Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is suggested to run in these bikes? I try to run premium when possible. I live in MN where ethanol is in everything, but on occasion I can hit a station that has non-oxygenated, generally 91 octane. Should I pay the extra for that, or can I run the 87 with 10% and be OK? I can also on occasion get 88 octane I think it its with no ethanol, thoughts on that also. My bike is an 07, it has a K&N filter, I believe it has the stage 1 flash, and swept pipes. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
It will run on 87, just when it is HOT outside you need 91 or higher because of per-detonation. I mix all the time, it just does not run as good on the lower octane.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, its been hot here lately, the other day when I rode it home it was near 100 and ran great. thanks again! Do you ever mix in some Marvel or any other additives?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Run the octane fuel that is recommended by Victory for your particular motorcycle, it is in your owners' manual. Can't go wrong that way.

Most, if not all gas where I am contains Ethanol..... I hate it. In my older motorcycles it creates havoc with the fuel lines, rubber parts inside carbs and it turns a fibreglass gas tank into jello.

You have no idea how much money ethanol has cost me over the past couple years in caburetor work, fuel line replacement and hving to locate and purchase steel gas tanks for antique motorcycles. What a bunch of crap...... not too metion it does not get the mileage that pure gas does. What a sham!!!!! :mad:

I do use an ounce or so of Marine formula Sta Bil to every time I fill up. When on the road, I use the small bottles that booze comes in on airlines...... Can put an ounce or two in that bottle, just enough.

The Sta Bil will help keep the fuel from messing up your fuel systems if you let the bike sit for more than a couple days. Small price to pay for the protection it gives.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Run the octane fuel that is recommended by Victory for your particular motorcycle, it is in your owners' manual. Can't go wrong that way.
+1.

I ran regular once because I had no other choice and it ran fine so I got complacent and started using it more often. One day while out with the wife I hammered it pretty good to pass a car on a two lane road and you would have thought the engine was full of ball bearings clanging around.

I now use premium again. I haven't any clanging issues since.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I live in a small town so 91 Octane is not available so I use 87 and then add an ounce or two of octane booster. The bike has ran great so far. When I get to a larger city then I put in the 91 plus octane. I try to always use the 91 but its not always available.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Those Canadians on this forum know that premium gas is not always available across Canada... I toured there two summers ago and found that my bike ran just fine on their regular grade fuel. That said, it is much cooler there than where I live in Florida, and I have to use the mid grade 89 octane here... have never had a pinging issue with it with both myself @ 270lbs and my wife @ 155lbs and our gear even when accelerating... go figure.

Rule of thumb... and by no means the last word... for best performance and gas mileage, use the lowest octane fuel possible but no pinging!

·
13,188 Posts
What is suggested to run in these bikes? I try to run premium when possible. I live in MN where ethanol is in everything, but on occasion I can hit a station that has non-oxygenated, generally 91 octane. Should I pay the extra for that, or can I run the 87 with 10% and be OK? I can also on occasion get 88 octane I think it its with no ethanol, thoughts on that also. My bike is an 07, it has a K&N filter, I believe it has the stage 1 flash, and swept pipes. thanks
Here is a list for you http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
There was a VERY detailed "what fuel do I use" thread on here not long ago so do a search and read it. Just don't EVER use that 85 stuff (there is a lot more of it up where you are).

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just run 93 and be done with it (or 91 depending where you live). It may kill a bit of HP if you're really looking to inch out every last number, but it'll save your pistons from pinging.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know a lot of ppl say they run mid grade in theres but for me I tried it and my bike pings like crazy every time I hit the gas I actually have even heard it on 91 to. Dont know if it's a problem with my stage 1 flash or what

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
784 Posts
Plain and simple, Just run what the owners manual says. The highest octane in the area you are in will probably do it. (91-93)
There are some here that will try to give you an elaborate formula and reasons you can use the lower test stuff, but it isn't worth it. The high octane handles the heat and marginally high tune for the bike.
There is a guy on the Mini forums that makes a great living overhauling engines that have used regular. He says they will have between 50 and 70K on them when they crater. He also claims the damage he sees is only caused by predetination and the knock sensors are so good folks just don't pay attention to the engine sound. The "it don't hurt anything to use what I want" crowd have made him a wealthy man.

Hi test will keep you cooler, running better, and make you an honest man when the dealership asks what gas yo have been running. It can make a difference.

YMMV

·
Registered
91 Posts
Vic recommends I run 92 octane or higher in my '05 Vegas so I do; I use BP premium in my bike & all of my yard equipment.
I also add 1 oz. of Seafoam per gallon to the bike and gas cans for the mower, edger & blower. Everything runs great - no misfire, pinging, knocking, etc... which I was experiencing prior to the addition of Seafoam and BP premium.
I live in Florida just north of Tampa where the heat can be a real bitch, which kicks my ass more than it does the bike and yard equipment with the addition of the BP premium & Seafoam!

Hope this helps!!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no problem running the good stuff if thats what needs to be run. I have a problem getting good gas around here I guess. I have a stamart station that I generally fill at because its close to where I work. I ran 2 tanks of the 91 they offer, my mileage dropped to 42 from 47. I switched at about a 1/4 tank and filled with 87 from a shell station, my mpg climbed back to 46. So I need to stay away from stamart I guess. thanks guys for the help!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts