Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, anyone ever try to run an electric drill that is metal bodied and is ice cold. If so, you know that ugly screeching/vibration sound it makes when it is cold. Well, that sound is coming from my V92C on deceleration in this weeks 50* weather. Ever heard of this anyone?

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Kinda sounds like a starter gear has a bad bearing.

Funny thing about Vic's is the starter gear is always engaged unlike a car or most other bikes I know of. It's basically a ratchet type thing that engages when the starter spins but just spins after the motor is started.

This why a lot, if not all, Vic's have that funny sound after turning the bike off sometimes. Not all the time; just sometimes. It's the motor turning the stater after it stops and turns backwards sometimes.

It's normal for Vic's until the bearing goes bad.

Pull the starter and check it out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Bbob , I was hoping it wasn't the tranny that these bikes are known for . I will have that starter checked out when I get a minute. Have you ever heard an old drill do that when it is cold? Kinda weird sounding .
Didn't find anyone with tranny issues describe this sound so I am hoping it isn't that. Thanks again

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if the Cush drive completely solved the trans issues or not . Any one know the answer or have problems with an 01 tranny? There are lots of threads on this but can't find anyone saying their 01 failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Think I have it figured out now. Here goes
ImageUploadedByMO Free1353864880.706153.jpg

Candy apple red 2001 V92C
National cycle windshield
Victory Saddlebags w/locking quick detach mounts
Victory T-Bag on the sissy bar
Not sure what else has been done , just got it 11/20/12

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually from Craigslist locally , paid $4150 for it . Two new tires and the bags went with it.
It has been setting for a while , gas is stale so I got sea foam for in that . Hopefully just running a couple tanks and it will clear it up some

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not yet but I will attempt . Tank is almost empty now anyway. Anything to know in particular about doing it?be careful of?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks , I'll keep an eye out for that

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Ok, anyone ever try to run an electric drill that is metal bodied and is ice cold. If so, you know that ugly screeching/vibration sound it makes when it is cold. Well, that sound is coming from my V92C on deceleration in this weeks 50* weather. Ever heard of this anyone?
Look up in your drive pulley for red dust in the housing. If even a small amount and you have not pulled the cover and verified the torque on the drive nut that may be your problem. First thing I thought of when you said screech and vibe.

Also, the 02s were first tranny upgrade but you would have probs with 2nd 3rd if I'm not mistaken. 03 came the freedom V92 update powerplant and tranny. I really hadn't heard a lot of 01 tranny's bad but I'm still fairly new. I have heard a lot more not having issues.

If u need help checking the pulley PM me

1 - 20 of 54 Posts