Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about 400 miles away from an oil change and was thinking about using amsoil. So the Question is, is it worth the price. Will amsoil help
Quiet down my clunky transmission? I would like do do everything i can to get many miles out of this machine.

I did try to search this but did not find what i was looking for.

Like i said in the title, sorry, I know oil has been done to death.
Like to hear mainly from the V92 guys since we are the ones with the trans issues.
Thanks.

·
12,970 Posts
at top of page is Forum click on that and go to bottom is the oil questions.

Your bike is old and has a lot of miles with I'm guessing Vic oil.
Stay with what ever it is.
If you switch to Amsoil you stand a very good chance to wind up with a clutch that will slip.
Clutch's are soaked in oil for many thousands of miles so when you change to a different brand you can wind up with problems.
Say with what you have been using there is nothing wrong with it

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure on the mileage but the bike i be-leave still had the original tires on it when i bought it. the dealer told me it had a speedo replacement. So mileage is unknown. from all the evidence i would say under ten thousand.

Anyway clutch slippage was a concern i had with full synthetic.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Amsoil is good so are many others. Try it and see if you don't like it try another. I use Rotella and am happy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Anyway clutch slippage was a concern i had with full synthetic.

Thanks for the advice.
I switched over to synthetic at my last oil change and did notice some clutch slipping when aggressively running through the gears, up to 80mph, when merging onto the freeway. Mostly noticeable at 2,3,4.
I'm changing the oil today, going back to regular and staying there. (going to swish a little SeaFoam for a few minutes first).

As always, comments are welcome,
Larry

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think the slipping is caused by certain brands of synthetic oil. I have used Amsoil MC oil, Mobile 1 Vtwin and Rotella T6 and none of them slipped. The Amsoil was very smooth. I just have a hard time justifying the price.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the reply's, I think i will stay with a synthetic blend oil.
Spending 70 bucks for full synthetic and possibly another 40 to do it over again is not an option.

I will never bring up an oil question again. I promise! LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Spending 70 bucks for full synthetic and possibly another 40 to do it over again is not an option.

Please bring it up this is a subject that can be discussed without an ego battle. Refreshing really.

·
Registered
511 Posts

Don't be afraid of synthetic oils. Synthetic oil is far superior to conventional oil and semi-synthetic oil. Victory oil is a group 2 oil with some Group 3 hydrocracked oil in it to market it as a semi-synthetic oil. If they had used all Group 3 oil they would have listed it as full synthetic as that was allowed after Mobil lost the lawsuit against Castrol over the issue of calling hydrocracked oil full synthetic.

Royal Purple, Redline, Mobil and yes even Amsoil make great synthetic oils, real full synthetic oils. I am currently using Redline and plan to stay with it in my Cross Country.

Just take Amsoil's claims about their so called independent tests with a grain of salt. Royal Purple set the record straight about their bogus tests yet Royal Purple still had enough class to say that Amsoil still makes a good product. If you want to read about it look in the Redline oil thread the link and full text is posted in that thread.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you Dann. Just about to hit 10k on a V92SC and was debating on changing oils. At this point I've read SO many arguments over which way to wipe your butt, I mean what oil to use... I'm putting Vic back in it. Might change over later when I do clutch replacement. Good luck with yours.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Don't be afraid of synthetic oils. Synthetic oil is far superior to conventional oil and semi-synthetic oil. Victory oil is a group 2 oil with some Group 3 hydrocracked oil in it to market it as a semi-synthetic oil. If they had used all Group 3 oil they would have listed it as full synthetic as that was allowed after Mobil lost the lawsuit against Castrol over the issue of calling hydrocracked oil full synthetic.

Royal Purple, Redline, Mobil and yes even Amsoil make great synthetic oils, real full synthetic oils. I am currently using Redline and plan to stay with it in my Cross Country.

Just take Amsoil's claims about their so called independent tests with a grain of salt. Royal Purple set the record straight about their bogus tests yet Royal Purple still had enough class to say that Amsoil still makes a good product. If you want to read about it look in the Redline oil thread the link and full text is posted in that thread.
I ran RP in my VTX for years. Never a problem and an improvement in shifting as well as a cool running motor. Just recently I switched to Mobil 1 in my VTX. The cost of RP hit $15+. Mobil1 on sale always. $8.99. So far so good.

Just out of curiosity why redline and not RP? I have not seen Redline MC oil available any where in my area and now the local retailers stopped stocking RP motorcycle oil as well. I'm starting to think that the Vic oil is good for about 3k then it needs to be dumped. Not that that is a problem cause I would change any oil 3k to 5k max. My concern is the protection going on in my motor with Vic oils. The claim about Vic oil acting like a Freon and removing heat from your motor and taking it out thru the oil cooler has me well, wondering and :confused.: Could be why the Vic oil has a short life span.

I look forward to hearing more about how you make out with the Redline. I used to run it in a Mustang I Drag raced back in the late 80's early 90's. Man those were good days. I'm pretty sure I want to switch and I would personally like to try Royal purple in my bike just worried about clutch slippage is all. Does anyone make a drop in heavier duty clutch for these motors?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in the same boat as you Dann. Just about to hit 10k on a V92SC and was debating on changing oils. At this point I've read SO many arguments over which way to wipe your butt, I mean what oil to use... I'm putting Vic back in it. Might change over later when I do clutch replacement. Good luck with yours.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
After much researching and a lot asking around I made the decision to
go with Mobil 1. I just hope it don't bite me in the a$$. Will let you know how it all pans out.

I know i said before i was going to stick with part synthetic but if i don't try it i will never know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts