Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are on a semi limited budget and we're in the market for a good used vic. The cross bikes are out of our price range, the 92's are abundant and cheap but there's the parts issue with them. Our riding is comprised of some 2 up riding (about 500 mile trips at 70-75mph and some around town riding in austin) I commute about 30 miles each way to and from work. I'm thinking a v92tc/kingpin/vegas.

Comfort is a requirement since if you search my previous posts, I went on a bluebonnet ride with old gringo on our old sportster that didn't end well and with the misses being the primary breadwinner, if she's not comfortable on it then it's not going in the garage. Here's how I've broken it down.

V92TC: Victory's first and oldest entrant, can easily be acquired on the cheap. I've read several reviews that have said that the bike is extremely comfortable cross country. While yes, they can be had easily for a reasonable price, what happens now that it's an orphan?

VEGAS: Victory's "cash cow" and extremely popular. I'm concerned about the comfort two up on this bike. Starting to enter my price range with the pre-owned early models.

KINGPIN: I've tested one and absolutely amazing ride, unfortunately I was absolutely furious to find that it had been replaced with the boardwalk. The better suspension and inverted front fork won me over, but it's not quite low enough in price. I'd have to wait another year or two for it to depreciate.

CROSSROADS: For me this is the cadillac. It fit both of us very well, had power to spare, but it would be three to four years for used to depreciate enough.

We did go ahead and try the road king out for shiggles, and she was about ready to beat my head in. I myself was NOT happy with this p.o.s. whatsoever.

There's also the potential for the new Indian Chief but there's noone here in Austin that is setting up for a dealership.

Well, that's where I stand, Shaky ground, emotionally unsure and just needing someone to point me in a direction. I'm tired of thinking myself in circles. Please and thank you so very much in advance.

·
Registered
690 Posts
So why don't you go with the kingpin ? Even tho it's discontinued doesn't mean you can't get parts. Or get it serviced. The bike is the same as a Vegas/highball/boardwalk, from the tank back.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
545 Posts
What happens with the TC. Parts come off used bikes cheap, Ebay is your new friend and you don't care to "make it your own". I have a 2000 SC. It is turning into a mutt in the parts department with a dyna glide seat, mid 80's Vetter fairing modified to fit and a few other hand made pieces to make the wife comfortable on the back. I don't want anything I'm worried about scratching the paint on. It does what we want it to do, will look good when I'm done (one of these years ;) ), and we love it for what it is not what other people think. In the end though it's like a tattoo. No one can tell you what to get or where to get it (in this case to ride) you have to choose. Good luck and safe riding.

2000 V92SC in Middle, TN

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I tried a vegas and for 2up it was to small, since the kingpin shares the seat i would say the same, and i happen to work with a guy with a kp thats looking into a cross bike because of the 2up riding. I guess its up to the size of the riders. Im 6'3 and my wife is 5'9.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
418 Posts
From reading your post I think that you may be best in hunting down the Crossroads. From personal experience I settled on a bike to build into working for us in place of waiting to get one that worked to start with, it cost me thousands more over what it should have.

Good luck, happy wife, happy life.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Not to get real personal, but what is your tipping point in price?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
So why don't you go with the kingpin ? Even tho it's discontinued doesn't mean you can't get parts. Or get it serviced. The bike is the same as a Vegas/highball/boardwalk, from the tank back.
Nope. It's got an inch longer shock with what appears to me to be a much lower spring rate.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Classic overthink.

1. Budget number. Not with the Cycle Trader in hand. At the kitchen table with eyes open. Lock in and stay focused on it.

2. Everything is a trade off. Of course a bike that is common, past prime and unsupported is going to be cheaper. You have to do more heavy lifting. FWIW I have had bikes of 1930's vintages. I managed to get and keep them running so I can tell you that a 15 year old bike might be trying but it sure isn't "hard" to keep on the road. What it does mean is that regular maintenance and foresight and networking will help keep you on the road since a quick trip to Parts R Us is not going to always work for you.

3. See #1. If you know the number and you accept it as gospel then it will guide you. You may end up on a later model that has some issue that gets it to that number, Mary Kay comes to mind. Just saying holding tight to your budget will make the decision easier. Boundaries!

4. Patience and diligence and willingness. If the current crop does not get you excited keep looking, broaden your sources, broaden your geography and the less criteria you lock in on the more options you will have. If you say Victory you have immediately excluded thousands of choices. If you say under $xxxx you have excluded thousands more bikes and so forth. Don't get Pop wrong, man's got to get what he wants but try to be flexible except stick to the budget number. The deals keep on coming. The bike that you just have to have is out there and if it goes by, there is another bike that you just have to have coming soon. The bike of your dreams that is just outside your budget will be cheaper tomorrow when it doesn't sell or if it does sell it will be replaced in the want ads just like that.

Yadda, yadda , yadda... thing is dial in a price, define the must have conditions for that price, and then get your hunt on. The bike will filter out. Patience will likely yield better results and every day that passes without a score is a day you learned something else about the hunt and the market.

So which bike, The TC, the Vegas, the Crossroads, the Pin, whatever? How about the one that you snagged for the price you wanted to pay? That's the one.

Good hunting.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Nope. It's got an inch longer shock with what appears to me to be a much lower spring rate.
Depending on the year/model. From what I understand, everything from 09 and up has the low shock, and all the B balls have it as well.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Depending on the year/model. From what I understand, everything from 09 and up has the low shock, and all the B balls have it as well.
8 balls likely do. Painting them black and putting lower end parts is how they keep the price down on those. I rode an '11 KP and definitely had the plusher shock.

·
Administrator
5,977 Posts
used KP will make you the most happy in the long run....they can be found at a very reasonable price..
:I agree: Most value will come via the Kingpin route. Ride that for a few years, and without taking much loss, you can then switch to something else, like a Cross Roads.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My wife and I are on a semi limited budget and we're in the market for a good used vic. The cross bikes are out of our price range, the 92's are abundant and cheap but there's the parts issue with them. Our riding is comprised of some 2 up riding (about 500 mile trips at 70-75mph and some around town riding in austin) I commute about 30 miles each way to and from work. I'm thinking a v92tc/kingpin/vegas.

Comfort is a requirement since if you search my previous posts, I went on a bluebonnet ride with old gringo on our old sportster that didn't end well and with the misses being the primary breadwinner, if she's not comfortable on it then it's not going in the garage. Here's how I've broken it down.

V92TC: Victory's first and oldest entrant, can easily be acquired on the cheap. I've read several reviews that have said that the bike is extremely comfortable cross country. While yes, they can be had easily for a reasonable price, what happens now that it's an orphan?

VEGAS: Victory's "cash cow" and extremely popular. I'm concerned about the comfort two up on this bike. Starting to enter my price range with the pre-owned early models.

KINGPIN: I've tested one and absolutely amazing ride, unfortunately I was absolutely furious to find that it had been replaced with the boardwalk. The better suspension and inverted front fork won me over, but it's not quite low enough in price. I'd have to wait another year or two for it to depreciate.

CROSSROADS: For me this is the cadillac. It fit both of us very well, had power to spare, but it would be three to four years for used to depreciate enough.

We did go ahead and try the road king out for shiggles, and she was about ready to beat my head in. I myself was NOT happy with this p.o.s. whatsoever.

There's also the potential for the new Indian Chief but there's noone here in Austin that is setting up for a dealership.

Well, that's where I stand, Shaky ground, emotionally unsure and just needing someone to point me in a direction. I'm tired of thinking myself in circles. Please and thank you so very much in advance.
I have to agree with POP, Keep your eye on the ball.

You mention budget, do you have a planned out budget, to mean on a spreadsheet or some sort of real data base that you can see where all your funds/funding is going? I have spoken to many who say they have a budget but in actuallity have no idea where they really are. I am not saying you are in that group.

Key requirement is the bike has to fit within $X,XXX.XX dollares full stop. this will either cost you so much per month or draw that amount out of savings. This is where things go off the tracks. Stick to that number as Pop said.

Two up riding is much different than solo... short rides are different from long runs. Take a serious look at what you expect to do

Ride to work in place of the Cage? good cost saving tip, factor that into your budget as the cost of commuting will be cheaper. Don't froget the cage as there will be days that are too hot, cold , rainy, etc.

Cheap doesn't always mean right, you still get what you pay for. Are you handy with a wrench? mechanicly talented? this opens another path to look at much more tricky but another path.

Main use is to? solo ride or two up? be real here, two up make sure she is comfortable with the machine, if she is not comfortable your life will be less than happy.

Hi speed on the super slab I am a fan of farings to keep unwanted bit out of your face and off your body.

Don't skimp on the safety gear, jacket, boots , good helmet... if youhave this stuff cool if not factor that into the cost equasion

End of the day the right bike is the one you bought at the right price.

Cheers, keep looking and don't be afraid to look outside of the local area.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
If you are needing a bike for 2-up comfort and good storage then it sounds like a cross roads is what you need. Probably hard to find many new left overs around anymore but if you can they can be got for a minimum of 25% off the sticker out the door (not including taxes, tags, registration) or even more. That would hopefully mean you can find a good used 2010 or 2011 for well under $10k and will probably have the needed extras (sissybar, windshield, and front crashbars). The 2014's come out sometime next week so that will mean more of a drop in the older models new and used.

·
Registered
222 Posts
:I agree: Most value will come via the Kingpin route. Ride that for a few years, and without taking much loss, you can then switch to something else, like a Cross Roads.
+1 on that. Not only is the KP dead sexy, it has a rising rate linkage- unlike the Judge and Boardwalk wich have straight linkages.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Squatch brought up a good point, if you can do your own work you will save a good chunk of money vs. taking it in for everything. There is no way i could afford mine if i had to take it in.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I have a buddy, that last year he picked up a leftover brand new Vision 8 Ball for $12,000.

Just an FYI....

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I don't think that's entirely accurate. My '12 Pin did not come with the low shock. It's in the list of accessories that you can put on it but didn't come that way.

For the OP, I've not test rode the other bikes but I can tell you that the Pin rides and handles like a Cadillac. It takes the road bumps and barely lets you know it. It handles the twisties like it was born to. I've never been happier. I do a lot of 2 up riding. While stock it may not be the most comfortable but throw on some Mustang Touring seats with dual backrests, passenger floor boards, windshield and cruise control and you can gobble the miles up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I owned a KP a while back. For one up riding, IMHO, it would be hard to beat, as long as you limit to weekend trips. For a (my) passenger, it was bad. Her major complaint was not the seat, it was the pegs positioned her legs too high and at an awkward bend. I recently (last year) picked up my current ride, the XR. For me, it does all I ever wanted to KP to do. The only drawback to the XR is it is slow compared to my only KP. (KP had Big Bore upgrade and S&S intake. XR is basically a Stg 1. Yes, apples to oranges looking at power to weight.)

There is my .02.

Ride safe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 37 Posts