Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm told by a few just a bicycle pump is fine. You guys have a fav brand/model you like for adjusting the rear shock? Might be a really short thread. I dunno?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,202 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went the local bicycle shop. They came out and looked at my Victory and the fitting. Sold me a nice compact pump with a built-in gauge. About 30 bucks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you go with a bicycle pump, I'd make sure it is a bicycle shock pump as opposed to a bicycle tire pump. The shock pumps have a smaller chamber to make fine adjustments easier and the valve connection is also designed so that it doesn't bleed air when it is disconnected. The air volume inside the shock is so small that when you disconnect a typical tire style pump, that quick pffft as you're removing the chuck will throw off your setting.

That being said, there are plenty of motorcycle branded shock pumps out there at a reasonable price. Just make sure you get one with the correct pressure range indicated on the gauge.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I use a pump from Specialized called the Switch Hitter....works just fine.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up just picking the first one from alphamoto. I'll report how she does.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Harley-Davidson-Kawasaki-Suzuki/dp/B006ID37ZS/ref=sr_1_1/180-0200472-3512626?ie=UTF8&qid=1400427543&sr=8-1&keywords=air+shock+pump[/ame]

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
160 Posts
I bought a bicycle pump from wall mart. Works fine and doesn't cost much, i use a tire pressure gauge to check pressure, havn't had a problem with loosing pressure when removing pump from fitting.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
fox makes the victory one.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
A purpose made shock pump with pressure gauge works far better. No loss of air when connecting/disconnecting and no loss of air for adjusting pressure. Shock has very small volume and just one little psst is a couple-three psi lost.
BTW, put more air in than the scale shows. There's more weight on the bike than you think. Weigh yourself with all your gear and the stuff in your bags. I weigh 186#, but on a vehicle scale, bike and rider totaled 1020#. I got off the scale and bike was 820#. I had on about 15# of ATGATT gear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went the local bicycle shop. They came out and looked at my Victory and the fitting. Sold me a nice compact pump with a built-in gauge. About 30 bucks.
I forgot to say it is a shock pump. Has ROADMORPHG on the side?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

So this one appears to do the job completely well.

Being I'm riding solo, I went from 0 where it was from the dealer to 8lbs. The book says 0 up to 9 at 225. I'm 215ish so I figure I'll try it at 8. 0lbs appeared to ride fine for me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Off topic but this thing came with the bike. What the heck is it? Sorry I'm ignorant. :). If I had to guess it's for lock & ride stuff like a backrest or trunk maybe.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1400959391.506279.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts