Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunno what Im getting into with this friggin XS650
(Well I do really $$$ it's just an expression of I shoulda known better, but suffering Victory withdrawal and thought another bike would fix me) grrrrrr thats my excuse!!!
this is the RANT section right??
bloody hell....try to help someone by getting thier bike running for em to sell.
End up with it myself...Soggy forks just part of it...

Fair enough to say I been spoilt by riding my Vegas last 4 years....jump on a lesser bike thats 37 years and full of defects blaH BLAH BLAH....Filthy oil, mag drain plugs covered in metal;
just dropped oil pickup strainer its broken (common really) dunno how long unfiltered crap been circulating.
Already into it ten hour running back and forth . plugs, fuel, tools, jump leads, battery, kicking, cranking, finding dodgy stuff (sump bungs done of by a gorilla on steroids and speed I reckon)
musta been 120 ft lbs plus!!! 18" breaker bar to crack em...
Fords had stuff all in em at least they have drain screws...refilled with correct amount of 10W synthetic fork oil plus 10 mls Moreys each leg...Still spongy as all faRK will bottom out easy and to ride around the carpark or block bike feels super heavy and a bit twisted (Yeah I am spoilt I know but this thing is woeful bordering on dangerous...
What am I getting into here....a friggin money and time pitt
OK thats my rantt...I could go on but will spare you the pain.
Ordered fork seals but deep down know it need new fork springs (Progressive + gold valves+ maybe bushes)
need to order sump pickup strainer from Mikes XS a great USA site for stuff XS650.

My main problem is I love these bikes but Ive been spoilt and this thing needs a shitload of time and money to go through it all properly....jeeze I aint even compression tested it yet, shoulda done that while it was warm and had oil in it.....

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah you want some dirty pix I know.
Heres some filth!!!:devil

Attachments

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Oh well, it'll keep you away from the pool hall. How much did he pay you to take it off his hands?

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She....and it started out her asking me to get it running so she could sell it.
How much should I give her?

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Looks like motorcycle maintenance to her was filling the gas tank and that's it. What should you give her? I could tell you, but the Admin might be watching. :)

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like motorcycle maintenance to her was filling the gas tank and that's it. What should you give her? I could tell you, but the Admin might be watching. :)
Nope...tank was dry as a nuns.
Aint seen fuel for long time.
She never rode it..
Just ended up owning it.
Gonna do an ownership check before I go much further.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a project! Might need a complete rebuild. Wonder why the tank is a different color.

It's the same model 650 Yammy I had all those years ago.
Yeah mate looking like it needs a complete rebuild....
Tanks a different colour cos someones custom painted it....as one of the worlds first factory custom 'cruisers' they were a blank canvas for creativity.
Thankfully this hasnt been chopped up and is reasonably original....down to the oil:eek

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Gotta love that original oil !!!

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
She....and it started out her asking me to get it running so she could sell it.
How much should I give her?
Given the condition needing a complete rebuild and going through right down to the wheel bearings I would explain it to her that the bike really has no value until you fix it other than maybe as a parts bike.

I wouldn't give her more than a couple hundred bucks but first you have to decide if you want to take on such a project.

I like the old XS650's too but that's more than I personally would take on unless you enjoy doing that kind of thing at your age. I find I enjoy working on bikes less and less as I age. It was actually one of the reasons I went with Victory and the low maintenance they have.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I traded a bicycle for an old Moto Guzzi Ambo with a sidecar on it about 10 years back. Bike sat for 10 years in a storage unit.

Got it to run with a few alligator clips and some starting fluid believe it or not but what a mess.

Took it down to the nuts and bolts. Rebuilt the engine with Nikasil, ( original chrome pistons were flaking off ) rebuilt the old 4 speed gear box ( what a huge PITA with those shims! ), repainted it myself and redid the entire electrical system with a new starter.

Took me 2 years and about 1,200.00 in parts. But when it was done...what a beauty. Ended up selling it down the line but in the end it was worth it.

Take your sweet time and piece by piece, a dollar here, a dollar there... you will end up with a fun old ride. Sorta like investing in a younger woman lol.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Given the condition needing a complete rebuild and going through right down to the wheel bearings I would explain it to her that the bike really has no value until you fix it other than maybe as a parts bike.

I wouldn't give her more than a couple hundred bucks but first you have to decide if you want to take on such a project.

I like the old XS650's too but that's more than I personally would take on unless you enjoy doing that kind of thing at your age. I find I enjoy working on bikes less and less as I age. It was actually one of the reasons I went with Victory and the low maintenance they have.

Yeah mate my thoughts exactly re the value...
The scenario got a bit worse befofe it got better ...
Today after Id finished at the Eco Market and only clearing a lousy 70 bucks after paying for my site....today, this arvo to be precise I removed the oil strainer from bottom plateand gave the plate a though clean then I bolted it back in place without filer.
While engine was cold I adjusted the camchain the valves at 3 and 6 thou recurring. Refittiting valve covers.
She went to
Then getting all the valves asjusted up. Off i went on a short ride)
Still scary as ferk the way the forks are

So next I removed tthe smaller washable oil filter on the lower right and cleaned it.
Heres some pic!
Once everything was done I turned my attention to adding 2 litres of Penrite Mineral oil 20-60 and kicking the bi...
Ra a bit better intp life.....Tired!!!!

Check condition of second oil filter!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
Oh man! That is just ugly! Yikes!

Yeah; a full rebuild is in order that bike I would think. I wouldn't trust it for more than going up the block and back. Nothing farther than I could push it home.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
MBX....You're loving every minute of this and you know it. You like these challenges and you are going to show that bike that you are its master and not the other way around. I know you, cuz that's me too -- gotta win the battles until the war is won.

·
12,983 Posts
Long as its her money your spending your ok. Yes I know your time is worth something but would you be doing if it was not for getting it running.
Have fun

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You blokes have some strange ideas about what goes on inside my head.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Something's going on?:devil
Oh yeah maties! Somethings going on alright!
Its mine now...committed (probably should be!)
Severely overtight steering head bearings coupled with no fork oil made the thing unrideable!
Remedied all that, fixed and cleaned the oil filters and on 4th flushing oil change with JASO mineral diesel 20-60 Penrite of course.
Went on a ride over the hill and got stranded flat bettery discovered rotors SNAFU so up for a rewind on 23rd...day my Vic parts arrive funnilly enough!
Running total loss with good battery no headlight daytime runner only.
Tricked up a slipping clutch today , pulled primary pulled clutch deglazed on glass with 400 and kero. Mate lathed up some spacers out of 1.8mm washers turned outers down to 16.9mm for me, slipped under clutch springs and a short testride 2 up proved it works uphill 2 up on the gas hard in high gear it just torques up.
Nuthin like a Victory but...
Did an overtake too and nuthin like a Vic..
Had me a bit worried but made it..
Oil leaks a plenty still tracking em down.
Anyway sprayed flat black Peel Off on the tank to cover the roadkill theme of Roo Emu Dingo...looks like a respectable motorcycle again!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just waiting for the JB Weld to set properly...rushed it last time or maybe the hole wasnt clean enough..
Rear rh valve adjustment cover is whats leaking oil I think...making a real mess as it capillaries its way around and down the engine in an imitation of an old Triumph or Harley, and marking its turf as they called it.
Heavy fisted gorilla worked on this at some time, found a few things overly tight and some stripped threads.
The lower of the three studs holding the above cover being one.
Nuts been overtightened resulting in the steel stud chewing out the softer alloy of the head....
Hoping if I give it at least the 15 hrs cure that it wont pull back out like last time.
Also reading the XS650 forum I realise that itd be wise to retorque the head as that may eliminate a lot of the oil leaks these bikes are famous for....Fact is a Yam650 shouldnt leak oil...even though all of mine have in the past...and I fobbed it off as class.
Victory has spoiled me!:devil

1 - 19 of 19 Posts