Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With apology to those who are offended but....
I have been an avid rider for 45 years - at least 20 years on Harleys. I decided to give a Cross Country a try. Without going into the agonizing details, this is the worst motorcycle I have ever owned. It ran horrible from the first day and - after numerous trips to the dealer, spending LOTS of money with Llyods, going back to stock and trying all over again - it still runs like it was made in a third world country.

Understand - I absolutely never wanted better performance! I just wanted the damn thing to run without popping and little backfiring or the slight hesitation as the big engine seems to do. It a brand new motorcycle and it runs like crap after 1500 miles.

My next step is to go back to the dealer and find out how much it will cost me to get rid of this pretty piece of junk. Seriously, it looks really nice - but to spend all that I have spent - with "professional", I am not just home garage bolting crap on it - this is unacceptable.

I am extremely patient and understanding and a very competent Engineer who appreciate the advanced skill of qualified wrenchers. But I'm tired of owning a bike I really don't want to ride. If I can trade back for my Ultra (its still on the floor of the dealer), then that is what I will do at least $3 or 4k wiser.

I know I will get a bunch of static if this is read by now die-hard Victory folks. You are welcome to your opinion and maybe I just have a lemon. But a motorcycle should be a joy to ride and almost an extension of a person. If yours is like this - great. Me.... I'm done.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I don't think your going to get any heat for this post. It happens in all mechanical products. I picked up a VW Jetta GLI from a dealer and got home, waxed it, checked it and found it had zero oil in it. Car had problems from day 1, dealer agreed it was basically a lemon and gave me a great deal on trade in. Bought another GLI a year newer and had that car for 4 years 110,000, oil change and tires and braker and that was it. My Vic Jackpot 35,000 miles, no problems. My new Vision 2,000 miles and counting (hot as hell here in AZ) and knock wood no problems. I would contact corporate and see what they have to say.
Wish you the best.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You correct about a motorcycle being fun to ride, if this is not the bike for you, trade it in and get riding again !

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I just wanted the damn thing to run without popping and little backfiring or the slight hesitation as the big engine seems to do. It a brand new motorcycle and it runs like crap after 1500 miles.
Popping, Oh My!!!

This seems like an unacceptable thing compared to those well "engineered" Harleys that only require stabilizers to keep them from oscillating uncontrollably in corners, chain tensioners that grind to mush and let the valves and pistons dirty dance, and crank shafts that twist giving you that great Harley vibration.

Here's a vid of my bike with only Vic Stage 1 components. No restrictive stock parts, no after market parts, no popping.

·
Registered
539 Posts
That sucks man. I know where you are coming from, not with Vics, but I have had a two cars that I went through the same kind of thing in the last 30 or so years.

First was a Nissan truck. Many people say Nissan are good vehicles but I will never own another. It wasn't so much the problems but how I was treated by the dealer and Nissan Corporate, that was about 30 years ago and I am still holding a grudge.

Now I also had to turn a Chevy Malibu back in under our state's lemon law. That was about 10 years ago, but at least they treated me pretty well and I if the right vehicle came along I might still buy a Chevrolet. I haven't in the last 10 years but I don't bad mouth them. Not so with Nissan.

So I at least hope Vic is trying to resolve the problem, and I hope you find something that you can enjoy riding again.

·
Registered
931 Posts
09 kingpin here with stage 1 from new, what I found out popping is pretty much controlled by the right hand. But a lemon is always possible from any manufacturer. I also rode 2 other vics they didn't pop either.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Always a bummer to hear about a lemon. I hope they take this bike, go through it, and fully understand where they went wrong with it so they don't repeat the mistakes. With luck there is a lemon law where you live.

·
12,970 Posts
If your willing to try this
when shifting Do Not close throttle all the way. Kind like a milded speed shift. Popping should be gone its all up to you and your mind.
Double check that your exhaust flange bolts are tight. Tuck me three rides and cool down to get them tight
Sorry it didn't work out for you. We must be about the same age

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I know this will also sound silly but it could be electrical. I did have an electrical issue on my JP and the thing popped like crazy. I reported it here on the forum and it turned out it was an easy fix, after that very few pops only on aggressive down shifts but I had shorty ground blaster pipes which seem to trend towards popping no matter what.

Give the bike a good going over, make sure when running it is around 13.8 or higher on the multimeter. If not there is the first clue. Also test the battery when off. Sometimes its a simple fix.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I would think you got a bad one. I bought mine in May with 0 miles on it, right off the showroom floor. As of this morning, I have over 4600 miles on it and I had -0- trouble. It is so much better than my GoldWing.

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Punk ass troll trying to stir the pot...FO biich go ride your pig
Hoss, we really don't need this type of thing here. The guy was stating facts as he saw them. You'd be unhappy too if that happened to you, so please be civil from now on.
I did note that was his first post, which leads me to believe he was simply relying on his intuition and/or his dealer to resolve the bike's problems and not surfing the forums. Too bad, because we could have been of great assistance to him, like the suggestion to not chop the throttle on decel to avoid most popping. I have done things to reduce popping and still get an occasional pop or two, but I know the difference between a problem and an inconvenience. Some have yet to learn that. Do the same mods to a Harley and there will be popping too.
Maybe our new friend is trying to give us a heads up, or just looking for company in his misery, or is trying to piss us off, or all three. I for one, wish he had contacted us early on--I know he'd be a lot happier with his bike had he done so.:(

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Just noticed R Weiner. Is his name. Richard Weiner??? Hmmm troll may be correct

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've had my XR for a little over two years and have 15k on her. Other than the performance Victory filter, she is bone stock. My motorcycle IS a joy to ride as well as an extension of me. Sorry yours isn't like this, but I haven't experienced ANY of the problems you mentioned so maybe your's really is just a lemon (that's been know to happen with EVERY vehicle manufacture). Me.... I'm staying with Victory (though I might add an Indian in a year or two) cheers

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Point taken Ricz but I still stand by my statement...He spent all that money and did all that stuff and never came here to ask for any kind of direction..THEN his 1st ever OP is full of insults and ridicule about the Vic..Its obviously a HD owner who had spare time to come up with a ridicules post to put down the Vics. He told on himself first paragraph. Its transparent to me. be ye warned

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I think I have to agree with Hoss on this. It ain't looking good for Mr. Weiner.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If it's trollery, there's no sense in this thread continuing to exist. Can anybody else even recall another owner of a new Vic complaining of ENGINE trouble? They got quirks like every bike, but I can't call up anyone grousing about theirs running badly. The standard list tends toward tranny noise and belt noise, which typically get the response of "suck it up, buttercup."

But engine trouble seems a new one on me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rich Weienr reply

First off, that is my real name, I am originally from NY (in fact, I grew up only 3 miles for Lloydz in Pine Bush), I am NOT related to Anthony "show my junk" running for Mayor - and I am for real.

I live in Charleston SC, ride everyday that I can and I own 2 Victory's (second one is a '06 Vegas that runs like a top with Stage 1 all set up). I am not "Harley plant" and I am very critical of HD - so much so that I traded my '11 Ultra because they can't design a bike without giving off more heat than the Sun - which makes in unbearable to ride in the summer.

Additionally, I have been riding 45 years and I am definitely NOT a throttle junkie. I know how to ride very fast, powerful machines and my cross country was never meant for that. I am easy going up and down on a throttle. But I shouldn't have to listen to ignitions in the tailpipe.

As to my competence, I take no small pride in being the design engineer of the World's first full size Hybrid Electric motorcycle - that was on Discovery Channel - and produces more HP and Torque than, I would venture to say, most everyone's ride on this forum except for those rare guys that ride the drag strip. So I know a bit about how engines SHOULD run and how machines SHOULD be designed.

However, to be appropriately humbled, what I lack is the skill set that true wrenchers always have - that extra insight into how to get things to work even better than any designer could achieve. The guy who posted the vid with his bike sounding awesome - either he worked it himself or found the right folks to make it awesome.

This all brings me to my short-fall in expectations. I own several really fine machines - Polaris Jetski, Porsche, etc. Each one of them has had minor issues which I patiently worked through with skilled mechanics, dealer, or manufacturer. In this case, I have tried having the dealer adjust the bike when completely stock to no avail. I was told "that's the best we can do". So I then tried the Llyodz VFC (since removed) after calling Llyodz because it would fix that over-lean factory setting. No luck. Tried going the Stage 1 route with exhaust baffle change and air filter. Most recently the dealer has re-flashed to stock and the bike is close to running right - but still popping (yes, I believe that a properly running touring bike should not be popping if the design is sound - again, not drag racing here). So I will keep trying - or just get rid of it.

In conclusion, I anticipated some rebuttals. Riders are passionate about riding - which is what makes it so great. And even the guy giving you grief might just come up with answer that has been missing. So, all the comments, pro ... con... or indifferent, are appreciated. And try to understand, I just want to love my ride as much as you love yours.

Ride Safe
Rich Weiner (yup, real name)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Had a 2011 Cross Country that had serious issues. Had a long list of things fixed and replaced under warranty. Final straw was when the clutch went at 25,000 miles. It was a total lemon... but that bike didn't pop.

New 2013 Cross Country Tour pops a bit. I don't find it to be any reason for concern.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts