Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden Harleys since 1973. After much research I am ready to purchase a cross country. Think the bike will be more reliable and it has better static balance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and my only concern is Victory service shops. It seems that in the Midwest there is a HD dealer every few miles.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Oh, and my only concern is Victory service shops. It seems that in the Midwest there is a HD dealer every few miles.
Resists the initial urge to be a smartarse and say "thats cos they break down every few miles" when I know thats not entirely true.
Welcome swodo, to the forum, to Victory, and out of the past into the future, youve obviously ridden a Vic by the sound of your first post.
The only time Ive been to my local dealer in my capital city 60 miles away apart from to have it checked on their computer after I'd ridden 1200 miles home (my 2010 Vegas had 14000 kilometres on it when I bought it privately 19 months ago.
Now shes fot 73,000 kms. Trouble free.
Only time the dealers see it is on our monthly runs out of the Brisbane shop.
Admittedly we have the worlds best dealership here in Brisbane Australia.
But hey these things are so technologically advanced and over-engineered theyre virtually bulletproof, and a piece of cake for all maintenance if youre handy with the spanners.
ENJOY your Victory, and Welcome.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
The only 2 times my bike has been at the dealer was when I bought it and for the 500-mile service. I've got just over 21,100 on it now and have not needed to see the dealer except for goodies.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It will take some getting used to, at least for me it did after my 06 softail. No blipping the throttle (my 14 XC likes to cough and stall if I do that). A little finicky tranny if you hold the clutch in too long. Doesn't like to find the right gear if I do that. Still working out my old habits and learning with 1850 miles on mine.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Like some others a lot of graffiti went through my head on this one.

Chances are you won't need a dealer, If you do, choose wisely.

HD has marketing down to a fine science. They build the boutique dealerships and serve every bit of their clients. From baby clothes to sexy undies, to coffins (joking but you know there is that someone somewhere). They want you cradle to grave and not just on one of their MC's. They sell and image and do it as well if not better than anyone.

So, don't fret over no dealers everywhere unless that is what you want from motorcycling. There are gazillions of Honda's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's, and Yamaha's out there and not a dealer or two in every town. Certainly not a mega market for one product.

Buy the Vic, get used to it "not being a Harley", not having 40 choices for almost every kind of aftermarket gizmo, people asking what it is, and enjoy. One of the best riders on the road, and statistically pretty reliable.

Welcome to the mayhem.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I go to my Vic dealer 4 times a week ( he is my neighbor ) coz we ride together and all my spares I use them as a shipping address

thumb up

Welcome to Victory, and you do not need your dealer, other then having a good friend and talk about bikes .... not many vics break down .... but it does happen and THEN you have this forum and the guys on here will help you however they can ...

·
12,970 Posts
Hate my dealer. Riding 30 miles to the next one is ok but not great. By the way my dealer is 3 miles away and the harley dealer is 75 yds from him

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Great choice. Originally looked at Harley too but so much can happier that I bought my victory judge. Couldn't be any happier!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yeah mate, I was of the same mind but so glad I chose Victory technology over HD image.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hate my dealer. Riding 30 miles to the next one is ok but not great. By the way my dealer is 3 miles away and the harley dealer is 75 yds from him
There is an HD dealer across the street from the Victory/(everything else) dealer. And the funny thing is a good friend of mine was at the HD dealer buying a Road Glide at the same time I was buying my XC.

He razzed me about the Victory. But when I said, "You wanna race??" He got quiet real quick. Both bikes were so stock they still had the dealer tank of gas in them.

Harleys can be rebuilt to be very powerful and fast. But like i said, "Rebuilt" Their marketing strategy for that is unparalleled. HD has done very well recently when it comes to the trinkets on their bikes. The touchscreen, bluetooth, communication system, etc was very appealing to me. But with the last few Harleys I have owned I have started to get upset every time I have to take it to the shop. And owning a 1994 Wide Glide I can't take it to the dealer, I have to take it to a shade tree mechanic.

With my XC, once I get it set up the way I want it, I don't expect to go back to the dealer unless I need tires or an oil filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts