Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep.

I have no idea why. It was parked at my apartment, in the same parking space it always parks in.. I hadn't ridden in 4 days.

I go out this morning to go for a ride, and I find this.

Is Victory paint similar to automobile paint, in that this might be able to be buffed out?

It was a bad start to the morning. But an excellent ride otherwise.

Requ21

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Those don't look like you could buff them out. Pricey Reoair too. Call you insurance. Does your building have security cams? File claim with the building. They have insurance.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
If I came out to see that , I probably would have puked .... Like Dan said , exercise every option you have to get to the bottom of it . In my state I believe vandalism has a zero deductible , definitely check with your insurance co. and get that fixed up . Good luck Brother .

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Farking God damm!!! I have never heard of that happening to a bike before, which is way worse than a car I reckon.

Really, really sorry to hear that buddy. See if you can catch the little farkers and then break every one of their fingers!

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
My stomach literally knotted when I saw that pic....Sorry Requ21, hope it gets fixed up soon.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Can you go to the office and ask if they have cameras? Put a flyer up with a $200 reward for identification of the perp. Community living, brings out the worst sort of scum in my experience.

Love that little bike box HC!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you have renters insurance it should cover it. IF you don't have renters insurance, you need to get it as it is not very expensive.

·
Registered
611 Posts
If you have renters insurance it should cover it. IF you don't have renters insurance, you need to get it as it is not very expensive.
Unless you have something special, renters insurance will not cover that, or any other vehicle related damage. Renter's insurance is for personal property inside your apartment (tv's jewelry, etc.). Vehicle insurance covers vehicles, renters or homeowners insurance covers personal effects.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Renters insurance will not cover vehicles. That kind of damage is covered by comprehensive on a vehicle policy. That's why one should always have comp, even on a stored / non running car or bike.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Renters insurance will not cover vehicles. That kind of damage is covered by comprehensive on a vehicle policy. That's why one should always have comp, even on a stored / non running car or bike.
I guess it is different in each state then, my renters insurance covered criminal mischief damage to my truck a few years back.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Damn Requ21 ..... that is just too much ..... very sad to see .....

Maybe it was a HD chick ?

How much would a tank-re-painting cost anyway (just curious) ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think I've upset anyone recently... so I'm hoping it was just kids, and that it was an isolated incident... I will also be more vigilant about always taking the time to put the cover on it... Not that it will deter someone who really wants to damage it, but atleast I will feel better about it. I'm also going to move my parking space to a spot I can see from my bedroom window, just in case... although for the sake of my criminal record I hope I don't catch anyone messing with my bike...

In any event, I won't be involving my insurance.

I took it to my aunt and uncle's body shop to get an opinion. They said about half could be sanded/buffed out... but that a tank re spray is the right fix... he said if I pull the tank, and do the prep, he will spray it for free.

Which leads to the question, is Victory gloss black just a normal black, or will I need to special order some paint? Also, how involved is the tank removal process for a XC?

Thanks again everyone,
Requ21.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's really pretty easy.....start with a fuel tank that is almost empty you'll appreciate when you start lifting.
- Remove the side covers and the 2 -6mm bolts to remove the seat.
- Remove the 10mm bolt from the ground wire on the gas tank. (Put bolt back in tank so it doesn't get lost.
- Pull the 2 fuel breather and overflow lines from their rubber connections under seat.
- Remove 2 - 6mm bolts from gas tank base. (Keep up with the 2 outside and 2 inside rubber bushings.
- Raise the rear of the tank enough to block up with a 2x4 (or have a friend hold it) under tank, unplug sending unit.
- Remove right cheese wedge by pulling straight out on it.
- Locate fuel connector with green tabs. Depress green tabs and pull towards you to remove fuel line. Pay attention to the fuel line routing around and through the wiring harness. (You may have to cut a factory tie wrap, and it needs to go back the same way.)
- Remove tank by lifting up and pulling back at the same time.
- Make sure you have a blanket or workbench handy to set it on.
- To reinstall, reverse order.

I also think there's also video on Youtube produced by Witchdoctors that explains and shows you how to do it.

Sorry about the damage. Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Right, as stated repeatedly, insurance.
Don't expect much out of the property owners. Vandalism is most often picked up by the victim's insurance, not the proprietor.
Maybe there's video. Again, don't expect much but hey, you might get something that you can use to finger the douchebag. Of course if they have cameras, and if they have a camera that is pointed at your bike and if that point of view is angled to see faces and if the resolution is better than 99% of garage videos and if the camera was in a loop of active cameras and if it was recording footage during the brief timeframe it took the jerk to screw up your paint and if the data is kept long enough for you to get your hands on it and if the garage security will give you a copy... if all of that or most of that comes together and you can get a download of it and it's in a format you have or can get your hands on, then you can scrub that video for however long it takes to find the few brief seconds in the many hours, what did you say? Four days? Scrub four days of video. Have at it because the garage and LEO are not going to spend that kind of time on it. I ain't trying to discourage you. I have had bikes stolen. I have run the traps. What I know now is: file the claim, get the check, move on.

Different versions of the doghouse have been around for awhile. Watch the vid HC posted close. Do you really want to wheel your bike in and out of that on a daily basis? I think you would need to do some math to determine if your bike would play well with it. Clearly all bikes won't, including the one they used for the demo. Bang go the mirrors, or maybe your fingers if you aren't thinking.

Some properties don't allow doghouses. The thing that gets me about them is that they fall under the ragtop lock rule. If you lock the doors on your convertible then you might as well put a neon sign on it begging for somebody to cut the roof off. How much defense is in a plastic or fiberglass box? Just enough for a scumball to fugg up your bike busting into it. Same goes for some of those George Jetson looking motorcycle trailers.

Fifty bucks buys a decent cloth cover. It is no kind of deterrent to anything more evil than rain and dust, but it's probably enough to keep lazy kids or brand loyal drunken shitheads from keying it. Will do nothing to prevent somebody that is intent on doing the worst, but a doghouse won't either.

Sorry that you got tagged but the silver lining is you still have the bike. I don't subscribe to much philosophical hokum but I am of a mind that the crap you visit on others comes back around. If you are the type of nitwit that keys a mans bike, the odds are that you will use that same nitwit brainstem to guide you into trouble in doses you didn't count on, hopefully among Mexican drug cartel turf battles or the 1st round draft of the cannibal homosexual football league.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Isn't there some delicate plastic fuel nipple on the bottom of the tank that you have to be ultra-careful to not break when removing or installing the tank?

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I guess it is different in each state then, my renters insurance covered criminal mischief damage to my truck a few years back.
Point taken. Here, if a garage burns with a vehicle in it, the insurance that's on the budding will not cover the vehicle, only the comp will.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts