Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought new handlebars for my KP, looking to run the wires internal. I've seen 18-60watt soldering guns, what will work for what im doing? I've never done this before and probably won't do a lot so im not looking to spend $$$ on a super nice one. Just somthing basic that will get the job done. Thanks!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bought new handlebars for my KP, looking to run the wires internal. I've seen 18-60watt soldering guns, what will work for what im doing? I've never done this before and probably won't do a lot so im not looking to spend $$$ on a super nice one. Just somthing basic that will get the job done. Thanks!!
A cheap lower wattage one will work fine for soldering wires. Remember to use flux which will make it a lot easier to solder.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
A cheap lower wattage one will work fine for soldering wires. Remember to use flux which will make it a lot easier to solder.
:I agree: +1

Also, since this is your first time, I highly suggest practicing on some scrap wires before you move on to the real deal. Be patient, and practice soldering wires of similar gauge and characteristic. You'll know when you're ready. Try to get strong bond (pull on both wires to check) and try to be as neat as you can (don't make solder sculptures everywhere). Be careful of solder dropping onto the paint of the bike - try to solder away from the bike, and have the front fender and gas tank covered with shop towels when you have to solder on top.

·
13,231 Posts
Take a sample peace of wire and go to radio shack and tell them what your soldering. You Want flex core solder and they have cheap guns.
Go to you tube and see if there is a soldering video. You'll shrink tubing to go over the wires. Cut your wires at staggered lengths so you don't have a big wad to pull threw. I put a peace of string in the hole of the bars and with air blow it threw to the other end. Look on you tube for internal bar wiring.
http://www.google.com/search?q=sodering+wires&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GZAG_enUS471

·
Registered
580 Posts
also "tin" the end of your wires before soldering. To do this take the end of one wire- and just solder it solid. Doesn't take very much solder. When you have the ends of two wires you want to solder tinned- then solder them together. You will not even need any solder for that because the solder is already on the end of the wires.

Make sense?

m

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
What Unicorn said. Plus, heat up the wire in question first; that is, you don't want to have the gun/wire/solder all touching right away -- you want to get the wire hot first. And try not to use too much solder.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
What Unicorn said. Plus, heat up the wire in question first; that is, you don't want to have the gun/wire/solder all touching right away -- you want to get the wire hot first. And try not to use too much solder.
Bingo. Putting hot solder on a cold wire will cause a "cold solder joint" that is weak and will crack and lose conductivity.

Also, Johnny was trying to say flux core solder not flex core. IOW, the flux is in the solder so you don't have to apply it separately. Flux helps the solder to flow into the nooks and crannies of the solder joint.

High temperature (wattage) solder irons are for different types of soldering applications like silver. You won't need anything that fancy.

·
Registered
530 Posts
also "tin" the end of your wires before soldering. To do this take the end of one wire- and just solder it solid. Doesn't take very much solder. When you have the ends of two wires you want to solder tinned- then solder them together. You will not even need any solder for that because the solder is already on the end of the wires.

Make sense?

m
+1 Tin wire prior to soldering wire together and don't forget to slip on the shrink tubing first, LOL!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Pretty good instructions and videos on this site

http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm

Only thing I would add is keep everything clean. That includes your soldering gun/iron and the joint. The flux in solder helps the solder to flow evenly when it heats up. But it also can cause corrosion in the joint if you don't clean it up after you're done. For cleaning the soldering gun/iron use a wet sponge. For cleaning the joint after your done use rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
103 Posts
(Webber) What bars did you buy? I just did the ness 12" modular and I didnt have to cut or add any length to any of the wires but 2, the 2 that went to each switch on the levers..If you have any patience and not in a huge rush you can pop the wires out of the hardshell and put them back in i posted my pics in a post a couple weeks back.. As for them being loose in the hardshell after i have not seen any differece in them also they are alot of wires to be soldering, 14 on one side and 6 on the other if i remember correct.. Again this isnt for everyone, just putting another option out there for you.. any questions feel free to ask or in box me..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts