.

I'm not necessarily concerned about anything specific with the bikes. I've read probably hundreds of posts concerning pipes, wind buffeting, speaker output, windshield heights and proper auto tune with upgrading exhaust/air filters. It just seems like these issues keep on repeating themselves in the posts. So are these issues that will be fixed over the years by Victory or are they being developed by well meaning owners working to try to improve design flaws on their own. I actually saw this a lot of this with Suzuki bike owners. Overall, these are most probably not issues that would reduce the bikes reliability but could be nuisance issues.

I am still not decided on which of the cross bikes is best for me. I do take long trips 3-4 times a year but most of all the other driving is local. Most probably that would put me into a XR bike with added luggage.

Thanks for the kind replies to my initial post. I certainly don't mean to be criticial of anyone who works on their own bike. I'm just trying to understand bit more about the cross bikes before I buy one.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I am still not decided on which of the cross bikes is best for me. I do take long trips 3-4 times a year but most of all the other driving is local. Most probably that would put me into a XR bike with added luggage.
Here's how I add luggage. I strap it to the combo Vic backrest & rack. Also have a Saddlemen S2600 for longer trips. This pic was taken on a four day outing.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Here's how I add luggage. I strap it to the combo Vic backrest & rack. Also have a Saddlemen S2600 for longer trips. This pic was taken on a four day outing.
Wow,
You pack a lot for a 4 day trip!
I fill one bag for me and if my wife comes, another for her. I usually put on the trunk just for the extra speakers and an easy place to store the helmets.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Damn the XC and the Victory factory tour truck

It was my local dealership's "Birthday bash" today and the factory truck was here with at least a dozen bikes.
I had been eyeballing the XC for a few weeks, and decided to hop on the crimson and silver beauty with about 5100 miles on the odom, so I knew it was broken in.
That bike was nothing like I expected. From just sitting on it in the showroom, I was thinking it would be heavy and handle way differently than my Kingpin. Wrong!! Bike seemed light, great balance, handled like a dream. I knew there was a reason I hadn't ridden one yet. Crap... because now I want one in a bad way.

Test rides were over a 17 mile run. Started off with 10 miles of Interstate, the rest was through town. I was in such awe of the bike during the highway run, I totally forgot about checking out the cruise control until we were at the bottom of the off ramp.
At 70 mph for several miles, I had no buffeting issues. My only issue was I'd like a fuzz more room between the floorboard and toe shifter for my boot, which the sales guy said was no problem, just move it a spline or two.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Wow,
You pack a lot for a 4 day trip!
I fill one bag for me and if my wife comes, another for her. I usually put on the trunk just for the extra speakers and an easy place to store the helmets.
I don't know where you live (you might put that in your profile) or how many miles you do per day, but here in the Northwet, you have to be ready for any eventuality in the weather, no matter what the season. I have left Portland in 105 degree heat (doesn't happen often) and rode through rain, hail and fog at the coast - the same day. We can get snow and/or sleet in the Cascade mountains. We have micro climates and elevation changes galore and all can be encountered in less than a day's ride.
My clothes and toiletries are in the rack bag, which comes into the motel with me, while tools, camera, emergency stuff and foul weather gear are in the side cases.
That four day trip involved major miles in Oregon, Idaho and Washington. It included mountains (three ranges), coast and deserts. If you don't pack as I do, you are either tougher than me, very inexperienced, or a fool. :confused::D

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have 3 k on my cross roads so far with no problems. The stuff you listed, pipes, buffeting, speakers, tuning. Those are more personalizations than flaws. I replaced my shield due to buffeting but if I rode into the wind and sat up it was fine, just not comfortable and wind comes from all directions. Evhaust and tuning is just one of those things some people do and some don't, and those who do all have a different idea. I have heard of no major problems, I am on my second victory and have been in the forums here and there since 07. Buy one, you won't regret it!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts