Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to post this in the Vision section but it wouldn't let me, so I'll ask here. I've had my Vision for 2 weeks now and have a couple of questions (Call me a moron if you must).

1. When filling the tank, I cannot seem to get it all the way full, I fill it til it's darn near to the cap, but the gage always says 3/4 full ??

2. What is the best way to wash the beast, detailer? or can I use good Ol' soap and water (what about speakers and such?)

I'm sure I will have more ?'s later, thanks in advance for the answers, have pity on me.:)

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
My vision is in the shop right now... one of thte reasons was the gauge giving false information about the level. According to the wisdom I have read on this forum and from what I got from the server rep was that the gauges are lie a lot. Mine would read empty after sitting all night, even tho I filled it up before putting it to bed. After about 20 mins, it would read close to the actual level.

The lesson here is that you do not rely on the gauge. once you know your average mpg, just keep that in mind as you ride and look for a gas station when you get under a half a tank.

As for washing... high pressure hoses are a big no no. I wash mine with a bucket and a wash rag. I really don't was over the speakers so I don't know if the water will hut them, I assume not as they will get rain on them at some point, but why push it?

I do love my Vision and it is killing me to not have it in the garage right now. But, it will be home again in a few hours. I hope that you enjoy your new ride as much as I do. The Visions are a great bike.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Husker, the only reason it wouldnt post in the vision forum is you havent hit your 5 message minimum yet which is used to reduce spam on the web site. Welcome! Great place to gain knowledge here and a good group of people. Enjoy that Vision and happy riding!!!!

Not that I have a Vision but I do have some bags and like to keep mine looking tight. I Wash on occasion if I have alot of road film with my favorite car soap from advance auto (forgot name, it's blue... that should help... lol..) on the dirty areas around lower engine and wheels but for 85% of the remaining time I use soft terry cloth towels and mequires motorcycle detail mist & wipe for the plastic and paint and their chrome polish for both my chrome and aluminum. Are their better products? Maybe but I have used their stuff for many years and never been disappointed so just kept it running on the bike and like what I see.

Tim

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I tried to post this in the Vision section but it wouldn't let me, so I'll ask here. I've had my Vision for 2 weeks now and have a couple of questions (Call me a moron if you must).

1. When filling the tank, I cannot seem to get it all the way full, I fill it til it's darn near to the cap, but the gage always says 3/4 full ??

2. What is the best way to wash the beast, detailer? or can I use good Ol' soap and water (what about speakers and such?)

I'm sure I will have more ?'s later, thanks in advance for the answers, have pity on me.:)

The Vision uses a split tank system, with a line (or pair? ) running between them. It takes time for the fuel to work it's way from the fill side to left side tank. Gently rock the bike, or just wait 30 seconds, and you will see the fuel level drop. Then fill some more and wait for that to distribute, and you can get a little more fuel in. For me, it usually takes two followups to the original fill to get the tank full.

·
Registered
782 Posts

1) It's best to fill up while sitting on the bike, propping it upright (not leaned on the sidestand), this may help with gauge accuracy on the split tank setup

2) Don't use dish soap, and NEVER use rags to wash or dry your bike!! Whether it's my stock paint on my Hammer S or my $10k paint job on my other bike, I treat them with the same respect.

I use only S100. Spray on a dry & cool bike, rinse off. S100 eats through everything, even tough grease without scrubbing. IF you get something that won't simply rinse off, use the provided soft sponge to GENTLY wipe it off, then rinse.

If you have bad bugs on the front of the bike, fill a spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide, spray on the bug directly, and let the enzymes eat it away (it will foam), then spray with S100, and rinse away. The bugs melt off like magic, and it will not damage paint or clearcoat.

Dry using an ELECTRIC leaf blower or Air Force Blaster (I own and use both). Never use a gas powered leaf blower, it sprays oil onto the bike.

Now you've cleaned the bike to showroom new looks without scrubbing or busting your butt, and no rags have touched your finish to cause damage/swirlies.

If you are too impatient to blow dry 100% (it can take a whopping 20 minutes) and feel you must use a cloth, use a microfiber cloth or soft chamois and DRAPE onto surface, let soak, lift up... never wipe.

My bikes look 100% showroom new and have FLAWLESS paint with no marks, swirls or fading. And my black motor looks deep black, not faded grey.

·
Registered
545 Posts
As mentioned above one should never rely on the fuel gauge alone... I carried a gallon jug of fuel with me on a long ride so that I could run from a full tank to actually running out of gas and noted the miles traveled. Then poured the gallon in and made my way to a service station and did it again in order to get an average. Now I know exactly how many miles I can ride before I am pushing... or in one instance the border patrol at Sault Ste. Marie had to push me out of the customs booth because I ran out of fuel there while waiting two and a half hours to get across the bridge and I wanted USA gasoline, not Canadian... LOL

If you tour as I do, circumstances are not always conducive to keeping the bike clean or to cleaning it when you stop for the day. I just take it to the local spray wash and stand back a little farther because of the water pressure and wash it down... then I detail with Pledge and a microfiber towel. On a true touring bike one shouldn't have to worry about water damage to the speakers or the fact that the cruise control quits working when it gets wet... HOWEVER, both things happen with the stock items on the Vision. I guess 70-80 MPH thru a rain storm is more than the rear speakers can take... also just high humidity f#[email protected] with the cruise control. Also I have come to terms with the fact that these items are not covered by Polaris/Victory under warranty...

·
12,970 Posts
I use to use one foot on the floor board and give it a gentle push on the board trying to get the air out while filling.
Now I just squeeze the handle very gentle and yes it takes a little long but now I'm right at the top. I get a full tank every time.

Cleaning is use car soap simple green its cheaper the S100 and does the same job. microfiber towels all the time.
Bugs Bugs I get home from a ride I go into the house get a microfiber towel with hot water on it and take the bugs off. There is never any reason to get them off ASP. On a trip use a zip lock bag with a wet or damp towel and do the same. The trick is keep it on the bottom of the saddle bag that way its always warm

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
1) I use only S100. Spray on a dry & cool bike, rinse off. S100 eats through everything, even tough grease without scrubbing. IF you get something that won't simply rinse off, use the provided soft sponge to GENTLY wipe it off, then rinse.

If you have bad bugs on the front of the bike, fill a spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide, spray on the bug directly, and let the enzymes eat it away (it will foam), then spray with S100, and rinse away. The bugs melt off like magic, and it will not damage paint or clearcoat.

Dry using an ELECTRIC leaf blower or Air Force Blaster (I own and use both). Never use a gas powered leaf blower, it sprays oil onto the bike.

Now you've cleaned the bike to showroom new looks without scrubbing or busting your butt, and no rags have touched your finish to cause damage/swirlies.
Good gouge on S100 Bandit. Have been wondering about that product and it's results. Think I will give it a try. Never heard of the peroxide trick, makes sense. Thanks for the tips!
:D

·
Registered
782 Posts
No problem, glad to help.

I've tried it all, and until S100 my favorite on previous show cars and stuff was Griot's, but it gets pricey. S100 is the most effortless, and more effective than anything I've tried (Simple Green was pretty close).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, all great info. I've got an M109R so I got the usual bike cleaning down to an art (Yes I use an electric leaf blower, 7 mins. on the 9R) I did use Mcguires today to clean it up. Was just kind of worried about speakers, Cruise Control and such. Nothing fancy on the 109.

On a side note, I rode my 109 today for the first time in 2 1/2 months due to being out of town alot, and MAN, it was like riding a powerful pocket rocket compared to the Vision, was still ablast but took a couple miles to get back into the groove.

Keep the great info. coming my way, I thank you all.

Who IN KC has a Vision?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts