Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, did a search, didn't find what I was looking for, I have an 07 vegas, what oil do you guys use? I looked, some use amsoil, some use rotella t6, some use whatever, some use the vic. Also, on the filters, I use a purolator now, I found the number here that I would use, then I saw someone said not to use purolator, can I ask why? My plan for my oil change as of now would be to use the Rotella, and the purolator filter, what Rotella should I use, or does it matter, there are different ones if I am thinking right, T, T5, T6 are what I can come up with.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, this is what I hate about forums, I know its a tough topic to bring up, I am just looking to see what others here use, I am new to victory, never thought I would own one, just looking for some input, and since the search feature kinda sucks here, I spent over an hour searching for what oil people are using and got nothing to go off of, found some charts, that is useless to me. I have been told by many to run rotella on bikes and it won't hurt anything, I have tried it before, but on my other bike I could smell it. I run walmart 20-50 in that with no trouble. I don't like my local dealer, don't like to go there any more then I have to, so if I can get my oil elsewhere I would rather do that.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
First things first. This is an outstanding forum with tons of folks ready to help you with about any question. It has some basic guide lines like filling out your signature line with your bike model so we know what you got just by looking at your sig, that way we know your year/engine, model peculiars. (but I did see you have an 07)Proper forum, oil topics have their own forum(Oil and Lube), not sure why you didnt post it there.

Oil topics are TABOO as there are so many opions that the threads spool out of control yet continue to pop up. Whats the bottom line your after here, saving 20 bucks an oil change? You cannot compare Vic's to other bikes unless you are comparing wet clutch to wet clutch. You don't mention service intervals and I know I just read somethng from KevinX on that. Should easily get 3K maybe 3500 but pay attention to harder shifting or hard time finding neautral. My thoughts, in the end is it worth a 1500-2K rebuild to save a few bucks on oil?

Here is a summary of multiple users preference. Im looking for one more thread and will post the results here.

Victory 20W-40, recommended by manufacturer and many factory trained mechanics, original equipment

Note: Current high milage bike I know of is 152,000 V92Freedom using Vic oil and filter.

Amsoil 20W-50, motorcycle oil used by many here in warmer weather northern states, southern states year round

Amsoil 15W-40, motorcycle oil used by many in northern states during the colder months

Mobil 1 20W-50, motorcycle oil used by many year around

Rotella 5W-40, diesel truck synthetic (blue bottle/jug) many use this year round

Rotella 15W-40, regular oil for diesel trucks, used by many, stick to the recommended change intrevals

Royal Purple 20W-50, motorcycle oil, no reported problems, used by many

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
... oil topics have their own forum(Oil and Lube), not sure why you didnt post it there. ...
Me neither, but I've moved this thread to the Oil & Lube forum, where it belongs. cheers

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks for moving the topic, when I posted it I didn't see the oil specific section. I guess my other bike is a wet clutch bike, so I am comparing that, I have not had the clutch slip due to oil and I have tried many in it. The clutch thats currently in my other bike has approx. 40,000 miles on it, and I believe it may be the original clutch in it, so that would mean it would have closer to 60,000 on it. I have put the last 40 or so on it and haven't used motorcycle specific oil for at least the past 35,000.

My 07 that I just bought is the one I want to know about the oil and filter, like I said, polaris doesn't make their own oils, and probably not the filter either. So I am wondering what other oil I can run in it safely. I am looking to save a few bucks if I can, I change oil 3-4 times a year so it does add up.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Found it but it was lengthly... Summary and this is with oil analisys added MerCruiser 20W-40 full synthetic. However, it is based on one engine at 15K+ which and previouisly been running Vic oil. I by no means am saying Vic is the ONLY, just looking at what solid Vic mechanics say and engine performance. 150K is alot of miles on Vic oil. Yes, I understand your trying to save a few bucks but at what peace of mind. I agree with the below statement...

If you been around any VIC forums at all you know of Lloydz Motor Workz.. This is an excerpt from his tech section and should sum it up...
OIL OIL OIL Which to use

This should have been the first thing I ever posted as it’s the MOST played out question on the web.

I get asked this ALL the time. Which oil do I recommend in a Victory? My answer is Victory 20w40 oil! I don’t care about your oil analysts, I don’t care to hear your primary sounds quieter, I don’t care to hear the other oil you use is cheaper, I don’t care to hear any other comment you have about another oil. Cause and effect, you may have caused one thing to “get better” but you just affected another to get worse. I see HUNDREDS of torn apart motors every year, I can with a great deal of accuracy tell which oil was in that motor. It’s not a super power I possess; certain oils leave characteristic stains, marking, smell and wear in different areas of the motor. I’m by all means not experienced in all oils in these bikes but there are the top 4 used that I’m experienced with.

Now I will also say, I’m not suggestion Victory oil is by far the best oil in the world for these bikes. I am saying, with the ones that are typically used Victory oil lends itself to be the superior oil for wear and parts protection that provides a manageable and stable temperatures.

One issue raised is this, if there is better oil, let’s say Royal Purple. It’s oil I’ve wanted to try for years. It would take me an unknown amount of years gathering information to sit down and recommend another brand. Conclusions can’t be made on 1 engine, that’s bit me in the ass before.

So what’s my ending statement?

If you have the ability to buy Victory oil, IMO there’s no reason to open the top on another brand
hope this points you in the right direction and satisfy's your question. Safe riddin

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again, this is the first Vic forum I have been on, it looked like a good one so I thought I would try here. And thanks for the quote, I have seen posts that link to Lloyds, but have never looked it up. That is what I wanted to know I guess, if thats what is highly recommended to use, then I should probably use it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks again, this is the first Vic forum I have been on, it looked like a good one so I thought I would try here. And thanks for the quote, I have seen posts that link to Lloyds, but have never looked it up. That is what I wanted to know I guess, if thats what is highly recommended to use, then I should probably use it.
While I respect other opinions and everyone needs to follow their own inclination when it comes to taking care of their personal property... there are many perfectly viable ways to maintain a motorcycle engine. While many believe that manufacturer specific oil (Vic 20-40 in this case) is best there are many other brands and weights that perform as well or better than this specific brand depending on the particular bike... rider's habits... change intervals... etc. So you see, it is not as easy as one brand or weight fits all... but more of a many brands and weights fill the need... a great deal of the hype over brand specific is perpetuated by the manufacturers because a great many bike owners are uneducated and brand specific oils etc are big profit centers. How many of these same people use brand specific oil in their autos... used to be a great majority, but this practice no longer applies full spectrum... even though the brand specific oils are still out there and are doing well.

If you want to shop at Walsmart and save a few bucks feel free to do what you feel you need to do for yourself. I have been using T6 since it first hit the market in 09 and had run up over 100,000 on my previous bike with no problems. I use it in my Vision now, and have had no problems... I go against the grain of allot of bike owners in that I also use the fram bike filters that can be bought at Walsmart as well... can't for the life of me figure out why I have never encountered a failure of one of these filters...LOL.

In summary... do what you are comfortable doing and become your own best adviser... if it works for you, than you are on the right track.

·
12,984 Posts
Sorry, did a search, didn't find what I was looking for, I have an 07 vegas, what oil do you guys use? I looked, some use amsoil, some use rotella t6, some use whatever, some use the vic. Also, on the filters, I use a purolator now, I found the number here that I would use, then I saw someone said not to use purolator, can I ask why? My plan for my oil change as of now would be to use the Rotella, and the purolator filter, what Rotella should I use, or does it matter, there are different ones if I am thinking right, T, T5, T6 are what I can come up with.
Before asking the most coming questions do a search here or click on forum and scroll down. You'll find lots of answers.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
I use the Amsoil 10W-40 MC or Mobil 1 10W-40 full synthetic... I found that with the 50wt oils the clutch drags a bit. The oil pressure and movement of oil through passages and oil cooler will probably be better with 40wt since the Victory specifies 40 wt oil.

Shell Rotella T-6 5W-40 is not a real synthetic as it is modified petroleum molecule base. It does meet the oil specs for Victory, but I wouldn't extend the change interval with it.

Bottom line: The best oil is CLEAN/NEW oil.

Something interesting: Mobil 1 synthetic won't burn. I held a flame on a puddle of it for 5 minutes and all I could get was a slight bubbling. I think you could put a fire out with that stuff.

·
Registered
304 Posts
thanks, this is what I hate about forums, I know its a tough topic to bring up, I am just looking to see what others here use, I am new to victory, never thought I would own one, just looking for some input, and since the search feature kinda sucks here, I spent over an hour searching for what oil people are using and got nothing to go off of, found some charts, that is useless to me. I have been told by many to run rotella on bikes and it won't hurt anything, I have tried it before, but on my other bike I could smell it. I run walmart 20-50 in that with no trouble. I don't like my local dealer, don't like to go there any more then I have to, so if I can get my oil elsewhere I would rather do that.
Welcome dtmmil. I tend to agree with handyhoward. I have done my research and deemed Shell Rotella Triple to be a good selection. I have 4600 miles on it now and it shifts fine. I held up going to T6 due to the large range of viscosity which makes it more likely to shear, but Rotella is supposed to be shear resistant. Vindex a member on here has posted a UOA of Triple at 3000 miles and it looked fine. It is JASO MA rated as spec'd out by your owners manual. The weight isn't 20w40 but actually is 15w40 for Rotella Triple. For all the talk of "bulletproof" engines, I would expect more than one oil to work with the bike. I am not sweating it, I am using Rotella and if it blows up, I will buy another engine.

Same goes for filters, I have researched and found Purolators to be very good filter. I have used the Champion brand SuperTech and not had issues, although I think they are discontinued. I have not heard good things about Fram and heard enough to skip buying them however.

Any of these will work and are considered good:

About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12. Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6. Made by Champion.
Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607 Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10. Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6. Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317, about $2. Made by Champion.

Good luck in your research. BTW, here is a 200,000 Vic that uses Amsoil: http://www.amsoil.com/testimonials/werder/

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use the Amsoil 10W-40 MC or Mobil 1 10W-40 full synthetic... I found that with the 50wt oils the clutch drags a bit. The oil pressure and movement of oil through passages and oil cooler will probably be better with 40wt since the Victory specifies 40 wt oil.

Shell Rotella T-6 5W-40 is not a real synthetic as it is modified petroleum molecule base. It does meet the oil specs for Victory, but I wouldn't extend the change interval with it.

Bottom line: The best oil is CLEAN/NEW oil.

Something interesting: Mobil 1 synthetic won't burn. I held a flame on a puddle of it for 5 minutes and all I could get was a slight bubbling. I think you could put a fire out with that stuff.
I actually sell industrial oils for a living I do quite a bit of Commercial vehicle oil as well for one of the metioned oils above and here is what I can tell ya. Mobil by far has the highes flash point of all of the oils mentioned at 518 F because of its Base oil technology.

Here is a bit more info just so you know.

Mobil 20W/50 Flash Point 518F Viscosity @100c=130 @40C=17 Viscosity Index 150
Shell Rotella 20/40 Diesel engine oil
Shell Ultra Advanced 15/50 Flash Point 455F Viscosity @100c=132 @40C=19 Viscosity Index 184
Royal Purple 20/50 Flash Point UKNF Viscosity @100c=158 @40C=19 Viscosity Index 140
Amsoil 10/40 Flash Point 446F Viscosity @100c=93 @40C=13 Viscosity Index 152
Victory oil 20/40 Flash Point 450F Viscosity @100c=UKN @40C=15

I dont know that the flow through the oil cooler would be affected much from 40 weight oil to 50 just because at tempature they all should be pretty close based on their VI or Viscosity index which is the slope of viscosity based on heat the higher the number the lesss the differance. Shell ultra advance is their only Full synthetic oil for bikes. RP buys their base stock from Mobil, as does walmart supertech oils. Maybe this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts